Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 03:17 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leblanc1 View Post
I actually looked up "Eastern Shore" and now i understand.

A friend of mine suggested I look in Springfield VA area, being that he lives in Annandale. I'm just not sure why I'd want to spend $300/sq ft in much tighter quarters in VA versus $120/sq ft in Dunkirk, Chesapeake Beach, or Owings for much more space and what appears to be decent schools and neighborhoods.

You would also have to deal with the Woodrow Wilson Bridge everyday both ways and the beltway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 03:17 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
What type of house are you looking for? Never mind, I see you want a two car garage.

Calvert is likely your best bet in Maryland, especially with the schools. There is currently a strong housing market in the County. Anne Arundel, especially the southern end, would fit in there.

I don't know where you're coming from but Maryland is different than many states. Chesapeake Beach is an incorporated town so your property tax load would be a bit higher there than Dunkirk or Owings, which are not, although your County taxes in CB would be a bit lower. The County collects property taxes and allots them to the school system, the school boards here don't have taxing authority.

Traffic to Andrews is marginally better out of Calvert and Anne Arundel than out of Charles although both are a bit further away.

I hesitate to mention school system quality (mostly because defenders of the Prince George's system tend to mention only the few which are decent and ignore the 120 other ones, none of which your kids in Clinton would be zoned to attend) but I'll just say that I taught 32 years in Prince George's but lived and sent my kids to school in Calvert.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:00 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,103 times
Quote:
I actually looked up "Eastern Shore" and now i understand.

A friend of mine suggested I look in Springfield VA area, being that he lives in Annandale. I'm just not sure why I'd want to spend $300/sq ft in much tighter quarters in VA versus $120/sq ft in Dunkirk, Chesapeake Beach, or Owings for much more space and what appears to be decent schools and neighborhoods.
Thats crazy i would live near the base and not make it more confusing.. but if u want to drive for hours go up north. its all about commute here

Old 10-31-2016, 02:16 PM

789 posts, read 1,096,408 times
Quote:
Northern VA has Calvert beat in terms of density, amenities, cultural opportunities, public transportation... all of which tends to command a higher price in the DC region. I have no idea about schools in Northern VA other than it is incredibly cosmopolitan, which is certainly a positive thing for someone growing up in the region today.

But for your situation I'd much rather be in Calvert for half the price and more home.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:46 AM

712 posts, read 1,093,044 times
Quote:
I hear that Waldorf is a place to avoid..mostly due to traffic congestion and poor schools. Charles county is even further south than Waldorf...so my fear is that it's essentially "cut off" by Waldorf and not a viable option.

Many have recommended Calvert county and Chesapeake Beach and Dunkirk look like pretty good areas.

I also heard that Bowie seems to be on the down slope when it comes to crime and schools. Of course...I'm only going off things I read....I certainly don't know any ground truth.
While I think Calvert county is your best option due to distance, I wanted to just come in and defend Bowie. I've been living in Bowie for about 5 years now and it's definitely not on the down slope in terms of crime and schools. The older, safer, more established neighborhoods are in the Levitt sections in the north part of Bowie and this is where you'll find the better rated elementary schools according to Greatschools scores, with a few being Blue Ribbon schools, including the county's first Blue Ribbon private school, St. Pius. Most of the homes in north Bowie are definitely in your price range. In addition, we have many great walking/biking/horseriding/water trails and parks for recreational fun. While I think the restaurants and shopping could be better, Crofton and Annapolis are a short drive away.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:12 PM

8 posts, read 13,642 times
Thank you all very kindly for the inputs. I do believe I will be focusing my efforts on Calvert county.

To Papichulo, living near just about any base is typically a no-go. And I hear it's no different for Andrews in that it's pretty "ghetto" very close to the base. It seems that commuting is the name of the game anyway and I'd rather live someplace I enjoy over the alternative.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:30 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Thank you all very kindly for the inputs. I do believe I will be focusing my efforts on Calvert county.

To Papichulo, living near just about any base is typically a no-go. And I hear it's no different for Andrews in that it's pretty "ghetto" very close to the base. It seems that commuting is the name of the game anyway and I'd rather live someplace I enjoy over the alternative.

I don't know who it is you are hearing things from but they aren't very good in their wisdom. On the areas around Andrews Upper Marlboro(very nice) ,Brandywine(also very nice) and Clinton(very nice) are all nice Forestville is an area I would tell you to avoid.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:08 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
While I think Calvert county is your best option due to distance, I wanted to just come in and defend Bowie. I've been living in Bowie for about 5 years now and it's definitely not on the down slope in terms of crime and schools. The older, safer, more established neighborhoods are in the Levitt sections in the north part of Bowie and this is where you'll find the better rated elementary schools according to Greatschools scores, with a few being Blue Ribbon schools, including the county's first Blue Ribbon private school, St. Pius. Most of the homes in north Bowie are definitely in your price range. In addition, we have many great walking/biking/horseriding/water trails and parks for recreational fun. While I think the restaurants and shopping could be better, Crofton and Annapolis are a short drive away.
Great post; I really think Bowie is underrated. I love it for all the reasons you've mentioned.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:54 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,103 times
Quote:

Im glad you found a place. Like the other poster said the areas mention are not that bad. You said u want to live near the base, so Clinton, brandywine and camp springs are more diverse and not as ghetto. but as usual people always make assumptions. Yah suitland, oxon hill and forestville are but you won’t be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland