Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 05:35 AM

125 posts, read 153,987 times

Advertisements

Anyone see a trend of house prices climbing so high that there are not any affordable starter homes around D.C. for less than 250k. Just last year you could find houses for less than 200k in the area in some rougher parts with some work to do. Now the only places i've seen with sub 200k houses are capitol heights with houses that require so much work that it's not worth it. Apparently it's worth it because even those houses are being bought.

Are we heading into another real estate bubble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 09:35 AM

789 posts, read 1,095,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch666 View Post
Anyone see a trend of house prices climbing so high that there are not any affordable starter homes around D.C. for less than 250k. Just last year you could find houses for less than 200k in the area in some rougher parts with some work to do. Now the only places i've seen with sub 200k houses are capitol heights with houses that require so much work that it's not worth it. Apparently it's worth it because even those houses are being bought.

What are you talking about? You can get a SFH that needs some work for 150k in Seabrook, which is a pretty solid neighborhood and not 45 miles away.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:00 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:

Is that listing price or actual closing price?

I ask because we have several houses for sale here that are way overpriced. Some have been sitting for a couple years. The owners (with, quite honestly the listing agents' connivance) know what they'll take and not a penny less.

It doesn't help that many of the sellers bought at the top of the market several years ago and the property hasn't increased in value to that original inflated price (as in: paid $550K, current value $325K. The best one, or rather two are the one, a condo, which went for $950K and is valued today at $485K and the one where the people paid $1.2M for the lot and built a $700K house. Current value is $600K).

Old 03-21-2018, 10:06 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
...so high that there are not any affordable starter homes...
First... define what affordable is supposed to mean.
You know, like how much of anyone's net earnings should be allocated for housing costs. Max.
Oh, and don't assume anyone can really afford what they've signed up to pay.

Quote:
We've been in one for some time.

Quote:
Apparently it's worth it because even those houses are being bought.
How far are they from a Metro stop?

Old 03-21-2018, 04:50 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

I ask because we have several houses for sale here that are way overpriced. Some have been sitting for a couple years. The owners (with, quite honestly the listing agents' connivance) know what they'll take and not a penny less.

It doesn't help that many of the sellers bought at the top of the market several years ago and the property hasn't increased in value to that original inflated price (as in: paid $550K, current value $325K. The best one, or rather two are the one, a condo, which went for $950K and is valued today at $485K and the one where the people paid $1.2M for the lot and built a $700K house. Current value is $600K).
Fantastic question. I was looking at foreclosures during my current home search and was seeing if foreclosures and short sells are priced differently here (Worcester) versus Baltimore and Washington, since several people from the area mentioned it. I was comparing the actual cost savings short and long term vs. addition time it will take to go through the process. So yes, that would be closing prices I was specifically looking for. And I was looking for habitable homes, no crack houses or anything.

But man what you mentioned is exactly what I've observed looking through price histories, especially on condos and townhomes in West Ocean City.

I didn't mean to deny a housing bubble, but there are still opportunities if you look and are flexible.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

The prices around here are listing prices. If a house has a listing price of 200k then you can assume it will sell higher. I made an offer on a house and the agent told me that there were 29 offers for the house, all over the asking price.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
First... define what affordable is supposed to mean.
You know, like how much of anyone's net earnings should be allocated for housing costs. Max.
Oh, and don't assume anyone can really afford what they've signed up to pay.

We've been in one for some time.

How far are they from a Metro stop?

When I talk about affordable I meant houses under 250k like I mentioned in the original post. I know it's relative to what people make. The houses in Capitol heights are very close to capitol heights metro. Walkable, i've heard this will be another area of interest for investors in the future.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
What are you talking about? You can get a SFH that needs some work for 150k in Seabrook, which is a pretty solid neighborhood and not 45 miles away.

I just did a search and couldn't find any SFH for less than 150k. Can you post them up?

Thanks

Old 03-21-2018, 07:14 PM

170 posts, read 233,901 times
Quote:
When I talk about affordable I meant houses under 250k like I mentioned in the original post. I know it's relative to what people make. The houses in Capitol heights are very close to capitol heights metro. Walkable, i've heard this will be another area of interest for investors in the future.
This is already happening. Plenty of home renovations occurring around the Addison & Capitol Heights metro stations. However, due to supply I think the prices are accurate similar to the bubble in San Francisco. If the DMV area lands Amazon HQ2 expect housing prices to soar further.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:15 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,326 times
Quote:
There are a few houses in my area of College Park for under $250k but they are fixer uppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland