Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2022, 07:22 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Whoa. That was fast. My money is on Greenbelt. If selected...
uh huh. You should probably start a new thread on this next round of 'when...?'

ftr: I don't have a dog in this fight. Good luck to Greenbelt... etc.
But I'm still firmly in the " I'll believe it when I see it " camp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 07:35 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
uh huh. You should probably start a new thread on this next round of 'when...?'

ftr: I don't have a dog in this fight. Good luck to Greenbelt... etc.
But I'm still firmly in the " I'll believe it when I see it " camp.
Yeah. I'm not holding my breath. But the difference this time is that the dems are in control and they are starting where they left off, not starting over. The three sites are still the same. Also, the decision is coming before elections and not after. That should eliminate a potential for more delays from any administrative transitions.

We'll see.

Old 09-16-2022, 07:29 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
This decision should be coming up in the next few weeks. big news for real estate in the DC region.

Here is how I see it in chances of winning.

1. Greenbelt (50%)
Metro, 495/95, Metro, MARC, MD 193. Huge surrounding development potential (Beltway Plaza Mall),
close-ish to downtown DC (32 minute commute per Google to Capitol hill), adds more west to east morning traffic, UMD

2. Springfield (35%)
Metro, 95, already developed, closer to Quantico, close to downtown DC (29 minute commute to Capitol Hill, per Google)

3. Landover (15%)
Large track of undeveloped land ready for development (old mall site), 495, huge development potential at the FedEX site once Commanders abandon the current stadium, close to downtown DC (28 min. to Capitol hill per Google).

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 09-16-2022 at 07:43 AM..

Old 09-23-2022, 09:01 PM

6 posts, read 3,542 times
The GSA released their Summary of Selection Criteria and Evaluation Methodology for the FBI HQ.

Fact Sheet: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/2022-0...ct%20Sheet.pdf

Site Selection Plan: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/2022-0...edacted)_0.pdf

I'm a big Greenbelt booster and think that the Greenbelt site is the best location, but reviewing the evaluation metrics, the GSA puts the most weight (35/100 points) on proximity to the FBI Academy Quantico as well as other FBI assets/DOJ.

With no traffic, Springfield is 37 minutes to the academy (will receive a Blue rating for most advantageous), Landover is 57 minutes (will receive a Green rating for second best), and Greenbelt is 1 hour 5 minutes away (Yellow for third best).

This distance to Quantico is FBI and the GSA's Criteria #1, and the GSA's fine print is that the final HQ site will have to earn a Blue rating (best) for Criteria #1 (which would disqualify Greenbelt and Landover), as well as having to be the best option for Criteria #2 (Transportation Access), Criteria #3 (Site Development Flexibility), AND Criteria #5 (Cost).

Where PG sites would make up some points is Criteria #4 (Equity), yet the top contender conveniently does not have to get the best rating in this and the sites won't be compared against one another. Greenbelt could also get a Blue rating for transportation, but so would Springfield with its close access to VRE.

TLDR: the cards are stacked against Greenbelt and Landover because the FBI's main priority is to be as close to Quantico as possible. Looks like Springfield is going to get it. This is a shame, since Christopher Wray is already getting his way with a smaller downtown exec HQ, which the GSA is looking for a site now with other criteria.

I hope I'm wrong but welcome other's insights into what they think the metric breakdowns would be.

Old 09-24-2022, 12:10 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Well that doesn't sound good. Quick, PG, set up a speedboat line down the Anacostia/Potomac to Quantico!

Old 09-25-2022, 09:34 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDurbanist View Post
The GSA released their Summary of Selection Criteria and Evaluation Methodology for the FBI HQ.

Fact Sheet: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/2022-0...ct%20Sheet.pdf

Site Selection Plan: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/2022-0...edacted)_0.pdf

I'm a big Greenbelt booster and think that the Greenbelt site is the best location, but reviewing the evaluation metrics, the GSA puts the most weight (35/100 points) on proximity to the FBI Academy Quantico as well as other FBI assets/DOJ.

With no traffic, Springfield is 37 minutes to the academy (will receive a Blue rating for most advantageous), Landover is 57 minutes (will receive a Green rating for second best), and Greenbelt is 1 hour 5 minutes away (Yellow for third best).

This distance to Quantico is FBI and the GSA's Criteria #1, and the GSA's fine print is that the final HQ site will have to earn a Blue rating (best) for Criteria #1 (which would disqualify Greenbelt and Landover), as well as having to be the best option for Criteria #2 (Transportation Access), Criteria #3 (Site Development Flexibility), AND Criteria #5 (Cost).

Where PG sites would make up some points is Criteria #4 (Equity), yet the top contender conveniently does not have to get the best rating in this and the sites won't be compared against one another. Greenbelt could also get a Blue rating for transportation, but so would Springfield with its close access to VRE.

TLDR: the cards are stacked against Greenbelt and Landover because the FBI's main priority is to be as close to Quantico as possible. Looks like Springfield is going to get it. This is a shame, since Christopher Wray is already getting his way with a smaller downtown exec HQ, which the GSA is looking for a site now with other criteria.

I hope I'm wrong but welcome other's insights into what they think the metric breakdowns would be.
No surprise there. NOVA is a more appealing place to live for potential employees. If the location was in Greenbelt most of the employees would probably live in Howard or Anne Arundel county.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:55 AM

211 posts, read 237,566 times
NOVA already has enough things going for them. PG needs development and access to good paying jobs.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:48 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCarea View Post
NOVA already has enough things going for them. PG needs development and access to good paying jobs.
Do you really think Virginia officials care? Or GSA?

Old 09-25-2022, 03:07 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
No surprise there. NOVA is a more appealing place to live for potential employees. If the location was in Greenbelt most of the employees would probably live in Howard or Anne Arundel county.
So not in Montgomery or Calvert Counties? NOVA is a logistical nightmare as far as traffic is a concern.

Old 09-25-2022, 03:57 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
So not in Montgomery or Calvert Counties? NOVA is a logistical nightmare as far as traffic is a concern.
Calvert does not now, nor will it ever, have the infrastructure, especially transportation. "Running light rail down the median" isn't a, or the, solution.

In addition, with the environmental reviews necessary in Calvert would take another twenty years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland