Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 10:22 PM

662 posts, read 775,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I was hoping for a Fall groundbreaking for the Southern Gateway. The Hall at CP has been years in the making for such a small development. Nevertheless, progress.

Any word on the big hole in the ground next to the Laundrymat? I read that they needed a new DSP because they had to do a complete demolition of the property. But I haven't seen anything yet.

It would be a tragic comedy if it took the owners 10 years to develop that one parcel of land. lol

Original story October 8, 2015:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...919_story.html

That developer needs to sell that land. He is slow w/everything he owns in CP. He's the reason we don't have a Hilal Guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 12:51 AM

48 posts, read 35,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
That developer needs to sell that land. He is slow w/everything he owns in CP. He's the reason we don't have a Hilal Guys!
I think what will end up happening is that the University will give him an offer he can't refuse for that land, like they did with the #1 Liquors store which is now Vigilante Coffee over by University View... Look for that to happen soon (3-4 months)..

Old 08-28-2019, 10:13 AM

7,070 posts, read 9,492,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
Couple of nuggets in that packet
If Crunch Fitness is confirmed as the first tenant, it will more than likely take the spot of the proposed movie theater/entertainment spot. No other retail space will be large enough to contain a movie theater on the site.

I'm kind of disappointed about them putting a gym there. There's a brand new Gold's Gym at Riverdale Park station less than a mile away. An LA Fitness at PG Plaza Metro, a Planet Fitness at the mall across the street from the Metro, and an Orangetheory Fitness in downtown College Park. Not to mention the fitness rooms in each new apartment building. It would have been nice to be able to walk to a movie theater for students and residents. Regal Cinemas in Hyattsville needs a refresh. They need an IMAX and reclining seats. Their visitor numbers would increase.

If the Crunch Fitness is a Crunch Signature club that includes childcare, that would compel me to drop Gold's Gym since Crunch would be closer to home.

According to a recent post from mmoz80, the Southern Gateway groundbreaking has been moved to next year.

The Wawa news has me perplexed. There's a Wawa a half-mile (0.6 miles according to Google) from Ikea on the same road. I thought Wawas were a little more spaced out than that. At least one on the corner of RT. 1 and Rt. 193 would be more understandable. But those two Wawas will be extremely close to each other.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Couple of nuggets in that packet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoz80 View Post
I think what will end up happening is that the University will give him an offer he can't refuse for that land, like they did with the #1 Liquors store which is now Vigilante Coffee over by University View... Look for that to happen soon (3-4 months)..

I imagine he would start getting fines until he at least removes the rest of the structure and fills the hole so that it is a flat pad ready for construction. Hell, he could create a private parking lot and make some money off of it in the meantime at least.

Like I said before, at least hang a sign advertising a new development or a brief sketch of the new plans. It looks like a fenced-off biohazard. lol

Old 08-28-2019, 02:35 PM

340 posts, read 372,428 times
Quote:
If Crunch Fitness is confirmed as the first tenant, it will more than likely take the spot of the proposed movie theater/entertainment spot. No other retail space will be large enough to contain a movie theater on the site.

I'm kind of disappointed about them putting a gym there. There's a brand new Gold's Gym at Riverdale Park station less than a mile away. An LA Fitness at PG Plaza Metro, a Planet Fitness at the mall across the street from the Metro, and an Orangetheory Fitness in downtown College Park. Not to mention the fitness rooms in each new apartment building. It would have been nice to be able to walk to a movie theater for students and residents. Regal Cinemas in Hyattsville needs a refresh. They need an IMAX and reclining seats. Their visitor numbers would increase.

If the Crunch Fitness is a Crunch Signature club that includes childcare, that would compel me to drop Gold's Gym since Crunch would be closer to home.
I'm happy with Crunch coming, more fitness studios are a good thing for the area in general. I'm hoping for even more as the area continues to grow. I don't think we have good gym options in the area as they all have fatal flaws. Based on what I've read Crunch should be a blend of good pricing, classes, up to date equipment, and other amenities that isn't available around here. I can't get past the price at Gold's, nice gym, but even the cheapest offering is astronomical pricing for a big box gym. They are clearly capitalizing on the LACK of alternatives.

Also, we don't need another Regal or AMC, the only way the movie theater would be worth having is if it's a boutique style theater like Atlantic Plumbing Company Theater which I read is ~11,000sqft, otherwise it was only going to be another AMC/Regal type just doesn't add much over Greenbelt and UTC.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I'm happy with Crunch coming, more fitness studios are a good thing for the area in general. I'm hoping for even more as the area continues to grow. I don't think we have good gym options in the area as they all have fatal flaws. Based on what I've read Crunch should be a blend of good pricing, classes, up to date equipment, and other amenities that isn't available around here. I can't get past the price at Gold's, nice gym, but even the cheapest offering is astronomical pricing for a big box gym. They are clearly capitalizing on the LACK of alternatives.

Also, we don't need another Regal or AMC, the only way the movie theater would be worth having is if it's a boutique style theater like Atlantic Plumbing Company Theater which I read is ~11,000sqft, otherwise it was only going to be another AMC/Regal type just doesn't add much over Greenbelt and UTC.
I agree on all points. I'll have to check Crunch out. Also, I didn't consider boutique single-screen theaters. I think AFI is a single screen theater if I'm not mistaken. I'd like a single screen iPIC but that's just me. lol

Old 08-28-2019, 04:51 PM

340 posts, read 372,428 times
Quote:
I agree on all points. I'll have to check Crunch out. Also, I didn't consider boutique single-screen theaters. I think AFI is a single screen theater if I'm not mistaken. I'd like a single screen iPIC but that's just me. lol
https://www.borderstan.com/2015/10/1...near-u-street/

Atlantic Plumbing is 6 smaller screens with about 35 seats each at 10-11k sqft, so the southern gateway has 2 more slots that can fit something comparable. I think this is the trend anyway, these older larger theaters like Beltway Plaza and Beltsville AMC are retro fitting something to make it feel like a more small, comfortable vibe with the reduced seating, large leather recliners, etc.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:17 PM

220 posts, read 183,236 times
Fishnet closed yesterday. Very sad, that was a really nice spot.

https://dbknews.com/2019/08/27/umd-r...ishnet-closed/

Old 08-29-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
https://www.borderstan.com/2015/10/1...near-u-street/

Atlantic Plumbing is 6 smaller screens with about 35 seats each at 10-11k sqft, so the southern gateway has 2 more slots that can fit something comparable. I think this is the trend anyway, these older larger theaters like Beltway Plaza and Beltsville AMC are retrofitting something to make it feel like a more small, comfortable vibe with the reduced seating, large leather recliners, etc.
Cool. That looks nice. I would definitely go to a theater like that.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:51 PM

220 posts, read 183,236 times
https://dbknews.com/2019/08/29/holly...lly-scheduled/

Construction on the much-anticipated Hollywood Gateway Park in northern College Park may not be complete until at least a month after its original deadline.
Construction on the park began in March after multiple delays, at which time city planning director Terry Schum said construction was expected to finish Sept. 1. But with that deadline just a few days away and the park still on its way to completion, Schum said construction might now continue into late October.

-----------------
https://dbknews.com/2019/09/02/marat...nese-demolish/

A developer is looking to demolish two properties in the College Park Shopping Center just off Baltimore Avenue, according to planning documents filed with Prince George’s County.
The stores that would be demolished include Marathon Deli, a UPS store, 7-Eleven, Café Hookah, Kevin Nails, Lotsa Pizza, Krazi Kebob, Insomnia Cookies and C.B. Chinese Grill, confirmed Ryan Chelton, the city’s economic development coordinator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland