Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 04:49 AM

341 posts, read 423,663 times

Advertisements

As I said long ago, Maryland should have established itself in aggressively picking off smaller agencies. I understand that FBI stands to get the lions share of funding, but they are not the only game in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 07:03 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Maryland has to be near the bottom of states President Trump will want to help. Instead of the Purple Line, they should build a highway instead. Call it Brian Frosh Boulevard.
That's smart, hurt the entire country in handicapping the most important agency in the justice department to spite a state he wasn't going to win anyway. If that's the case he would have just put it in Virginia. That way he helps the FBI while sticking it to Maryland.

No, he's sticking it to the FB because of their investigation of him and his family. THat's more plausible. I'm sure he would rather the FBI wither away. That way he can do as he pleases without the fear of an investigation.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghead View Post
As I said long ago, Maryland should have established itself in aggressively picking off smaller agencies. I understand that FBI stands to get the lions share of funding, but they are not the only game in town.
Hilton is looking for a HQ in Tyson's. They should go after them. But I think they should go after opportunities as they arise, big or small.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:14 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
That's smart, hurt the entire country in handicapping the most important agency in the justice department to spite a state he wasn't going to win anyway. If that's the case he would have just put it in Virginia. That way he helps the FBI while sticking it to Maryland.

No, he's sticking it to the FB because of their investigation of him and his family. THat's more plausible. I'm sure he would rather the FBI wither away. That way he can do as he pleases without the fear of an investigation.
Yeah it's Trump's fault even though the Obama Administration had eight (8) years to make a decision and kept postponing it. This whole thing started during the second GW Bush term.

I told you guys a couple years ago that this was likely to happen. The deal had too many moving parts and unknown costs which, apparently according to what I've read, kept increasing.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah it's Trump's fault even though the Obama Administration had eight (8) years to make a decision and kept postponing it. This whole thing started during the second GW Bush term.

I told you guys a couple years ago that this was likely to happen. The deal had too many moving parts and unknown costs which, apparently according to what I've read, kept increasing.
I wouldn't fault the Obama Administration. At least they didn't kill it. It was moving along and reached the goal line where Trump could have easily helped it cross over. First, appoint the head of the GSA. Second, make sure that it had the funding. No, after hundreds of millions spent, he failed to appoint the head of the GSA and then simply says no when a bidder was about to be selected.

It reminds me of the judge in the Purple Line case. Multiple administrations helped the Purple Line along and then Hogan delays it. Only for a judge to say no. The fault may lay with those earlier administrations and the current one for delays, but I think most blame lays at those who actually kill a project when it is at the goal line after so much time and money has already been spent. Those two examples are huge wastes and it sends the wrong signal to private investments in public projects. I mean think about it. We're talking about a few billion dollars invested in a building that should last about another 50 - 60 years. THat's peanuts when you consider the return on investment. Yet we can spend $2 billion on ONE plane that we use to fly around on training missions and usually sits in a hanger or a boat somewhere. Smart money I tell ya.

The problem is that our governments, federal and local, have mastered ways to be the most inefficient in the world. Infrastructure projects that clearly have more benefits than harm should be fast tracked. THe FBI building is old, crumbling, moldy and handicaps the FBI. Clearly there is a benefit to move it to a new location in a new building wherever it is. Yet, we found a way to muck that up.

I just keep remembering Rome. We may be headed for a fall faster than Rome fell.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:03 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
I wouldn't fault the Obama Administration. At least they didn't kill it. It was moving along and reached the goal line where Trump could have easily helped it cross over. First, appoint the head of the GSA. Second, make sure that it had the funding. No, after hundreds of millions spent, he failed to appoint the head of the GSA and then simply says no when a bidder was about to be selected.

It reminds me of the judge in the Purple Line case. Multiple administrations helped the Purple Line along and then Hogan delays it. Only for a judge to say no. The fault may lay with those earlier administrations and the current one for delays, but I think most blame lays at those who actually kill a project when it is at the goal line after so much time and money has already been spent. Those two examples are huge wastes and it sends the wrong signal to private investments in public projects. I mean think about it. We're talking about a few billion dollars invested in a building that should last about another 50 - 60 years. THat's peanuts when you consider the return on investment. Yet we can spend $2 billion on ONE plane that we use to fly around on training missions and usually sits in a hanger or a boat somewhere. Smart money I tell ya.

The problem is that our governments, federal and local, have mastered ways to be the most inefficient in the world. Infrastructure projects that clearly have more benefits than harm should be fast tracked. THe FBI building is old, crumbling, moldy and handicaps the FBI. Clearly there is a benefit to move it to a new location in a new building wherever it is. Yet, we found a way to muck that up.

I just keep remembering Rome. We may be headed for a fall faster than Rome fell.
The acting director of GSA is in place. The recommendation to proceed, postpone or cancel, while made at that level, would be based on the recommendations of lower level career employees. If the project was feasible it would have been green lighted earlier. As I said, way too many moving parts, the biggest and most problematic being the current FBI HQ. If it's in as bad a shape as claimed it's a tear down.

The way some of you guys talk you'd think that the federal government only has about 100 employees and they're all Cabinet Secretaries or department heads.

The Purple Line was simply fiscal, there just isn't enough money at the state level.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The acting director of GSA is in place. The recommendation to proceed, postpone or cancel, while made at that level, would be based on the recommendations of lower level career employees. If the project was feasible it would have been green lighted earlier. As I said, way too many moving parts, the biggest and most problematic being the current FBI HQ. If it's in as bad a shape as claimed it's a tear down.

The way some of you guys talk you'd think that the federal government only has about 100 employees and they're all Cabinet Secretaries or department heads.

The Purple Line was simply fiscal, there just isn't enough money at the state level.
Moving parts or not, it's all about where you put your focus. Our military is the most efficient in the world. Wonder why? Wars create wealth. Public projects don't create wealth on the level that wars do. And there are more moving parts in the military as there is in the GSA. But we sure can mount a massive ground incursion in the span of weeks.

So, are there not enough employees? Slow computers? Too much red tape? Or simply not enough focus on public infrastructure because it's not a wealth creator? It took Congress weeks to give Wall Street an $800 billion loan (creating wealth). Yet we can't find the time and resources to find the FBI a new building over a decade? I'm not buyin' it. If it doesn't benefit the wealthy, it simply won't get done or at least not done fast enough. How long did it take us to spin up NASA to send us to the moon? Less than a decade I'm sure. Because that's where the focus was. The space race. There should be an infrastructure race. But it's just not sexy enough I guess.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:20 AM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghead View Post
MD has lot of other agencies located within the state. I am not sure why people think we don't.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
MD has lot of other agencies located within the state. I am not sure why people think we don't.
I didn't say we didn't have other agencies; I think we should aggressively attempt to seduce them all.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:

This is just a tad breathless. FBI has had its share of screw ups and they are always rewarded with more, more, more. The more effective approach is to expand the influence of ATF, ICE, DEA, etc. instead of constantly thinking of FBI as the end-all be-all. They aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland