Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,015 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning to move to Hagerstown for work in a few months. I started researching online about housing, etc. and it just doesn’t seem like Hagerstown is a great place for me to live. My main concerns are:

1. Where should I live? In Hagerstown or in a surrounding town?
I will be renting. I currently live in Pittsburgh and would prefer an apartment complex but it doesn’t really seem like they have anything like that.

2. What is the crime like? On the crime map downtown looks like a hotspot. What’s the general vibe? Would I be on high alert 24/7 when I am downtown?

3. What is the lifestyle like? Like I said, I’m a young 20s female coming from the city, so I’m worried that there will literally be nothing to do and no way to meet people my age. What can I expect in this regard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 08:45 AM

15,108 posts, read 27,550,358 times

Old 01-14-2019, 10:52 AM

6,915 posts, read 11,162,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpharmacist19 View Post
Hello,

I am planning to move to Hagerstown for work in a few months. I started researching online about housing, etc. and it just doesn’t seem like Hagerstown is a great place for me to live. My main concerns are:

1. Where should I live? In Hagerstown or in a surrounding town?
I will be renting. I currently live in Pittsburgh and would prefer an apartment complex but it doesn’t really seem like they have anything like that.

2. What is the crime like? On the crime map downtown looks like a hotspot. What’s the general vibe? Would I be on high alert 24/7 when I am downtown?

3. What is the lifestyle like? Like I said, I’m a young 20s female coming from the city, so I’m worried that there will literally be nothing to do and no way to meet people my age. What can I expect in this regard?
Hagerstown is a small city in a county that is mostly rural, but with some suburban commuter types communities as well.

The overall vibe of the county is conservative, although Hagerstown proper would be more mixed in political affiliation.

I can't really speak to the nightlife or crime specifically. I think you are correct that downtown Hagerstown is the highest crime region.......probably not a place to be careless or lingering, but also not an area that must be avoided. Coming from Pittsburgh, I don't think the crime there would be anything more than what you are used to.

What is your salary? Where are you working? Frederick is about 30 miles east of Hagerstown, and a more dynamic city in terms of stuff of do and proximity to the metro areas. It is also more expensive, and would give you a commute if you are working in Hagerstown. It may be something to consider.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:47 PM

461 posts, read 1,276,846 times
This is a new, nice community in a good location and nice area:

https://www.dynacorpinc.com/reserve

Old 01-16-2019, 04:54 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpharmacist19 View Post
I am planning to move to Hagerstown for work in a few months.
How long will you be expected to remain there and not risk the job?
What other location choices does the employer offer?

Old 01-18-2019, 12:02 PM

833 posts, read 514,868 times
I can't speak to Hagerstown specifically, but if I were you i'd research to see if living just across the state line in PA is more beneficial to you from a tax perspective. PA is literally a stone's throw away. Might not hurt to see if you benefit in any way by living there instead of MD. Chambersburg and Waynesboro might be worth a look.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:34 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,487,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
I can't speak to Hagerstown specifically, but if I were you i'd research to see if living just across the state line in PA is more beneficial to you from a tax perspective. PA is literally a stone's throw away. Might not hurt to see if you benefit in any way by living there instead of MD. Chambersburg and Waynesboro might be worth a look.
On the same note...just south of Hagerstown across the Potomac is the eastern panhandle of West Virginia (specifically Berkeley, Jefferson Counties). Like PA, cheaper cost of living.

The EP is booming with new housing options because of the rapid commercial growth the area is seeing plus DC commuters. You could find a place to rent at the snap of a finger. My development alone has at least 4 open units (but they sell quickly). I-81 can be hectic at times, but will greatly improve once the construction concludes in a couple of years over the Potomac.

No matter where you go in the tri-state region (PA, MD, WV), you're not going to find the nightlife scene that you had in Pittsburgh. Facts are facts. However, the nightlife scene here has always been vibrant enough to keep me satisfied (I'm also in my 20s). I can't speak for Hagerstown, I only go to there occasionally to shop...but for the reasons mentioned above the eastern panhandle has plenty of people our age (but again nothing like Pittsburgh).

I hope this helps.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:00 PM

5,101 posts, read 6,012,022 times
You might post in the Frederick subforum. It covers more of the area west of Montgomery County.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:17 PM

4,357 posts, read 4,192,420 times
Hagerstown is not a D.C suburbs. It's about 2 hrs away from D.C. Probably won't get a good opinion here.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:24 PM

80 posts, read 404,910 times
Default Philly Transplant

I moved to Hagerstown in my mid-twenties to Hagerstown from Philadelphia about 15 years ago. I was married with a small child, so I wasn't looking for a social scene, good thing too, because it's non-existent here. We stay because the cost of living is so much cheaper than living closer to where my husband works, Columbia, MD.

Overall, I feel safe living here. It's the stuck in the past thinking that keeps this city in the dumps. Hagerstown could be a similar ex-urb like Frederick, but because it's much MUCH more conservative than progressive, it stays stagnant. The only things that strive here are chain restaurants and all you can eat buffets.

You are much better off checking out Frederick if you want a social scene, though the rent will be considerably more. Chambersburg, PA or Martinsburg / Spring Mills, WV are better options as far as future growth and cost wise than Hagerstown.

Once our kids are finished school, we're out of here. They only have their high school years left and they have gone to school here their whole life. But once they are done, we are moving to either Frederick Co or Anne Arundel

HTH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland