Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 03:54 PM

18,579 posts, read 10,582,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngeri1 View Post
These are excellent points.
Your first post and you go to a thread a year old for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 06:02 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,945,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Housing markets are a function of the number of people who are willing to live in that area.

I bolded part of your quote. Indeed this is true. The question is: why? You should look internally rather than externally for the answer. Blacks should be asking the question "why do people desire to avoid our communities" rather than put the blame on other people for doing so. Indeed I would think there are plenty of black people who would not even want to live in black communities.

I'm sure a lot of Whites would love to take advantage of some of the cheap housing in Baltimore, but for all intents and purposes are completely prevented from living there, effectively "chased out" if you will. Is that not "racist"? This actually forces Whites to have to pay higher housing costs just to attain what most people would consider a reasonable quality of life. How many neighborhoods are effectively "redlined" toward Whites? It may not be in a legal sense, but in a QOL and personal safety sense there are plenty of these areas and in every city in the country.

In many respects it would be unsafe for a White person or family to move to some of those 100% black areas, but the reverse is never true, in fact most non-Whites would love to move into White neighborhoods in order to take advantage of the quality of life in that vicinity. And if people desire to live in those areas that means there is more demand for the supply; that translates into higher prices. This is just the reality of the situation.

Whatever article this came from is exactly right. In Maryland, which is 29% black you effectively are cutting out 70% of potential home buyers. From there it can only go down because you are cutting out anyone who can't/won't purchase a 400k home, cutting out anyone who wants more acerage/less density, etc.

Meanwhile you have pull in the opposite direction: if you have a black family with 400k to spend on that house, would they move into a black neighborhood or are half of them more apt to move into a White neighborhood instead?

There are similar forces at work in many other areas too: Lets say for example that a black kid gets into UMD or Towson, why the heck would he go to Bowie, Morgan or Chopin even if he's been accepted to all of those schools? What would the draw be? What would the advantage be?
You should move to Cockeysville. Black families all over the place. And many are HUD buys.

This is one of the best posts in the thread.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:12 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,945,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Why complaints about lower housing costs? You get the high paying DC govt salary along with low housing costs and lower expenses.
Meanwhile these white people have to pay 2-3 x more if they want to buy a house in white area.
you just mad you didn't buy the right location at the right time.
Hmmm, how high is the DC Government salary? I have to send this BS to my Father. He will get a kick out of it.

(Not related to this thread but federal contractor pay is high, but federal employee wages are not, and that is a distinction that many fail to make, just one link......https://www.pogo.org/analysis/2018/0...ctor-salaries/)

Old 07-15-2019, 12:03 PM

7,079 posts, read 9,530,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Hmmm, how high is the DC Government salary? I have to send this BS to my Father. He will get a kick out of it.

(Not related to this thread but federal contractor pay is high, but federal employee wages are not, and that is a distinction that many fail to make, just one link......https://www.pogo.org/analysis/2018/0...ctor-salaries/)
Not very high at all. The scale tops out at $195k. Of course, the Federal scale tops out at $400+ for the President of the US. Unless it is higher since the last time I checked.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:19 PM

707 posts, read 1,402,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Not very high at all. The scale tops out at $195k. Of course, the Federal scale tops out at $400+ for the President of the US. Unless it is higher since the last time I checked.
The President makes a base salary of $400K, he also gets an annual expense account, a travel account and
a $20k entertainment stipend. These fringe benefits bring the Presidents total salary to just over $550K a year.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:07 PM

490 posts, read 922,122 times
Prince George's County compare to Baltimore City/County is Oasis. You can say what you want Prince George's County is the RICHEST BLACK COUNTY IN THE NATION. That alone rings bells.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:36 AM

170 posts, read 187,374 times
Responding to InchingWest's assertion that non-black people with money would refuse to live in a black-majority area:

I'm not black. My family's income is 350K+/yr. We choose to live in Fort Washington, in Prince George's County. Aside from the poor running of government, poor schools, lack of meaningful commercial development, and terrible road infrastructure (none of these, by the way, relate to the racial make-up of the region), we are happy with where we live.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:22 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,582,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalux View Post
Responding to InchingWest's assertion that non-black people with money would refuse to live in a black-majority area:

I'm not black. My family's income is 350K+/yr. We choose to live in Fort Washington, in Prince George's County. Aside from the poor running of government, poor schools, lack of meaningful commercial development, and terrible road infrastructure (none of these, by the way, relate to the racial make-up of the region), we are happy with where we live.
LOL, nice try.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:41 AM

170 posts, read 187,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LOL, nice try.
G1 wtf are you on about? Honestly, judging by your absurd commentary on this board over the years, I'm surprised you have not been committed to an institution yet. I guess Charles County really is desperate to have cheerleaders, and you're it.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:01 AM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalux View Post
...........Aside from the poor running of government, poor schools, lack of meaningful commercial development, and terrible road infrastructure (none of these, by the way, relate to the racial make-up of the region), we are happy with where we live.
"Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln how did you enjoy the play?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland