Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 04:58 PM

92 posts, read 428,973 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Upper Marlboro, but spent the last 7 years in Nashville TN for grad school. I will likely be taking a job at NIH in Bethesda soon (just got the offer, but have one more interview to go on, but will probably take the job). My Fiancee however, works in Glen Burnie, so we would need to find someplace where we can split the commutes. I don't mind having the longer commute (45-60m), if I can take the Metro for the bulk of it.

Anyway, in looking at places that would be close to a metro station, but a reasonable drive to Glen Burnie, it looks like the Greenbelt/Beltsville area might work. My question is, what is the area like today? I remember Greenbelt being nice and safe in some places but not others, and I honestly have never spent any time in Beltsville growing up. I know alot can change in 7 years too. How is cost of living relative to somewhere like Bowie (another place I'm thinking about)? Generally how safe are the neighborhoods today? Our basic criteria is my Fiancee needs to feel safe walking her dog by herself at night or early morning. We would probably be living here for a year or 2 at least.

Any advice or info would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 PM

175 posts, read 651,737 times
Greensbelt and beltsville are pretty nice areas, not really a place to raise kids, (anybody heard of the gang fights in high point high). The areas are nice overall, but wait, are you saying your communting to bethesda from that area? Or is it your friend? I'm a little confused..

Anyway, nice for being in pg, definitly greenbelt. Sorry, cant say anything bad about greenbelt.

Good luck

Old 04-04-2011, 05:54 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Greenbelt is good. I will tell you to stay away from the area near the Metro station however. The apartments Empirian Village is right next to the metro station and is notoriously bad. Other than that there really isn't a whole lot bad I can say.

As for Beltsville, the worst parts are along Route 1. Those areas are no-nos. I would recommend staying closer to either in Calverton or Vansville as those parts of Beltsville are much nicer and safer. The unfortunate thing about Beltsville and those particular areas is that they are much further away from the Metro.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 PM

92 posts, read 428,973 times
Thanks for the info. I'd be the one commuting to Bethesda (1hr w/ traffic, about the same by metro) and NIH has a program that can help cover Metro costs, my Fiancee would be commuting to Glen Burnie (30-45 drive). No children to raise at the moment, and we would probably get out of PG when that happens, for a better school system. For now we're just looking for a safe area that's convenient to metro.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:09 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
As for Beltsville, the worst parts are along Route 1. Those areas are no-nos. I would recommend staying closer to either in Calverton or Vansville as those parts of Beltsville are much nicer and safer. The unfortunate thing about Beltsville and those particular areas is that they are much further away from the Metro.
When you say avoid Rt 1, you mean precisely where? There isn't much housing right by Rt 1. I think you mean up north of Powder Mill, beyond the stores up there, right? Based on my days living in Beltsville, I'd say the area around Powder Mill Rd, west of Rhode Island ave and Calverton are good. Vansville I can't say much about. I can definitely recommend avoiding Powder Mill Village, AKA Bugville (at least to me). My apartment there (almost 6 years) was overrun with roaches and they did very little to help get rid of them.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
When you say avoid Rt 1, you mean precisely where? There isn't much housing right by Rt 1. I think you mean up north of Powder Mill, beyond the stores up there, right? Based on my days living in Beltsville, I'd say the area around Powder Mill Rd, west of Rhode Island ave and Calverton are good. Vansville I can't say much about. I can definitely recommend avoiding Powder Mill Village, AKA Bugville (at least to me). My apartment there (almost 6 years) was overrun with roaches and they did very little to help get rid of them.
Yeah I'm talking north of the shops. There are a few homes off of Route 1 in Beltsville in that area. Not many, but everytime I read the crime report when the Washington Post used to have it, the crime was concentrated near Route 1 for whatever reason.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:50 PM

175 posts, read 651,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Yeah I'm talking north of the shops. There are a few homes off of Route 1 in Beltsville in that area. Not many, but everytime I read the crime report when the Washington Post used to have it, the crime was concentrated near Route 1 for whatever reason.
Really? I thought rt 1 was pretty safe in the college park area, (esp by ikea). I never heard any stories of anything down there. Now powder mill, thats a different story... I usually dont go down rt 1 since its just congestion....

Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayayards View Post
Really? I thought rt 1 was pretty safe in the college park area, (esp by ikea). I never heard any stories of anything down there. Now powder mill, thats a different story... I usually dont go down rt 1 since its just congestion....
If you go down a little further it's not good. Don't really understand it, but that is one of the factors that turned me off to wanting to move to Beltsville.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,847 times
Definitely Beltsville over Greenbelt, first of all. Metro access is basically just as good -- and we're getting a Wawa!

I just moved into the area described as "good" above -- west of RI Ave, not far from Powder Mill Road (we are south of it). It's a close call. I agree that the neighborhood is totally pleasant to live in -- don't give it much thought, really -- but my wife is iffy on the running-after-dark thing. There are worse places to be. There are also better places to be, basically still in Beltsville -- like some of the newer homes up off Old Gunpowder, Briggs-Chaney, etc. Worth looking, but I'd avoid committing until you've actually seen the area immediately around where you'd live and had a chance to drive around day and night.

The bigger issue might be whether that's the right location for you at all. Yes, you can metro from Greenbelt to NIH, but it'll take a million years and cost a lot more than you think (especially when you've got to factor in parking at Greenbelt even if you're only a few minutes away). You might be better off trying to wedge yourself in closer to the Red Line (Silver Spring or north). If you're high enough up on Georgia Ave, your fiancee will be able to use the ICC from there to 95 as soon as it's done (next year, I think) and you'd have a not awful trip down to Wheaton. Wheaton itself is mediocre. Olney and some of those neighborhoods up there might present different appealing options.

But seriously, do look at Beltsville if the commuting patterns make the most sense. The right place probably exists for you if you can find it.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:05 PM

12 posts, read 21,015 times
I've got a beautifully renovated all brick cape cod in hyattsville, less than a mile from new carrolton metro, that might be good for you. only $199,900

you can see it on this link 7403 Varnum St, Hyattsville, MD | Powered by Postlets

Of course, there are many other properties available. If you like I can send email a list of what's on the market right now in beltsville, greenbelt or any other area and get up automated updates as they become available. Email me directly at reidbutterfield@remax.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland