Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2018, 03:35 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,550 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Ah come on, it's not accurate to describe the neighborhood adjacent to the new developments as simply shabby, did you really mean to throw in a gratuitous insult just to start a conversation?

There is a large garden apartment complex nearby that could be better maintained, yes.

But have you actually driven down the residential streets of the single family neighborhoods? Suitland is a jurisdiction of enclaves, due to how the area was zoned in the 1920's. Some of these enclaves are well kept some are not, Ive noticed it depends on if a particular cul de sac was overwhelmed by the later construction of apartments in the 50s and 60s. Many of the cottages you'll find are small by today's standards but many are well kept by their owners. You can also find brick colonials, split level ramblers, even new infill construction on previously vacant lots. There are homes and streets that would fit in if they were in White Oak, Wheaton or many other Montgomery County neighborhoods. Having lived for many years in Mont. Co., I was always struck by the difference in home prices, same house, 20 miles away, $200, 300,000 difference in price, Afterall this area was built to cater to a lower to middle class population like those areas. The change in racial demographics in the 70s is what changed the perception of Suitland.


Of course the construction of all the apartment complexs along Silver Hill rd. changed that trajectory. So there is poverty but it's not accurate to say the whole area is dominated by it. It has what as been described as the unique PG county blend, low income close by middle income, close by sometimes surprising affluence. And the fact is the median is only somewhat less than the national average.

To answer your question, what l want to see is Suitland live up to its potential. It has the ingredients. A focus by the county's government on the area, engaged and active civic associations, excellent location and a very large work force that needs to be coaxed out of the fortress of the Fed Center. Ideally the commercial corridor can be revived and a walkable neighborhood is created.

Would also like to see if the area can actually be what Rushern Baker envisioned. A community that actually figures out how to engage it's current residents in the process of "gentrification" if that's what you want to call it. I think the term is moot. If Suitland can engage the population of young black men and women in the apartment complexes in the upliftment of the area, then Suitland will be a model for the country.
.

Last edited by Madana; 12-09-2018 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2018, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Upper Marlboro
789 posts, read 1,095,900 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madana View Post
Ah come on, it's not accurate to describe the neighborhood adjacent to the new developments as simply shabby, did you really mean to throw in a gratuitous insult just to start a conversation?

...

Would also like to see if the area can actually be what Rushern Baker envisioned. A community that actually figures out how to engage it's current residents in the process of "gentrification" if that's what you want to call it. I think the term is moot. If Suitland can engage the population of young black men and women in the apartment complexes in the upliftment of the area, then Suitland will be a model for the country.
.
I seriously appreciate your enthusiasm and optimism. I think the situation you describe it is better applied to communities like Glenarden, Mt. Rainier or Oxon Hill, which are undergoing substantial positive socio-economic changes from within, not the DC-style gentrification from people outside. (Glenarden Woods Elem a blue ribbon school this year, for example). Unfortunately I still maintain that Suitland / Silver Hill remains a vibrant, fairly safe, but ultimately depressed suburban area, similar to Hybla Valley VA or West Hyattsville. Some, as you describe, is due to unfair racial prejudice, but much of it is geography and history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 AM
 
3 posts, read 7,550 times
Reputation: 19
How can Suitland be both vibrant ( not sure I'd describe Suitland as vibrant, it isn't yet ) and ultimately remain depressed? That makes no sense.
My enthusiasm, if that is what you perceive my statements to be is based on an assessment of the dynamics of the area.
The factors I cited are actually in place.

Its a 15 minute drive to Capitol Hill, if the first rule of real estate is location, it has that advantage out of the chute. Again you have a work day population of 10,000 federal workers, currently ensconced inside the Federal Center, until now, nothing in the neighborhood enticed them to come out. The PG county government has shown a unusual amount of attention and competence in its initiatives and revitalization programs.
On my street alone over the last few years the county has installed new sidewalks and paving, resurfaced the street, cleaned out and reconfigured a clogged ravine. Torn down abandened properties and generally done a very good job of convincing the residents of the the area it's serious about reviving Suitland.

Property values and property taxes have steadily be rising. In the years I've been here I've seen a number of renovations and expansions and I can think of off hand of at least 4 nearby empty lots where new houses have been built. And there are still large empty lots across the neighborhoods. Just looking at the trends in the region, you can see more development is moving east. Anyone familiar with real estate in PG, know this area has been a destination for house flippers and speculators for some years now. The new Town Center and the knowledge that it was coming has been a catalyst for much of this. When those townhouses actually start selling, it will already be to late for the late trenders looking for cheap purchases.
All these factors just make it seem obvious the area is in for quite a change. Former County Ex. Rushern Baker has said one might compare future Suitland to Wheaton now.
Not sure why we'd want to be Wheaton but I get his point.
Former County Ex. Glendening once said PG County was Americas test, if PG could not remain integrated, racially and economically, there was not much hope to do so anywhere else in the country.
A number of inside the Beltway towns in PG county seem to be reviving,. I think Suitland is PG Countys test.
Can this town be a model for finally getting revitalization right. Engaging the low income population already here instead of driving them out, I believe it can, based on the variables and local dynamics. It has a good foundation. Its people and its location and a business plan that thus far appears to be moving forward.
Suitland just seems to be in line with whats happening already. Capitol Hill restoration once did not go past 8th St. Now the far end of Capitol East is now construction crane city. Randle Heights in DC now getting second looks. And the truth is familes from expensive Capitol Hill have been moving to Hill Crest Heights and Penn Branch for years now. Suitland is right in the middle with development coming from further east, Westphalia and Upper Marlboro. If the current regime in the white house doesn't destroy the DC economy, I think Suitland is going to be a very interesting place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2020, 11:17 AM
 
12 posts, read 11,828 times
Reputation: 21
Default Latest on Suitland?

Hi all so what's the latest on the Ryan homes townhomes and the future development across from Suitland Federal Center -- esp in light of Covid-19??? Is this area still a good buy for a young professional couple? I work in College Park, MD where there is also alot of development along the Route 1 corridor but I'm looking for the next urban metropolis that is close to the city but far enough to not be affected by all the traffic. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2020, 09:01 AM
 
4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Reputation: 3902
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPeach22 View Post
Hi all so what's the latest on the Ryan homes townhomes and the future development across from Suitland Federal Center -- esp in light of Covid-19??? Is this area still a good buy for a young professional couple? I work in College Park, MD where there is also alot of development along the Route 1 corridor but I'm looking for the next urban metropolis that is close to the city but far enough to not be affected by all the traffic. Thoughts?
I'd say Hyattsville/College Park is probably still better for that. Mostly because it's further along. Perhaps Suitland could eventually become that. Though it will take time to redevelop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2020, 03:21 PM
 
12 posts, read 11,828 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'd say Hyattsville/College Park is probably still better for that. Mostly because it's further along. Perhaps Suitland could eventually become that. Though it will take time to redevelop.
thanks for your supply. Hyattsville/College Park is definitely further along than Suitland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2020, 02:37 PM
 
15 posts, read 14,432 times
Reputation: 48
So I stopped by to see the townhouses at Suitland Towne Square back in May, and they were selling for ~$360k for the base model. About a month ago, they were up to ~$400k for the base and selling briskly. According to the sales pitch, they already have More than Java committed as the coffee shop, but they are in negotiations with Harris Teeter, Matchbox pizza, Target and Panera Bread for the retail space. No clue how much of that will pan out, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2020, 01:53 PM
 
12 posts, read 11,828 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by suitlander View Post
So I stopped by to see the townhouses at Suitland Towne Square back in May, and they were selling for ~$360k for the base model. About a month ago, they were up to ~$400k for the base and selling briskly. According to the sales pitch, they already have More than Java committed as the coffee shop, but they are in negotiations with Harris Teeter, Matchbox pizza, Target and Panera Bread for the retail space. No clue how much of that will pan out, of course.
Yea I'm not surprised at the price increase at all. Several new home communities are experiencing the same increases. This area will indeed blow up if they do get that coffee shop, the grocery story and the planned arts center. It's definitely a good area to buy into. I think they will make good on their promised developments. When I visited say in June, I just didn't like the aesthetics of the immediate surrounding area, but in about 2 years, this place will transform. definitely a good investment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2020, 10:23 AM
 
15 posts, read 14,432 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPeach22 View Post
Yea I'm not surprised at the price increase at all. Several new home communities are experiencing the same increases. This area will indeed blow up if they do get that coffee shop, the grocery story and the planned arts center. It's definitely a good area to buy into. I think they will make good on their promised developments. When I visited say in June, I just didn't like the aesthetics of the immediate surrounding area, but in about 2 years, this place will transform. definitely a good investment
I really think it's going to blow up either way. Nature abhors a vacuum, and Suitland has been a vacuum for a long time. Crime rates have been dropping. Not gone, but lower. USCIS has the brand new building across from the Branch Ave metro, along with the brand new Apollo Restaurant Row being built. Additional jobs are coming to the Suitland Federal Center. All of that is combined with the fact that Prince George's in general is the last relatively affordable housing market with easy access into DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2020, 01:26 PM
 
12 posts, read 11,828 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by suitlander View Post
I really think it's going to blow up either way. Nature abhors a vacuum, and Suitland has been a vacuum for a long time. Crime rates have been dropping. Not gone, but lower. USCIS has the brand new building across from the Branch Ave metro, along with the brand new Apollo Restaurant Row being built. Additional jobs are coming to the Suitland Federal Center. All of that is combined with the fact that Prince George's in general is the last relatively affordable housing market with easy access into DC.
That is a good point. I'm still not too familiar with Suitland - all I knew was that the Census Bureau was across the street and Redevelop Prince Georges had promised some pretty big developments down there. I wish I had bought there when they first started selling even if I wasn't planning to live down there. Yea you are right about USCIS and the development over there, that is going to be amazing as well. Alot is happening in that area. Are you in that area? Im in Laurel, MD right now hoping that they will get some new energy over here outside of College Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top