Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 12,445 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from NC to the Bethesda area this summer and looking for a lively and young professional area to live. I will be working at the Naval Medical Center and want to limit my commute as best I can and be close to the metro. I would be prefer a home rental, but not against town homes or apartments (Not really interested in the high rises) 2 bedrooms+ and have a price range of about $1500-$2500 for rent.

I am a late 20's single male. I have lived in Boston, as well as other places across the country and understand high rents and what you get for it. After living in NC for the past few years I am ready for some night life again, close to home. Anyone have some suggestions?

Last edited by Gaidin43; 03-07-2008 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: adding more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 03:18 PM

703 posts, read 2,932,875 times
I guess downtown Bethesda is out of the question, since it's mainly high rise apartment. Although if you reconsider then, you'll probably have a 5 min Metro commute or even just bike to work since it's probably within 2-3 miles and living in the lively area.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:27 PM

Default High rises?

How are they to live in? Most everything I have lived in has been small apartments or houses. I kind of like the idea of having a garage and driveway to work in on my truck or whatever little project I have. I know they offer work out facilities which would save me a gym membership else where, but what are the other benefits of living in a high rise in the area?

Old 03-10-2008, 04:48 PM

74 posts, read 420,410 times
There are older apartment buildings in Bethesda (I'm thinking right now of some along Battery Lane) that are only two or three stories and have parking right out in front. Those may be more what you're looking for. You'd be on the outer edge of downtown Bethesda, but you'd be right on the southern edge of NIH's property (and therefore, within walking distance to the Naval Medical Center).

Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the info I will start looking there a little more heavily.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:43 AM

847 posts, read 3,342,287 times
There are plenty little houses to rent or buy right in downtown Bethesda. I'm looking there right now. Look east of Wisconsin and south of the Naval Medical Center. There's a neighborhood just south of the Medical Center, and it keeps going even after you cross East-West Hwy. Prices are all over the map. I'm looking to buy, and I can tell that a lot of the houses have been used as rental properties for years. I'm pretty sure you can find something to rent there.

There's a tonier neighborhood right in that area but on the other side of Wisconsin. Out of my price range, and not as close a walk to the shopping, so I haven't checked it out as much, but it's just a few blocks over, so you might look there too.

If you look at Google Maps, it'll tell you the neighborhood names at the right zoom level, and that helps with looking at listings/Craigslist online.

There are single family houses all over these neighborhoods in downtown Bethesda. I don't know how much they rent for, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't bother looking.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 PM

629 posts, read 942,225 times
There are single family houses (including some rentals) in the neighborhoods south of Montgomery Mall (off Fernwood/Greentree) as well. The one I visited was old and had some issues (2 foot step into the backyard for example) so you could probably stay within budget too if you don't mind that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland