Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: PG county suburbs most likely to have an increase in white population
Fort Washington 12 32.43%
Laurel 3 8.11%
Bowie 8 21.62%
Greenbelt/Lanham 12 32.43%
Clinton 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 03:11 PM

662 posts, read 783,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
This is why I picked Greenbelt, especially the mass transit aspect. Bowie already has a large white population, mostly in the north section. And other than the schools, I don't see anything really attracting a large number of whites to Bowie in the near future unless they're looking for a quiet community with a nice plot of land. Most whites will continue to buy in PG County inside the beltway with Greenbelt being the spillover point to outside the beltway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I picked Greenbelt because of NASA, good schools, and being relatively close to mass transit (Greenbelt Metro/MARC).

Exactly why I picked Greenbelt. And old town Greenbelt has a reputation already of being 'safe' for white people and being "crunchy." White ppl are ok with some "crunch." It's this same reputation that signals to white people that they can move to Mt.rainier, College Park, University Park and Hyattsville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 03:20 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
Exactly why I picked Greenbelt. And old town Greenbelt has a reputation already of being 'safe' for white people and being "crunchy." White ppl are ok with some "crunch." It's this same reputation that signals to white people that they can move to Mt.rainier, College Park, University Park and Hyattsville
Crunchy is actually really sought out by white people, thus Vermont and Portland, OR. If you look at posts here you will notice that is a trend for recommendations. This is what made Takoma/Takoma Park so popular.

Again it is a safe area with some attractive community amenities, and a rather cohesive positive identity.

NASA definitely helps too.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:45 AM

125 posts, read 154,058 times
I would imagine the national harbor has been bringing in so many yuppies to that area that it will only expand out to fort washington. Fort washington is strategically placed close to Alexandria, which is an extremely white area. And with houses in Alexandria for 600-800k , it only makes sense to move across the river if you want a fairly nice home.

In the next 10 years i would imagine metro will add a stop at the national harbor, if that happens it will be a boom to that area.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:13 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch666 View Post
Fort washington is strategically placed close to Alexandria, which is an extremely white area.
Wait....what? lol

Old 04-28-2017, 07:57 AM

662 posts, read 783,513 times
Quote:
I would imagine the national harbor has been bringing in so many yuppies to that area that it will only expand out to fort washington. Fort washington is strategically placed close to Alexandria, which is an extremely white area. And with houses in Alexandria for 600-800k , it only makes sense to move across the river if you want a fairly nice home.

In the next 10 years i would imagine metro will add a stop at the national harbor, if that happens it will be a boom to that area.
Metro can barely contain fires and ridership has declined rapidly. No way they're adding another stop in 10 years.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:02 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Lumping Fort Washington with National Harbor is a stretch.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:06 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:

LOL, do you own a map of maryland?

Old 04-28-2017, 08:41 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I realize that nonresidents of the County have been forbidden to participate in this thread (I'll claim privileges due to working for the County for over 30 years) but I'm assuming y'all know what the fastest growing demographic in Prince George's is. Hint: it ain't Whites or Blacks.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:00 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I realize that nonresidents of the County have been forbidden to participate in this thread (I'll claim privileges due to working for the County for over 30 years) but I'm assuming y'all know what the fastest growing demographic in Prince George's is. Hint: it ain't Whites or Blacks.
Yes. But that's not the title of the thread. Even if there was just 1 white family to come to the county, the question is where would they most likely go from the list provided.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:55 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Yes. But that's not the title of the thread. Even if there was just 1 white family to come to the county, the question is where would they most likely go from the list provided.
No, the question is about an increase .I also worked in PG county for almost 32years so ....yeah I know it well.Yes "whites are moving into those place's mention by the OP but the question was which of the named Towns/cities would see and increase and I said none .The OP was trying lead or insinuate that these places named would see large growth of whites in PG county and that is not happening as NBP has suggested.You say Greenbelt becuase you are pretty damn sure the FBI is going there ,I on the other hand am not sure ,not with Trump.I can name four friends of the Mrs and mine that moved from Ft Washington becuase of Indian Head Hwy(210) they just can't take it any more...and since it seems people are keeping count it was 1 white couple and 3 African American couples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland