Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 11:53 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neirbod View Post
Per Fox 5, Greenbelt is the likely winner:

Source: FBI headquarters likely to relocate to Maryland | WTTG
This article hasn't provided anything different than what we discussed in here. And even if the democrats won, I don't think VA would have gotten the nod. What kind of precedent is that? I'd think giving a state preferential treatment just because the former governor holds a federal position would be a conflict of interest in a "tri-state" region such as ours and an unfair advantage if a sitting Vice President could, against practicality and sound financial judgment, grab all real estate deals for his state no matter the added cost to his/her state.

For example, could Tim Kaine say that any new high-speed rail from DC to NYC should start in Richmond simply because he is Vice President even though it would add billions to the cost? Just doesn't sound right. Maybe there is some truth to it. But we all know Springfield would cost the government more, and as Vice President, good luck on him trying to convince the new Governor of VA to pony up more dough to pay the extra costs, which would come from Virginia taxpayers, not federal. Yeah. I could see that happening. lol

Maryland is a consideration simply because it is a good choice. Not because of political advantages. It simply offers the best options over Virginia. Most people understand that if they are honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 12:01 PM

53 posts, read 73,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
This article hasn't provided anything different than what we discussed in here.
Did you view the video? It gives more information than the text. It claims Fox 5 has inside information that "the new site requirements... are putting Greenbelt MD far in the lead." People here and elsewhere have speculated as much, but if insiders are saying this it carries a lot more weight. It may not be accurate, but it is new information.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Did you view the video? It gives more information than the text. It claims Fox 5 has inside information that "the new site requirements... are putting Greenbelt MD far in the lead." People here and elsewhere have speculated as much, but if insiders are saying this it carries a lot more weight. It may not be accurate, but it is new information.
I'm not blaming you for sharing the article. Fox News is kinda late to the game. I didn't have to view the video. There was an entire Washington Post article including other articles on GSA's new site requirements which we discussed that puts Greenbelt in an even better position than it was before.

Therefore, this article/video just confirmed what we already knew. I would expect the GSA to lean toward Greenbelt. They would be dishonest with themselves and their own requirements if they didn't.

My other point was that even if the Dems won the White House, I don't think Tim Kaine would have been able to put the FBI HQ in VA. While it wouldn't have mattered to people outside the Beltway, there would be too much blowback inside the Beltway. The location of the new FBI will last well beyond the 4 or 8 years Tim Kaine would be in office. That would just be bad for Washington Area cooperation going forward. Just my humble opinion.

PS: After viewing the video, it says the same thing the article says for the most part. And they interviewed a bunch of uninformed people on the street. Do they know how much a single jet fighter/bomber costs? lol In addition, the GSA is a different agency than the FTA in regards to the statement about WMATA. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:40 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,615 times
Quote:
I'm hopeful but I wouldn't put anything past this new administration...even if it makes the most sense.

For all we know, Trump could put out a tweet tomorrow saying "Scrape the FBI project and build it in Kalamazoo MI where we need jobs #DraintheSwamp", he is crazy enough to do that.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:54 AM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I'm hopeful but I wouldn't put anything past this new administration...even if it makes the most sense.

For all we know, Trump could put out a tweet tomorrow saying "Scrape the FBI project and build it in Kalamazoo MI where we need jobs #DraintheSwamp", he is crazy enough to do that.
lol he really is
And I have seen too many articles that government agencies should move to the midwest

Old 12-24-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
lol he really is
And I have seen too many articles that government agencies should move to the midwest
The three finalists are about as baked in as you're going to get. Any drastic change this late in the game would cost the federal and local governments millions of dollars already spent on what has been a ten-year process. I think there are lower hanging fruit for Trump to pick rather than scrapping something that is so far along in the process. Even after money has already been allocated by congress.

Doing nothing is not sustainable. The current building is crumbling around the FBI. I'm not sure why people are so afraid that Trump is going to reverse every single thing the government has done the past 8 years. There are hundreds of moves, base consolidations, transit projects, etc that would have to be reconsidered. I think Trump will already have his hands full internationally if he keeps up with his current Tweet storms.

The Purple Line is safe. The FBI relocation is safe. It would take Trump two terms to undo everything currently in motion. And for what? Just to tinker with it? I just don't think those two projects are at the top of his list. His top priorities are international trade, Obamacare, and immigration.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:10 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
The three finalists are about as baked in as you're going to get. Any drastic change this late in the game would cost the federal and local governments millions of dollars already spent on what has been a ten-year process. I think there are lower hanging fruit for Trump to pick rather than scrapping something that is so far along in the process. Even after money has already been allocated by congress.

Doing nothing is not sustainable. The current building is crumbling around the FBI. I'm not sure why people are so afraid that Trump is going to reverse every single thing the government has done the past 8 years. There are hundreds of moves, base consolidations, transit projects, etc that would have to be reconsidered. I think Trump will already have his hands full internationally if he keeps up with his current Tweet storms.

The Purple Line is safe. The FBI relocation is safe. It would take Trump two terms to undo everything currently in motion. And for what? Just to tinker with it? I just don't think those two projects are at the top of his list. His top priorities are international trade, Obamacare, and immigration.
You're probably right, but then again what he chooses to whine about on any given day appears to be completely random.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:59 AM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
Quote:

I didn't say it was valid so I didn't really need a 3 paragraph response saying the same stuff you always say. Buuut ok

Old 12-27-2016, 06:23 AM

341 posts, read 423,663 times
His top priorities is to be very, very, very smart and very, very, very tough. Sad!

Old 12-28-2016, 01:43 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
You're probably right, but then again what he chooses to whine about on any given day appears to be completely random.
Exactly. He may wake up at 3AM and tweet about the FBI HQ out of nowhere and it wouldn't phase anybody.

The guy is completely unpredictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland