Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 08:55 PM

170 posts, read 233,853 times

Advertisements

Gentrification/Racism is thrown around nowadays. In order for Prince George's County to compete it needs corporations to relocate. The reasoning as to why DC, Arlington, MoCo, and Fairfax perform higher is because they have transformed their metro stations and placed job centers.

This is slowly happening at the New Carrollton and Largo stations. However, it could intensify once the county rewrites its zoning laws which are outdated. Once jobs, education, and livability improve on the east side of the beltway the county/values will improve. Sprawl and having bad development patterns will have a bad effect once oil commodities rise again.

I love living in the county by the way due to affordability and proximity to D.C. but there is untapped potential especially inside the beltway.

Last edited by gjosephunf; 07-11-2018 at 09:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 08:56 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,339 times
On the other hand, retail space in Woodmore Town Center is about the highest rent you'll find anywhere in the DMV. So those that DO invest properly are rewarded you could say.

I don't disagree that there is a racist legacy with retail specifically in PG.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:01 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Until Prince George's County can shake the one party democrat only mentality, no one will take us seriously. Each election, the democrat wins- how much effort do you think the republicans in the state house will put towards that?
You clearly didn't pay attention to the hotly contested primary race in the county. It wasn't just for county execuitve either: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.85db4f7a7776

You'd feel a bit differently if you were more informed. If you feel that republicans don't stand a chance in PG you are generally correct. So participate in the primary, which are contested. If you don't, I find it difficult to accept your argument, unless your chief complaint is with the state laws regarding primary elections...

Old 07-11-2018, 09:21 PM

170 posts, read 233,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
But I think you're missing the point. Regardless of where the income comes from, at a $250,000 household income, with similar crime levels and school performance, White communities have always enjoyed higher home values simply because they are White. This thread is just rehashing that well known historical fact. Nothing has really changed.

However, White communities are closer to job centers and thus helps to push their home values even higher whereas Black homeowners, who have been kept away from communities near job centers due to racism, discrimination, and now gentrification, live in neighborhoods with longer commutes and fewer professional job opportunities. It is why Prince George's County is continually considered a "bedroom community."

Montgomery County has Bethesda, Rockville, Silver Spring, and Gaithersburg. Howard County has Columbia. Prince George's has no such job center, just large office parks. The Discovery District in College Park would be the closest comparison to a professional job center, though just a glorified office park and much smaller in scale than those cities just mentioned.

The Color Of Law
I can envision a mini "Tyson's" or "Bethesda" in places such as Largo and New Carrollton. There needs to be political will power at the local/state levels when it comes to planning, development, and business retention.

If a company like Amazon or Apple relocated it would cause a growth spurt. Here is a list of major employers in the county. It looks quite meager to me.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...y9FjD0JTqOPRQq

Old 07-11-2018, 09:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
I don’t think buildings -whether they are houses or schools -do anything
Buildings are made of brick and wood -they just sit there and stare at each other
It’s the people in them that determine their goodness or evil and give those places their value
My opinion of others does not determine their value
That is determined by their own actions

Old 07-11-2018, 10:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Is this thread the reverse of the usual complaints about gentrification?
"X neighborhood with black people has appreciated too much! Racism!"
"Y neighborhood with black people has appreciated too little! Racism!"
Lol, pretty much yes.

https://www.theroot.com/washington-d...ion-1826899679

You got this thread complaining that the lack of home value is racist, then got an article about a lawsuit claiming the increase in home values are racist. lol.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:33 AM

170 posts, read 188,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, pretty much yes.

https://www.theroot.com/washington-d...ion-1826899679

You got this thread complaining that the lack of home value is racist, then got an article about a lawsuit claiming the increase in home values are racist. lol.
Purported racism against black people, by the way. Because black Americans are the only minorities that matter, obv. There's no incentivized victim mentality, at all.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:58 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
You clearly didn't pay attention to the hotly contested primary race in the county. It wasn't just for county execuitve either: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.85db4f7a7776

You'd feel a bit differently if you were more informed. If you feel that republicans don't stand a chance in PG you are generally correct. So participate in the primary, which are contested. If you don't, I find it difficult to accept your argument, unless your chief complaint is with the state laws regarding primary elections...
Hotly contested? pretty much the election results show that the democrats are still the thing to be in the county- and its no use running republican, independent, etc as you wont get the vote in the general. In this county, the democrat who wins the primary will win the general. I believe you sir are confused.

In the primary, if your not a democrat, pretty much you have no say-so in how the general turns out- democrats always win- hands down and you can only vote for your party and nothing else. What's the point in being anything other than a democrat if you CANT vote for anything but democrat in the primary who will be the eventual winner?

Old 07-12-2018, 08:40 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Hotly contested? pretty much the election results show that the democrats are still the thing to be in the county- and its no use running republican, independent, etc as you wont get the vote in the general. In this county, the democrat who wins the primary will win the general. I believe you sir are confused.

In the primary, if your not a democrat, pretty much you have no say-so in how the general turns out- democrats always win- hands down and you can only vote for your party and nothing else. What's the point in being anything other than a democrat if you CANT vote for anything but democrat in the primary who will be the eventual winner?
In one party counties, you could switch registration to vote in the primary that matters, then switch affiliation back before the general. No money involved, just filing paperwork.

I have friends in my county who do that. They register GOP to vote in the primary, then switch back to Libertarians, Democrats, etc. afterwards.

I would prefer open primaries and competitive two party counties as well, but that isn't reality.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:45 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:

Until Prince George's County can shake the one party democrat only mentality, no one will take us seriously. Each election, the democrat wins- how much effort do you think the republicans in the state house will put towards that?
What does this have to do with success of the county at all? DC is a one party democrat base and look at it now. Arlington is democratic, Boston, Seattle, democrats run many thriving and booming cities or jurisdictions in this region and throughout the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland