Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2006, 01:41 PM

51 posts, read 385,279 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to MD, as I want to go to school in University of Maryland, college park. My husband works in DC and we have 2 young kids, so safety and schools are top priority. We want to live close to College Park, and we are considering both Montgomery and Howard counties. We are considering Havover, Laurel, Rockville, Columbia, Elkridge and Ellicott city for now. We are also looking to buy a home between 500-525K. Any suggestions from you guys is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Anu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 03:21 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Anu. Commuting is as bad in MD as in VA, I know, I lived in Fairfax for 30 years.

Try for Howard County and find a town near a MARC line. The train has a stop in College Park, a very civilized way to travel. HowCO has great schools, as does Montgomery Co. HowCo may be more affordable...Columbia, parts of Elkridge, Ellicott City. Not sure how good Baltimore County schools are, if you check them out and find they are okay, look at Arbutus, Halethorpe or Relay, MD (zip code 21227) as they are near MARC stops and even more affordable. I lived in and went to school in Relay in the 1960 era, still a sleepy little wooded area and walking distance to MARC's St Denis station......not sure where you are in VA but if you're in NoVa, it's worth the drive to check out a few places up there and my suggestion is to work with a realtor, I'm not one, but they don't cost you a thing and they help you a lot....

Use the Search this Forum tool with keywords of Howard schools MARC and the names of various towns to find the wealth of info already here, as people don't like to keep keying responses to the same old set of questions about schools and commuting.

s/Mike

Old 12-08-2006, 03:26 PM

51 posts, read 385,279 times
Thanks a bunch Mike. Will definitely need a train station as hubby plans to use public transportation. I will look up the keywords you suggested.

Anu.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:34 PM

297 posts, read 1,273,616 times
I used to live in Ellicott City and would definitely recommend it. The schools are great, it's close to everything without the crime frequently associated with access. I also used to work in DC and would take the MARC train from the Dorsey Station (on Rt. 100) as it was about 5 minutes from my house. Would definitely recommend Ellicott City. Columbia has some nice parts, but it's also higher crime in some areas.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:23 PM

4 posts, read 11,107 times
I am emigrating from abroad to work as a nurse at the University of Maryland medical centre. We have 2 kids aged 4 and 2. We would like ur help in relocating to an area with good schools either in Columbia or Elkridge. What is the distance between them and to the hospital. Would kindly appreciate your replies. We are also looking to rent first then buy later any good areas to rent for a 2/3 bed apartment or house for less than $1400 a month in either areas.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:09 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
You can't go wrong with any part of Columbia. Its all nice just depends on your fancy. Go to Columbia Rd and you'll see some beautiful Apartment complexes lined across from golf course, park, and next to all the major arteries that will get you on the freeway very quickly....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland