Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 16,577 times

Advertisements

Around this time next year, I'd like to call myself a homeowner!

Here's what I'm looking for in MD:

Townhome (no condos, please)
3 Bedrooms
2+ Bathrooms
1+ Garage
> 1,500 sq ft.
< 15 min drive from a DC metro station

My budget does not allow me to go over $280k

Most results come in from the Suitland and District Heights area. Can anyone share what community development will be taking place there?

Last edited by dleroice; 11-15-2018 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 04:43 PM

789 posts, read 1,094,928 times
Short answer: very little community development, mostly focused on mixed-income and senior housing. FYI that area is probably the least safe DC suburb. You can do better with the same budget to be honest.

There are good neighborhoods with townhouse garages near the Morgan Blvd and Largo metro stations. I'd look there instead. And there is a lot more good development activity now and down the road.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:48 PM

106 posts, read 300,806 times
There is a new townhome development being built in Suitland, MD. Directly across from the Census building. I believe Ryan Homes is the builder.

I wouldn't call it the "least safe DC suburb". However, I will say that it lacks quality grocers and malls if that is something you're interested in. There's a newish shopping center about 2 miles down the road which includes a Giant Foods, Panda Express, Jerry's Subs, Chick fil a, and plenty of eateries like that.

I don't live too far from that area, but in all honestly I ended up doing my shopping either over the bridge in VA or in the Bowie, MD areas.

There's also Clinton, MD that is close and 2 close metro stations, both on the green line.

I'd recommend that you stay away from purchasing near apartment complexes.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:36 PM

Thanks, everyone. I understand Suitland is less than ideal right now, but I believe a lot of people said that about DC neighborhoods < 10 years ago. I believe the location is ideal for a change since it has so many geographic perks.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:25 PM

I found an article about that Suitland project. https://wtop.com/business-finance/20...-project-ever/

Notice the diversity of the people in the renderings lol

Old 11-19-2018, 08:58 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleroice View Post
Thanks, everyone. I understand Suitland is less than ideal right now, but I believe a lot of people said that about DC neighborhoods < 10 years ago. I believe the location is ideal for a change since it has so many geographic perks.
You're right, Suitland has the potential to be transformed over the next decade if the county comes through on its promises to revitalize the area. But with anything, that will take a while. Especially since its the suburbs vs the city.

You seem to be flexible so I would take the risk and buy something near the proposed Suitland TC and see how things progress over the next 5 years. You can always sell or rent out your place if you want to move on.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:52 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleroice View Post
I found an article about that Suitland project. https://wtop.com/business-finance/20...-project-ever/

Notice the diversity of the people in the renderings lol
whats the current status of this project?

Old 11-21-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
whats the current status of this project?

I drove past about three days ago and it looks like a bunch of leveled dirt lol. They are almost done with constructing and decorating these model homes. I called them to inquire about a sales timeframe and January 2019 is when they will take appointments.

I assume that models will be delivered during the Summer (July-ish). My comparison is a Ryan project timeline that began sales earlier this month with plans to deliver in May.

There were a few stores parallel to Suitland Rd near the intersection of Suitland Rd and Silver Hill Rd that got closed down and I assume they will be demolished.

From what I found online, this is a three-phase project:
Phase 1 -> Townhomes
Phase 2 -> Apartments ("affordable housing")
Phase 3 -> Retail/Commercial

Site plan below

Old 12-08-2018, 07:06 AM

3 posts, read 7,541 times
Suitland would be a good buy right now. Either in the new housing developments or nearby in some of the single family home neighborhood's.

The reputation of Suitland being crime ridden is really an exaggeration, stemming from the crack epidemic of the 1980s and 90s. The two apartment complexs that were the center of the crime problems were torn down 20 years ago. There are still some issues along Silver Hill rd. There have been some unfortunate shootings concentrated along that corridor but things are nothing like they were in the 90s.

To say all of Suitland is unsafe is like saying all of DC is unsafe because of crime on Benning road. It amazes me how nice some of quiet residential streets are and knowing that if the same street was in Silver Springs or Rockville the houses would be almost double the prices.

To me its a great bargain and another best kept secret about to be "discovered. " and it is about to be discovered. The area is to well situated and has to many advantages to be gnored.

It really is close to Capitol Hill ( at the right time of day you can be on the Hill in 10 mins. coming straight down Pennsylvania ave. I've done it ) The thousands of workers coming out of the Fed Center everyday could just as easily walk home across the street instead of driving from NV as they do now. Rushern Baker is right, Suitland would be a good place to invest right now. Right now a lot of demolition is going on but when folks start buying and moving in the potential will be more obvious for all to see.

Last edited by Madana; 12-08-2018 at 07:15 AM..

Old 12-09-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madana View Post
It really is close to Capitol Hill ( at the right time of day you can be on the Hill in 10 mins. coming straight down Pennsylvania ave. I've done it ) The thousands of workers coming out of the Fed Center everyday could just as easily walk home across the street instead of driving from NV as they do now. Rushern Baker is right, Suitland would be a good place to invest right now. Right now a lot of demolition is going on but when folks start buying and moving in the potential will be more obvious for all to see.
What specific outcomes do you want to see from all of this new development? This new town center is still surrounded by shabby-looking homes and the median income is approx. $56,951 compared to ~$83k in Largo, MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland