Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2019, 08:58 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

So, Shoppers Food Stores are closing up shop. I wonder who will take over the College Park location. Harris Teeter? Safeway? Giant? Food Lion?

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...rs-stores.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 10:09 AM

206 posts, read 209,896 times
If the beer/wine license can stay with the store, I would think Harris Teeter would be first in line to acquire it.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:04 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
If the beer/wine license can stay with the store, I would think Harris Teeter would be first in line to acquire it.
Yes hopefully whatever it will be will keep the beer/wine license. Harris Teeter would be great for North College Park or either something like a Food Lion. Just hope there is "something" there to replace it.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:00 PM

48 posts, read 35,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
So, Shoppers Food Stores are closing up shop. I wonder who will take over the College Park location. Harris Teeter? Safeway? Giant? Food Lion?

God, I hope none of the above..well, Harris Teeter maybe.. I'm hoping either Wegmans, Kroger, Trader Joe's, Publix, etc..

Old 03-22-2019, 03:29 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoz80 View Post
God, I hope none of the above..well, Harris Teeter maybe.. I'm hoping either Wegmans, Kroger, Trader Joe's, Publix, etc..
Harris Teeter has its own positive effect like Whole Foods and Trader Joes.

Wegmans requires a parking lot size double what is there now. Also, the space is too small.

Kroger? I haven't really seen one in the inner beltway communities but would prefer more of the major players.

Trader Joe's? Apparently, they have written off the entire county. I would also prefer someone other than snobbish Trader Joe's. Even WHole Foods has ventured into neighborhoods where Trader Joe's has yet to. They are also planning on moving their Silver Spring store further up RT. 29 in a new development near Tech Rd. Closer to Prince George's County. So, I don't see them putting another one so close.

Publix? That would be a shocker. Not really their territory.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Wegmans requires a parking lot size double what is there now. Also, the space is too small.

Kroger? I haven't really seen one in the inner beltway communities but would prefer more of the major players.

Trader Joe's? Apparently, they have written off the entire county. I would also prefer someone other than snobbish Trader Joe's. Even WHole Foods has ventured into neighborhoods where Trader Joe's has yet to. They are also planning on moving their Silver Spring store further up RT. 29 in a new development near Tech Rd. Closer to Prince George's County. So, I don't see them putting another one so close.

True about Wegmans parking lots being quite large, but not sure if that's really a dealbreaker for them to not come in.. If there's a way to incorporate and find more land for parking in that area, then it stands a chance. Kroger is one of the hottest grocery stores right now..popular and getting into the tech scene with cashless/no-line check out, that we see with popular Amazon stores..perfect for such an up-and-coming techie town. Trader Joe's is picky for sure, but if Whole Foods can make it in CP, TJs certainly has a chance...the demographic for it is surely there.. And even if it does end up expanding to SS, if they want to expand into different markets, a 10 mile distance between the two is no big deal. They've got multiple TJs in the same town up in NY and NJ.. And Publix is definitely more of a southern chain but extremely popular and high quality...plus there are 15 of them in VA, so it wouldn't be out of the question for them to come up a little farther to MD..

Last edited by mmoz80; 03-22-2019 at 05:52 PM..

Old 03-22-2019, 05:34 PM

And no offense, but Safeway, Giant, and Food Lion are among the worst grocery stores anyone can possibly shop at...but I guess we'll agree to disagree on preferences. My hope is that College Park bucks the trend of the 'usual' local area grocery stores and shoots for higher quality, not status quo. I would welcome Harris Teeter though..

Last edited by mmoz80; 03-22-2019 at 06:10 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 09:27 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Quote:

I'll miss the fried and BBQ chicken. This is an opportunity for Weis Markets to open a third grocery in PG County.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:55 PM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
Quote:

Which is funny bc they sell no name brand foods. Trader Joes and Aldi are owned by brothers.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:53 PM

712 posts, read 1,091,923 times
^ Exactly. I don't understand the hype with Trader Joe's. It is very similar to Lidl, with just a smaller footprint. They've both been established here in the US as European concept grocers with a decent size selection of "high quality" produce and in-house branded foods. That being said, Lidl didn't shy away from Price George's County and opened their first store in MD here, which has been well received judging from reviews online and amount of cars in the parking lot every time I pass by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland