Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Crabs vs Mumbo Sauce
Crabs 20 80.00%
Mumbo Sauce 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 02:07 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,132,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I grew up in PG county and always seen crab trucks on the side of the street, Im used to steaming live crabs and cooked. Spent time in Baltimore for over 5 years and the crab culture wasn’t any more than what im used to, maybe because im on the edge of Anne Arundel where I get my crabs from too. My good girl friend from NEbaltimore never even heard of Camerons until she came to the DC area. I think PG county though has a bigger crab culture than DC though.
PG definitely has more crab places but not more crab culture than DC. PG has no answer for the wharf. People act like once you cross Eastern or Southern avenues, people stop eating crabs. One of the best crab houses in Maryland is in Bethesda of all places. Bethesda Crabhouse. Biggest crabs in the DMV and they aren't even MD crabs. They are flown in daily from the Gulf of Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 06:03 PM

10,092 posts, read 9,901,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
People in DC and PG eat crabs every weekend in the summer. There are crab houses all over the DMV. My gut feeling Baltimore is more known for crab cakes than actual crabs.
Eating steamed crabs is a way of life in Baltimore

"The crabs are eaten on tables spread with old newspaper or plain brown wrapping paper. The meat of the crabs is extracted with the use of wooden mallets, knives, and one's hands. It is popular for cold beer to be thrown on the crabs during the steaming process, and made available afterwards.[5]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultur...ore#Blue_crabs

It's a ritual.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:05 AM

421 posts, read 286,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
PG definitely has more crab places but not more crab culture than DC. PG has no answer for the wharf. People act like once you cross Eastern or Southern avenues, people stop eating crabs. One of the best crab houses in Maryland is in Bethesda of all places. Bethesda Crabhouse. Biggest crabs in the DMV and they aren't even MD crabs. They are flown in daily from the Gulf of Mexico.

Then they aren't MD Blue Crabs Are they?Must say been in Maryland 38 years and never heard of the Bethesda Crab House.Capt john's ,Capt Billy's,Thompson's,Capt Mo's and there is Stoney's ,Rod and Reel,Fisherman's Inn,Harris Crab House , Riverside Inn,Tyler's tackle shop and Crab house.... this are just to names a few and I know I missed a few dozen more and all of these serve Chesapeake (maryland)) BLUE CRAB.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:32 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,132,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
Then they aren't MD Blue Crabs Are they?Must say been in Maryland 38 years and never heard of the Bethesda Crab House.Capt john's ,Capt Billy's,Thompson's,Capt Mo's and there is Stoney's ,Rod and Reel,Fisherman's Inn,Harris Crab House , Riverside Inn,Tyler's tackle shop and Crab house.... this are just to names a few and I know I missed a few dozen more and all of these serve Chesapeake (maryland)) BLUE CRAB.
Bethesda Crab House has been around since the 60's. It puts Captain Billy's to shame.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:11 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,392,554 times
Quote:
Not for this Baltimorean anymore! Crabs are seasoned coachroaches for all I care and I don't care how much a way of life it is in Baltimore. Eating dirty seafood from dirty waters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post

"The crabs are eaten on tables spread with old newspaper or plain brown wrapping paper. The meat of the crabs is extracted with the use of wooden mallets, knives, and one's hands. It is popular for cold beer to be thrown on the crabs during the steaming process, and made available afterwards.[5]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultur...ore#Blue_crabs

It's a ritual.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:57 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,811,513 times
What in the heck is this mumbo sauce????? Grew up in PG county right outside the beltway and never heard of it. But crabs? No way are crabs "more a Baltimore thing" I grew up going to the DC waterfront getting crabs. Our family, all in PG county at the time, went crabbing a bunch in assorted areas. went to crab houses. I learned to cook em, pick em and have them any way associated with MD, Steamed; Crabcakes; Soft shelled, lightly breaded, pan fried on white bread; etc... And my dad, uncles and ant are all from DC where they learned all that!

Yep, Crabs are associated with MD and next in line comes DE, DC and VA's eastern shore. Guess we're just a crabby place.

BTW, I got the hell out of PG county in 86 and never returned. Went on to AA county and then the eastern shore here in OC and wherever I have lived, crabs are plenty available!

Old 06-12-2017, 04:07 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,811,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
Because of the popularity of crabs, many places are getting them from LA and NC as well, especially during slow years in the bay. It also lengthens the crab eating season. Right by me there is this place that sells MD crabs, but is open all winter and gets them from LA in those month's so we can get crabs all year!

MD crabs? We steam em, alive with lots of JO, Old Bay or other local concotions. We use beer. We make a mess by making an afternoon or evening (or both) out of it. Many other places boil them and/or shell, quarter and clean them before cooking. No spices! In MD we basically eat some of the poo along with the rest. You really think that's mustard? That is what I call MD crabs!

Old 06-12-2017, 04:14 PM

15,128 posts, read 27,669,144 times
I don't understand this "poll" either crabs or a condiment? - that's like asking "hamburger or ketchup"

Old 06-14-2017, 02:41 PM

58,749 posts, read 27,080,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't really think the DC suburbs (Montgomery, Prince George's, Howard) are associated with crabs. You get to Calvert, Charles and Anne Arundel then yes.

I'm assuming you mean blue crabs and not the personal kind. If the second my response would be different.
Mumbo Sauce? Never heard of it

"I don't really think the DC suburbs (Montgomery, Prince George's, Howard) are associated with crabs.'

YOU WOULD BE WRONG.

And I was born in D.C. and then moved to PG county through most of high school.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:50 PM

58,749 posts, read 27,080,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
By mentioning Howard, and Anne Arundel counties, you include Baltimore by default, as they are Baltimore suburbs, and shares Baltimore's culture.
"By mentioning Howard, and Anne Arundel counties, you include Baltimore by default, as they are Baltimore suburbs"

I would say Howard CO. is as much affiliated to D.C. as to Balt.

A.A county is long and narrow.

The northern part is Balt. and the lower is D.C.

The middle of the county goes both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland