Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 01:48 PM

82 posts, read 567,466 times

Advertisements

Todays examiner article has sparked my interest.

http://dcpaper.examiner.com/real_estate/?haspdf=1 (broken link)

So what's the deal with Kensington? Is it a place with older type homes in a park like setting (Rock Creek Park, that is) with a little downtown? I hear the downtown is focused on antiques. Is there other retail, cafes, restaurants, etc? I'm looking for walkable places to live with a decent commute to DC (train or metro preferable). I understand there is a MARC stop Kensington. Are the schools good in Kensington. Todays examiner article has sparked my interest. I wish there was a place like Frederick, MD that was closer. I understand the MARC train to Union Station is about 1.5 hrs each way, that’s to bad because downtown Frederick liked pretty neat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 04:18 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
How on earth can it take 1.5 hours on the MARC train? Kensington isn't that far from DC.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:52 PM

82 posts, read 567,466 times
1.5 hrs refers to Frederick not Kensington.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:40 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,445 times
My neighbor grew up in Kensington. Her parents have lived in the same house for over 30 years. She was telling me that she basically grew up in a working class neighborhood and they were just like any other young families struggling to pay the bills. Now, that neighborhood is the place to be. She finds it amazing that the house her parents bought in the 60's for $40,000 is now worth over $500,000. She sometimes feels out of place when she goes to visit because the neighborhood has really changed from when she was a kid.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 16,640 times
Kensington, MD is has many antiques. It is a very cute town and very walkable. I also recommend Garrett Park, MD just about a mile west of Kensington. Garrett Park has the train in the neighborhood as well. It has a restuarant in the town which has AMAZING food. But it doesn't have the shops near by. It has many parks, tennis courts, and even a pool! I would recommend Garrett Park as a more family type place. The house there are old and some look like castles which makes them in the 700,000 - 1 million dollar range. Kensington, has many restuarants. A new Safeway was just put up in February which is very nice. I would recommend Kensington for you! You'll love it.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:43 AM

198 posts, read 926,000 times
I live in Kensington, and it is a walkable community-- depending on where you live of course. It's nothing like downtown Frederick though. There is a grocery store, hardware store, plant nursery, coffee shop, a few mediocre restaurants and some other small retail antique and boutique shops. There is also a bunch of auto repair/bodyshop kinds of places that really are eyesores. There has been much discussion of improving the look of downtown Kensington, but a large amount of the junky looking retail space is owned by an out-of-town land lord who isn't really interested in putting money into improvements, or selling!

Kensington is divided between Walter Johnson, Bethesda-Chevy Chase, and Albert Einstein school clusters. Walter Johnson and Bethesda-Chevy Chase are among the best school clusters in Montgomery County.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:23 PM

46 posts, read 154,362 times
I have been checking out Rock Palisades (Townhouses for rent) in North Kensington. It seems very luxurious and affordable and not so far from Gallaudet University (NE D.C.) where I will be working at.

Does anybody know about that townhouse complex and North Kensington? I heard North Kensington isn't safe as Kensington because it's near Wheaton/Glenmont and Adelphi.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:02 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry8107 View Post
I have been checking out Rock Palisades (Townhouses for rent) in North Kensington. It seems very luxurious and affordable and not so far from Gallaudet University (NE D.C.) where I will be working at.

Does anybody know about that townhouse complex and North Kensington? I heard North Kensington isn't safe as Kensington because it's near Wheaton/Glenmont and Adelphi.

Just to clarify, North Kensington is nowhere near Adelphi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland