Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 09:15 AM

662 posts, read 782,508 times

Advertisements

uh ok

New York developer Don Peebles, a longtime colleague of Donald Trump who met with the president-elect last month, said he thinks the multibillion-dollar FBI HQ decision will reach Trump's desk.

Peebles told Bisnow he and Trump discussed the GSA, the agency that controls the federal government's real estate, during their meeting. The relocation of the FBI HQ — which has been narrowed down to three sites in Greenbelt and Landover, MD, and Springfield, VA — will be one of the biggest decisions the GSA has to make during Trump's term. The selection announcement had been scheduled to come in late 2016 but was then pushed back to March. While Peebles expects Trump to generally take a hands-off approach to the agency's activities, he thinks major decisions like the FBI HQ will reach the president's desk. The relocation will likely include a swap with a developer to build on the Hoover Building site on Pennsylvania Avenue (below). Trump still holds the majority interest in the Old Post Office building hotel he redeveloped across the street, which presents one of the developer's most clear-cut conflicts of interest, but his ability to sway the FBI decision could present more problems. Two of the New York-based developers bidding on the projects have deep ties with the president-elect. Unless Trump divests from the hotel, as ethics watchdogs in and out of government have urged him to do, the selection of the developer of the Hoover Building will have a direct impact on his finances.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...medium=Browser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 02:20 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
I would be interesting in hearing thoughts on Prince George's County's sanctuary policy and how it will impact there ability to land new Federal agencies like the FBI? Do you think it's political posturing from the current administration or do you think that they could/would exclude the county from further consideration of this project as well as the DHS project which is scheduled for Branch Avenue.

Personally, I don't feel the policy adds value to the direction that the county is trying to move in economically. Especially given the current political climate. Thoughts?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.d636d6ffa7b6

Old 02-28-2017, 07:38 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,564,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I would be interesting in hearing thoughts on Prince George's County's sanctuary policy and how it will impact there ability to land new Federal agencies like the FBI? Do you think it's political posturing from the current administration or do you think that they could/would exclude the county from further consideration of this project as well as the DHS project which is scheduled for Branch Avenue.

Personally, I don't feel the policy adds value to the direction that the county is trying to move in economically. Especially given the current political climate. Thoughts?

Anything is possible with this administration. The administration says they want to give more power to the states and shrink the federal government. Well, that means that they have less to say about what states do within their own borders. I don't know. I think you can't have it both ways. You want to shrink the government and its regulations, but on the other hand, you're expanding the federal government and its regulations in terms of immigration. Put your money where your mouth is. Let the states figure it out.

They can argue for national security, but I think we all know that was just a way to get votes. Fear gets people to the ballot box. There are more incidents of terrorism from natural born citizens than there is from anyone foreign born. A majority of immigrants, I think, come here to work. Others are coming for refuge for whatever reason. In a country with a few hundred million workers with an unemployment rate of 5%, you're going to attract people from other countries looking for work. I'm just sayin.

Having said that, I don't think the FBI location really matters to them. If anything, the developers for the Greenbelt site include partners based in New York. There may be a connection there that favors Greenbelt. Who knows. Like I said, this administration is a bunch of wildcards. I don't think the Virginia site is financially viable. Trump likes to save money. Maryland is throwing a lot of money at the Greenbelt site. That should play in their favor.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:46 AM

53 posts, read 73,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post

Ike Leggett makes some good, legal points about a state wide sanctuary bill being considered - “I think the [Trump immigration] policy is terrible,” Leggett said. “I know there’s this clamor that we should do something, make a difference and so forth, but this [bill, the Maryland Trust Act] doesn’t do it. I want to concentrate on how to help families and provide legal support—this doesn’t do that.”

I tend to agree with Mr. Leggett. I worry that well-intentioned state or county sanctuary efforts may provide little substantive protection while raising numerous other legal and policing problems, and jeopardize federal investment in the region.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:44 AM

53 posts, read 73,158 times
The decision is once again delayed, now pending budget approval:

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...d-pending.html

Old 03-11-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neirbod View Post
The decision is once again delayed, now pending budget approval:

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...d-pending.html
This doesn't make sense. Either they are going to change the goalposts again or they are going to let the building in DC crumble around them. They can pick a site without the need for the budget. The point is, the FBI has to move regardless. Pick the site, then work on the budget. GEeze.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:54 PM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
Mikulski worked so hard to get that language into the budget! Now it has to be re-appropriated?!!!

Old 03-13-2017, 06:05 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
This doesn't make sense. Either they are going to change the goalposts again or they are going to let the building in DC crumble around them. They can pick a site without the need for the budget. The point is, the FBI has to move regardless. Pick the site, then work on the budget. GEeze.
I think that with a new party in office, they are looking to change the terms(like what was mentioned in the article). The current party was never happy with the property exchange so it wouldn't be surprising if the move to cancel the current solicitation and reissue it without the exchange requirement.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:54 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
This is going nowhere anytime soon. I suspect it will be a decade before we even begin to see ground move on a headquarters rebuild, which sucks for the county if they were to choose PG.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8fbde9fc0cb4

Old 03-13-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This is going nowhere anytime soon. I suspect it will be a decade before we even begin to see ground move on a headquarters rebuild, which sucks for the county if they were to choose PG.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8fbde9fc0cb4
Well, PG is in a good position. If I were the county, I'd cut my potential losses and push to develop one of the two sites without the FBI. Namely, Landover and not wait. Leave Greenbelt for the FBI. Springfield doesn't have the luxury of having two sites. So they would still need to wait as well. But with current facilities already at the SPringfield location, it's no biggie for them to wait longer either.

My thing is, they can still pick a site and leave the details for later. It doesn't matter if there's a change in who gets what, there's still a site that is the best choice based on the criteria. At least if developers knew what site was chosen, they can get started on their plans to support the new FBI location.

Doing it this way freezes everything indefinitely and hurts economic progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland