Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 02:24 PM

57 posts, read 60,558 times

Advertisements

Link:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...til-next-year/
"Delaying until 2017 also means any decision will take place when a new president in office, and that could add its own intrigue. Hillary Clinton, for instance, counts Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) as a close confidant, and her vice presidential nominee is current Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine (D)."
I know it's pointless to speculate, but it doesn't look so good for Landover and Greenbelt. I hope reason trumps politics (no pun intended); I think both MD locations have far more advantages than Springfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 02:49 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,615 times
Ridiculous... the decision was already delayed before. I hate to speculate as well, but I think someone is pushing for this to be delayed knowing that Mikulski will be out & Kaine will most likely be the VP going into 2017. It seems like it is all politics and not in the best interest of the FBI or us in the region.

Last edited by e2ksj3; 10-24-2016 at 03:08 PM..

Old 10-24-2016, 03:00 PM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
Who is surprised? When has the govt ever been efficient?

Old 10-24-2016, 03:11 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
You people act like Maryland doesn't exist. I'm sure there will be hell to pay if speculation comes true. There would be inquiries, investigations, etc. I'm not sure if there wouldn't be a conflict of interest or not, but I do suspect that a Vice President can't coerce or favor his home state as VP for such a high profile move like this.

The entire region save for a few Virginia holdouts believes Greenbelt is the optimal choice. Anything other than that would be an injustice. I liken it to the Purple Line fight. Most everyone believes the Purple Line is a worthy transportation project except for a select few. And though the funding is help up in court, I think reason will prevail and the line will move forward.

I think the same way concerning the FBI. Everyone knows Virginia has the lion's share of GSA offices outside of DC. Continuing that trend would be detrimental to regional politics and the regional economy as it will continue to favor one side of the other.

Maryland has even made it cheaper for the FBI to relocate to Greenbelt. It would be more expensive to build in VA because of existing facilities and toxic soil. It would be plain favoritism on the VP's part which would be a slap in the face to all things practical if they chose a more expensive non-optimal place just because Kaine is the VP. And honestly I don't think he will have much say if he is the VP anyway. VPs are pretty much powerless.

And not to mention the academy that just launched at the UMD that will work with the FBI on innovation and training FBI employees. It will be the FBI Academy for the 21st century.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 10-24-2016 at 03:29 PM..

Old 10-24-2016, 05:35 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
You people act like Maryland doesn't exist. I'm sure there will be hell to pay if speculation comes true. There would be inquiries, investigations, etc. I'm not sure if there wouldn't be a conflict of interest or not, but I do suspect that a Vice President can't coerce or favor his home state as VP for such a high profile move like this.

The entire region save for a few Virginia holdouts believes Greenbelt is the optimal choice. Anything other than that would be an injustice. I liken it to the Purple Line fight. Most everyone believes the Purple Line is a worthy transportation project except for a select few. And though the funding is help up in court, I think reason will prevail and the line will move forward.

I think the same way concerning the FBI. Everyone knows Virginia has the lion's share of GSA offices outside of DC. Continuing that trend would be detrimental to regional politics and the regional economy as it will continue to favor one side of the other.

Maryland has even made it cheaper for the FBI to relocate to Greenbelt. It would be more expensive to build in VA because of existing facilities and toxic soil. It would be plain favoritism on the VP's part which would be a slap in the face to all things practical if they chose a more expensive non-optimal place just because Kaine is the VP. And honestly I don't think he will have much say if he is the VP anyway. VPs are pretty much powerless.

And not to mention the academy that just launched at the UMD that will work with the FBI on innovation and training FBI employees. It will be the FBI Academy for the 21st century.

Another point would be that the Springfield location would take years to reclassify and relocate the files/information being stored there which could impact funding the build

Old 10-24-2016, 06:01 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:

There are 13 good reasons the Democrats would want to put another Fedgov worker facility in VA.

What did the fairy Meriweather keep saying about Princess Aurora's dress in Disney's Sleeping Beauty?

Old 10-25-2016, 03:25 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:

You can complain all you want but VA does make sense.What FBI Academy at Maryland sometimes the stuff you make up is amazing. There are plains but nothing yet.

Universities to sweeten the pot for FBI headquarters in Maryland with new national security academy - Baltimore Sun

Old 10-25-2016, 05:05 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lntrullin View Post
Link:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...til-next-year/
"Delaying until 2017 also means any decision will take place when a new president in office, and that could add its own intrigue. Hillary Clinton, for instance, counts Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) as a close confidant, and her vice presidential nominee is current Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine (D)."
I know it's pointless to speculate, but it doesn't look so good for Landover and Greenbelt. I hope reason trumps politics (no pun intended); I think both MD locations have far more advantages than Springfield.
Are they saying that we should vote for Trump if we want it in Greenbelt?

Old 10-25-2016, 09:00 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,615 times
Quote:

I hope you are right, it just seems odd they would announce they would be making a decision in December only to say "well let's actually now wait until after the election".

Old 10-25-2016, 09:21 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I hope you are right, it just seems odd they would announce they would be making a decision in December only to say "well let's actually now wait until after the election".
Its not too odd. Federal procurement can be tricky. Especially if there is a lot of money on the line. From an acquisition standpoint the decision has to be clear and indisputable to avoid/minimize the award being contested. If one of the non-competitive bids decide to contest (which they probably will), the contracting officer will have to be prepared to potentially defend the award in court. If negotiations are complex or the bidders are asking for more time then the award can justifiably be delayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland