Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 AM

10 posts, read 10,799 times

Advertisements

What are the safe areas in DC suburbs (Maryland or VA) to buy 1-bedroom for 300K
- apartment or condo
- townhouse
- twin
etc

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 12:09 PM

103 posts, read 183,686 times
DC burbs cover a lot of ground. Can you give a more specific area, radius, commuting location and max distance? This could cover an area out to Leesburg, VA, Frederick, MD, Calvert County, etc.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:13 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ale_na View Post
What are the safe areas in DC suburbs (Maryland or VA) to buy 1-bedroom for 300K
With a $300,000 budget you have some choices (even in the DC Metro area).

Start by RENTING something adequate that is near the job.
Then poke around for opportunities. And some friends.
Don't buy (anywhere) if you haven't lived there for a year.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDaaCo View Post
DC burbs cover a lot of ground. Can you give a more specific area, radius, commuting location and max distance? This could cover an area out to Leesburg, VA, Frederick, MD, Calvert County, etc.
I need something that is close to public transportation and safe area

Old 05-18-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I need something that is close to public transportation and safe area
Assuming that ONE END of the public transportation need is the job... where will that job be?

Wherever that might be is where to start looking for a RENTAL.
Perhaps even a share with someone who also works there
and with the assistance of whoever it is that you'll be relocating to work for.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:54 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
$300K for a 1br will get you into most metro-accessible neighborhoods in the suburbs. The usefulness of being along a metro line goes down dramatically if your job isn't along the same line, though. You need to have a job in mind before bothering to figure out where to live.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Assuming that ONE END of the public transportation need is the job... where will that job be?

Wherever that might be is where to start looking for a RENTAL.
Perhaps even a share with someone who also works there
and with the assistance of whoever it is that you'll be relocating to work for.
I work from home (telecommute)
I live in Philadelphia and trying to decide if i should move to DC
I want to buy my own house in nice suburbs but still be able to go to the city to have fun&shopping
I rent in Philadelphia now and got sick of renting. However can't decide if I should buy house here because DC seem like a better area to live

Last edited by ale_na; 05-18-2017 at 09:43 PM..

Old 05-19-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
I rent in Philadelphia now and got sick of renting.
How long have you been renting?
Where do your friends live?
Have you looked for something near them?

Quote:
However can't decide if I should buy house here because DC seem like a better area to live
It might be but you need really specific reasons to choose it... renting or buying.
Either way ...don't buy ANYWHERE without living there a while and making some friends first.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:15 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
Quote:
I want to buy my own house in nice suburbs but still be able to go to the city to have fun&shopping
I rent in Philadelphia now and got sick of renting. However can't decide if I should buy house here because DC seem like a better area to live
Come over here! And areas like Hyattsville college park Wheaton and silver spring are all metro access with shopping at your doorstep.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:46 AM

219 posts, read 594,821 times
Quote:
I don't know much about Philly, but from what I've heard, DC is a much better area to live in.

Not sure what your preferences are in terms of older/newer 1br condo, but there are many options under $300K in MD suburbs such as Bethesda, Silver Spring, and Rockville which are relatively safe close in suburbs to DC with access to the red line Metro train system. Check out Redfin and put in your filters to look for a place. There are also many options in Virginia (Arlington, Pentagon City, Alexandria). Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland