Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2019, 05:05 PM

340 posts, read 377,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I was surprised it lasted that long. Parking is horrendous behind those apartments. I'm not sure why those parking spaces weren't designated for retail only and then let visitors to the apartments park in the gated parking with validation.

Also, the new apartments burning down delaying more potential customers didn't help. While I'll miss Bobby's, Habit Burger is real nice sans the alcoholic shakes.

here ya go:

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/bobby-...-closings/7854
I got a free burger coupon for Habit in my email since it's my birthday month...I'm pretty sure I won't use it, waste of calories on such a poor tasting burger. Tried the chicken sandwich, just as bad. The lemonade I remember was good though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 08:54 AM

662 posts, read 783,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
Bobby Burger Place abruptly closed for good in CP....now we don't have any good fast casual places to get a burger that I can think of except Elevation Burger in all of Hyattsville, Riverdale, and College Park combined.

Oh nooo! I loved their burgers.

Habit Burger is not good.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:58 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
I got a free burger coupon for Habit in my email since it's my birthday month...I'm pretty sure I won't use it, waste of calories on such a poor tasting burger. Tried the chicken sandwich, just as bad. The lemonade I remember was good though.

Habit Burger is not even in the same league as a $9 gourmet burger. In my opinion, Habit is better than 5-guys. I mean what else do we have? McDonalds? Wendys? Burger King?

5-guys is okay, but their options are limited. I can't get avocado on a burger at 5-guys. 5-guys has one bun choice. Habit has multiple.

If we can get BurgerFi or a Whalburgers to replace Bobby's, I would be satisfied. Both serve beer!

Old 06-08-2019, 03:55 PM

340 posts, read 377,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Habit Burger is not even in the same league as a $9 gourmet burger. In my opinion, Habit is better than 5-guys. I mean what else do we have? McDonalds? Wendys? Burger King?

5-guys is okay, but their options are limited. I can't get avocado on a burger at 5-guys. 5-guys has one bun choice. Habit has multiple.

If we can get BurgerFi or a Whalburgers to replace Bobby's, I would be satisfied. Both serve beer!
To me, the issue is that most of the really good fast casual burger spots would likely prefer to locate at RPS, but certainly that isn't an option with Habit there...I'd rather have Five Guys than Habit any day of the week, but for me it's not about options, it's about getting right the 1 thing you do best. Either way, I'm going to Elevation Burger for now but I won't pretend that was as good as BBP either.

Ideally we'd get a Good Stuff Eatery...I'm not familiar with Wahlburger or BurgerFi...not as good but better than what we have would be Shake Shack, but I think all of the above would only locate at RPS as of now. Don't see any likely locations for that type of spot until the Armory development in Hyattsville delivers, the Southern Gateway project delivers, or Greenbelt Plaza redo delivers.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:04 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
The LIDL looks very cute. I like their historic berwyn sign
I never thought I'd see a grocery store on Route 1 in College Park again. It's been about 35 years.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:50 PM

220 posts, read 184,525 times
WaPo ranks the 25 best casual restaurants in the DC area. Two spots in College Park make it!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.9bd1af9b54e4

Northwest Chinese Food and Taqueria Habanero. Congrats to them!

Old 06-25-2019, 05:32 AM

220 posts, read 184,525 times
Diamondback article on the opening of LIDL in College Park https://dbknews.com/2019/06/23/colle...e-food-desert/

Old 06-25-2019, 06:46 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terp80 View Post
Diamondback article on the opening of LIDL in College Park https://dbknews.com/2019/06/23/colle...e-food-desert/
My wife and I went to Lidl this past weekend. It's nice. It certainly fills a gap. There are some things we'll still have to go to Whole Foods for. But the bulk of our shopping will transition to Lidl.

There was an article I saw that says Lidl lowers prices in areas where they locate.

Quote:
While it’s not surprising that grocery prices dropped after a Lidl store entered a market, the magnitude of the decrease surprised Gielens. She expected to see price drops similar to those seen when Walmart entered the grocery business – generally 1 to 5 percent. Instead, she found that Lidl’s overall impact was almost twice as big.

On average, competing retailers set their prices 9.3 percent lower in markets where they faced competition from Lidl compared to markets where they didn’t.

Comparisons for specific products and against specific competitors were even more dramatic. For example, the price drops for a half-gallon of milk in markets where Lidl was present was 55 percent lower than in markets where it wasn’t. Some food categories, such as avocados and bread products, saw price reductions of more than 30 percent. More frequently purchased goods, including ice cream, bananas and cheese, saw their prices go down more than 15 percent.

For individual shoppers, she found savings of up to $22 on the entire basket of 48 goods. On an annual basis, consumers might save hundreds of dollars per year.
https://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/ne...-lower-prices/

I wonder if this will impact MOMs' YES!'s and Whole Foods' prices. One can only hope.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:45 PM

712 posts, read 1,093,044 times
^ I haven't noticed the Bowie MOM's prices affected by the Bowie Lidl but College Park may be a different market for that. The Aldi in Bowie is about to expand again, this time into the space of the former liquor store next to it. My guess is that this is in response to Lidl.

Last edited by WhoDatInMD; 06-25-2019 at 04:56 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 10:22 AM

282 posts, read 322,663 times
City hall update
https://route1reporter.com/2019/07/1...ity-hall-park/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland