Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:52 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmvjay View Post
I understand where you are coming from. And hopefully, PG and the Peterson Co, will nip this in the bud. Large groups of motorcycles, contributed to the Blvd declining. Not entirely, but some yes. Im not saying NH, is in ANY way, in danger of becoming the Blvd. Im simply saying, you cant dismiss, what these type of things, can do to folks. As other posters have said above, NH is kind of a respite from folks, who dont want true big city "stuff".
Yes you can, in this instance.

Dismissed.

Nothing to see here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 02:04 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
If it happens there again, it most certainly is a "National Harbor problem".

You guys minimize these sorts of quality of life problems and either offer no solutions or just say , " Well, it's something you have to deal with in this area" and then wonder why Prince George's has a negative reputation.

Like the time the teacher got shot checking a restroom at Largo high school and the official response of the school system was, although he was doing his job, that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:17 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,698 times
It will be nipped in the bud sooner than later. What people forget or don't know is that NH has A LOT of cameras. Some in the open and some hidden. They also have a fully equipped satellite station so I am sure that they will be knocking on some doors shortly. NH is a big money maker for the county and the state and I don't see either letting a bunch of idiots mess with their money.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:33 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If it happens there again, it most certainly is a "National Harbor problem".

You guys minimize these sorts of quality of life problems and either offer no solutions or just say , " Well, it's something you have to deal with in this area" and then wonder why Prince George's has a negative reputation.

Like the time the teacher got shot checking a restroom at Largo high school and the official response of the school system was, although he was doing his job, that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I have to disagree with you here. Nobody is minimizing the problem at all. All I'm saying is that this problem is bigger than any one location. ALso, there doesn't appear to be one hangout spot as these individuals are mobile and their purpose is to ride, not park and hangout at one spot (THey risk being caught if they stop and hangout). Also, they are smart enough not to frequent one area too often as the authorities would obviously be waiting for them the next time they ride through if there was a popluar street they ride through.

THis has nothing to do with PG County specifically but everything to do with the activity that frankly a lot of cities on the east coast are dealing with. Not just DC.

ALso, I think most of us here fully support any crackdown that will take these individuals off the street. No one is looking the other way or minimizing this issue at all. ANd the onus isn't just on PGC, it is squarely on DC and other jurisdicitions as well to step up and help get these bikers off the street.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:59 PM

84 posts, read 135,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
It will be nipped in the bud sooner than later. What people forget or don't know is that NH has A LOT of cameras. Some in the open and some hidden. They also have a fully equipped satellite station so I am sure that they will be knocking on some doors shortly. NH is a big money maker for the county and the state and I don't see either letting a bunch of idiots mess with their money.
I actually was there a few hours and the definitely have taken visible steps to make people aware they are watching. Specifically they had mobile signage placed at entrance stating they are watching for ATV usage on streets.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:34 AM

341 posts, read 423,996 times
Here's the story on my feed this morning:

ATVs Weave Through Traffic, Occupy Sidewalk at National Harbor | NBC4 Washington

Yes they make reference to other spots they were seen but people don't care about that. It's a story specificially because it is NH. It appears that PGPD at least understands what is at stake.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghead View Post
Here's the story on my feed this morning:

ATVs Weave Through Traffic, Occupy Sidewalk at National Harbor | NBC4 Washington

Yes they make reference to other spots they were seen but people don't care about that. It's a story specificially because it is NH. It appears that PGPD at least understands what is at stake.
YOu just received the article late. That was from Monday when the story broke.

As far as people caring about NH specifically as opposed to other areas that are plagued with this activity, I don't see that. It seems like people who want NH to fail are displaying fake concern about the viability of NH from this one incident.

I'm reading articles and none of them seemed concerned about NH losing visitors or business. I'm just not as concerned as people think I should be. Again, if it was happeneing every week, every day, every month, then yes. I'd be just as concrned as anyone. But since this is a DC area problem and not specifically a NH problem. ANy concerns should be area wide. Which I think they are. I just don't see people other than those here, ascribing responsibility and concern specifically toward NH for this issue.

IT's not like NH is The BLVD on life support or Woodmore. It is a vibrant safe place to enjoy for millions per year. Bikers riding through one day shouldn't cause people to worry. NYC has experienced it. Philly has experienced it. It's a known issue that needs to be delt with. But I don't think that will deter anyone from visiting. Watching bikers pop wheelies one a year while you try to eat dinner is just not a high risk for people who want to get out on the weekends.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 06-29-2017 at 09:29 AM..

Old 06-29-2017, 10:11 AM

341 posts, read 423,996 times
So you keep saying. The concern is because we actually want NH to succeed, and succeed wildly. We want a *better* track record than the DC area, and it is achievable.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghead View Post
So you keep saying. The concern is because we actually want NH to succeed, and succeed wildly. We want a *better* track record than the DC area, and it is achievable.
I agree. ANy negative attention whether controllable or not is unfortunate for any nice project like NH. But I think in this case, NH is really the victim of a wider issue though and not necessarily the harborer of this negative activity. ANd that is the big difference.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:13 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
why not ride at the NH? Rt 210 has these types of activities all the time, and it's only a mile away. Why would anyone expect any difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland