Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2022, 04:15 PM

2,244 posts, read 3,891,769 times

Advertisements

Fairfax accuses Metro of playing favorites by supporting the Greenbelt site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPmCPyrPr2U
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 08:07 PM

1,164 posts, read 754,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCarea View Post
NOVA already has enough things going for them. PG needs development and access to good paying jobs.
How many people working in FBI HQ would actually be from PGC, though? This is like how many Goddard Space Center employees actually live in PGC...

And even if they live in PGC they would be living in the like of Greenbelt or College Park or at max, Laurel area.
=====
Anyway IMHO it's down to Greenbelt v. Franconia/Springfield. Landover Mall site? Bad transit access and just away from everything overall.

Ultimately, though, I don't know how much economic development can truly be spawned from having FBI HQ. This is not the like of NIH (Look at all the pharma/biotech in MoCo) or DOD/Pentagon or NSA (Just look at the number of defense/gov't IT related company in Annapolis Junctions...). It moves job to the area but that's about it. Hack if they increase the size of GSFC (I doubt it...) that actually would drive more economic development to the area than FBI HQ.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:56 PM

211 posts, read 233,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
How many people working in FBI HQ would actually be from PGC, though? This is like how many Goddard Space Center employees actually live in PGC...

And even if they live in PGC they would be living in the like of Greenbelt or College Park or at max, Laurel area.
=====
Anyway IMHO it's down to Greenbelt v. Franconia/Springfield. Landover Mall site? Bad transit access and just away from everything overall.

Ultimately, though, I don't know how much economic development can truly be spawned from having FBI HQ. This is not the like of NIH (Look at all the pharma/biotech in MoCo) or DOD/Pentagon or NSA (Just look at the number of defense/gov't IT related company in Annapolis Junctions...). It moves job to the area but that's about it. Hack if they increase the size of GSFC (I doubt it...) that actually would drive more economic development to the area than FBI HQ.

There would be a lot of support functions, like HR, finance, IT, contracting, facilities, etc. It’s not all special agents and intelligence analysts. I don’t know the HQ headcount, but for a major DOJ component like that, it would certainly help the local area. It would help support the local businesses, like people going out for lunch, there are business travelers, and use of services that the agency contracts out.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:27 AM

7,075 posts, read 9,516,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDurbanist View Post
The GSA released their Summary of Selection Criteria and Evaluation Methodology for the FBI HQ.

Fact Sheet: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/2022-0...ct%20Sheet.pdf

Site Selection Plan: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/2022-0...edacted)_0.pdf

I'm a big Greenbelt booster and think that the Greenbelt site is the best location, but reviewing the evaluation metrics, the GSA puts the most weight (35/100 points) on proximity to the FBI Academy Quantico as well as other FBI assets/DOJ.

With no traffic, Springfield is 37 minutes to the academy (will receive a Blue rating for most advantageous), Landover is 57 minutes (will receive a Green rating for second best), and Greenbelt is 1 hour 5 minutes away (Yellow for third best).

This distance to Quantico is FBI and the GSA's Criteria #1, and the GSA's fine print is that the final HQ site will have to earn a Blue rating (best) for Criteria #1 (which would disqualify Greenbelt and Landover), as well as having to be the best option for Criteria #2 (Transportation Access), Criteria #3 (Site Development Flexibility), AND Criteria #5 (Cost).

Where PG sites would make up some points is Criteria #4 (Equity), yet the top contender conveniently does not have to get the best rating in this and the sites won't be compared against one another. Greenbelt could also get a Blue rating for transportation, but so would Springfield with its close access to VRE.

TLDR: the cards are stacked against Greenbelt and Landover because the FBI's main priority is to be as close to Quantico as possible. Looks like Springfield is going to get it. This is a shame, since Christopher Wray is already getting his way with a smaller downtown exec HQ, which the GSA is looking for a site now with other criteria.

I hope I'm wrong but welcome other's insights into what they think the metric breakdowns would be.
I can almost guarantee you Springfield won't get it. Few reasons.

1. Equity. NoVa JUST got Amazon. Has the Silicon corridor.

2. Springfield mixing bowl south is a ****show on a good day. They also got the Mark Center in Alexandria on the southern end of 395.

3. There was a discussion when this started that most of the FBI employees lived in MD. Not sure if that is true or not. But you're going to have a TON or unhappy employees if they have to add 30+ minutes to their commute.

4. Traffic balancing. You immediately free up some traffic going into DC by terminating southbound traffic at Greenbelt.

5. The Maryland delegation pushing for a Maryland site is pretty senior in Congress. Pretty sure there have been discussions with top officials where they want the FBI to go.

6. You'd have to convince people that there is a tactical and National Security requirement for the FBI to be a certain distance to Quantico in the age of remote technology. Also, exactly how many employees are required drive to and from Quantico from the FBI building for face-to-face meetings? Training? Or if they know they will spend a day in Quantico, do they drive straight from their homes?

But hey, if they want to shove the FBI in Springfield because it is close to Quantico, by all means go for it.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:37 AM

7,075 posts, read 9,516,864 times
Hmmmmm. Does Metro know something we don't? I'm not sure if the article specifies if Metro is also getting the Springfield Metro site ready. The article is behind a paywall. Not trying to spend money on a subscription. I already have tons of subscriptions.

Metro readies Greenbelt site for potential FBI headquarters win

Old 09-26-2022, 08:22 AM

2,744 posts, read 2,386,486 times
Quote:

=====

To the bold, how do you know that?

Old 09-26-2022, 08:41 AM

4,371 posts, read 4,223,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
So not in Montgomery or Calvert Counties? NOVA is a logistical nightmare as far as traffic is a concern.
Basically everywhere in the DMV is a logistical nightmare. Some may live in Montgomery. But I think Howard might be more appealing if it is in Greenbelt.

Old 09-26-2022, 09:16 AM

1,164 posts, read 754,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
To the bold, how do you know that?
To be fair, I was kind of thinking only about the demographics that would pick HoCo/AACo instead of somewhere in PGC. I stand corrected.

Although not even sure why AACo is mentioned - other than Odenton/Crofton and the part of Laurel in AACo the commute are not exactly great and you may just as well live in MoCo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCarea View Post
There would be a lot of support functions, like HR, finance, IT, contracting, facilities, etc. It’s not all special agents and intelligence analysts. I don’t know the HQ headcount, but for a major DOJ component like that, it would certainly help the local area. It would help support the local businesses, like people going out for lunch, there are business travelers, and use of services that the agency contracts out.
Sure...but look at the area around Census Bureau (Suitland) - it's still, well, not that great of an area.

Greenbelt at least is in that area where lots of development are going on in inner PGC standard - "Old" Hyattsville, Riverdale Park, Greenbelt itself, or College Park - all are either good area or areas that are looking up. Ok...too many threads by adelphi_sky .

Old 09-26-2022, 12:12 PM

4,371 posts, read 4,223,699 times
Quote:
To be fair, I was kind of thinking only about the demographics that would pick HoCo/AACo instead of somewhere in PGC. I stand corrected.

Although not even sure why AACo is mentioned - other than Odenton/Crofton and the part of Laurel in AACo the commute are not exactly great and you may just as well live in MoCo.

Sure...but look at the area around Census Bureau (Suitland) - it's still, well, not that great of an area.

Greenbelt at least is in that area where lots of development are going on in inner PGC standard - "Old" Hyattsville, Riverdale Park, Greenbelt itself, or College Park - all are either good area or areas that are looking up. Ok...too many threads by adelphi_sky .
Yeah. I never took the Landover location seriously in part for that reason along with lack of metro. It was always between Greenbelt and Springfield.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:46 PM

18,579 posts, read 10,540,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Basically everywhere in the DMV is a logistical nightmare. Some may live in Montgomery. But I think Howard might be more appealing if it is in Greenbelt.
No you said people would rather live in NOVA and you ignore Montgomery and Calvert Counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland