Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 4,442 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband is getting a job on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington DC. We have three small children between the ages of eight and one. We are looking for a home in the Maryland/VA suburbs where the commute would not be more than an hour. Our housing budget is between 450k and 550k. We would like a newer house, not a fixer-upper. Somewhere family friendly, close to parks. Great schools are definitely a must.
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 5,417 times
Hi Dear,

We are in a similar situation. I work in Bethesda and my husband works in DC Penn Ave. We need to find our next home by Aug 2019 and so far, I can't figure out the right place for the money, school and commute. Hope we gets answers

Old 03-08-2019, 11:51 AM

77 posts, read 84,913 times
What features are you looking for in the house? 3 Bed? 4 Bed? SFH/Detached or Townhouse? Do you care if there's a backyard if you're close to parks? What is a "newer house" to you? Something built within the last 10 years? I'd say with your budget, you're going to have to make some compromises.

NoVA - You're likely not going to find anything close-in (within the Fairfax County Parkway) built within the last 10-years in your budget. You'll have to look at outer areas like Ashburn, Sterling, Chantilly, Manassas, Woodbridge, etc. Those offerings tend to be townhouses, with a few SFH either on the older side of age or the top of your budget. You're NOT getting to Pennsylvania Avenue in an hour during rush hour, even with toll roads; realistically its more like 1.5 - 2 hours. Someone else can speak to the schools.

PG - You'll find a lot of new construction homes well within your budget in family friendly neighborhoods close to parks. They'll be a 50 min - 1 hour commute during rush hour. Schools would be the only issue (particularly some middle and high schools). Review sites each have their own measurement criteria, so its always best to ask parents in the current system if you can. Overall, I'd say to look around northeastern parts of the county to find everything that you'd want (Greenbelt, Bowie, Mitchellville, Lanham, Woodmore, etc). || Westphalia near Andrews airforce base is a new large development outside the beltway surrounded by greenery with family friendly attractions coming soon (amphitheater, community center). You can hop on Pennsylvania Avenue or Suitland Parkway easy enough to go to work. Neighboring communities (Forestville, Suitland, etc) are still depressed areas. So if your taste is more Whole Foods and Panera Bread than Dollar Tree and Little Caesars, you're going to be doing some driving until the Westphalia Town Center is complete.

MoCo - You're kind of in the same boat as both NoVA and PG depending on where you're at. You'll be out in Clarksburg, Germantown and Gaithersburg to find newer townhouses in your budget surrounded by good school offerings, but they'll be well over an hour commute. You may find a few here and there closer inside the county, but the schools aren't great.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:50 PM

Those are some good points. I’m fine with a townhome and a relatively small yard as long as there are parks or common spaces for the kids to play within walking distance. I’d ideally need 4 bedrooms and a finished basement. I guess “older” was the wrong term, I’m at least looking for curb appeal. I really don’t want a 60’s split level facade, but I can do a 60’s brickface as long as it’s 2 stories. Does that change anything?

Old 03-08-2019, 02:14 PM

Yes/No

NoVA - you can get inside the beltway (the Fairfax County part), which improves the commute, but most of the homes I'd expect you to find are those 1 story ranchers and the split foyer homes. You'll have to go on Zillow to really find what you want and if its been updated. I don't think Fairfax schools are that great either.

PG - General advice is the same, and you could also look into Hyattsville and College Park for older homes.

MoCo - General advice is the same, and there are a lot of brick face 2 story homes in the greater Silver Spring area you'd probably like.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:33 PM

Based on these counties you mention, which seem the most family friendly with a whole foods vibe as opposed to dollar store?

Old 03-08-2019, 02:51 PM

All of the counties have that. You'll need to speak with a realtor to get a better feel of the areas if you can't visit out.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:20 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,672 times
you might want to consider getting a house near a MARC rail station (commuter rail in Maryland - there is one in VA as as well I believe) Germantown and Gaithersburg have a Marc rail station as do other suburbs - 60 or 75 minutes on a train is a lot better than sitting in traffic https://s3.amazonaws.com/mta-website...ap_09_2018.pdf

Old 03-12-2019, 12:05 PM

400 posts, read 449,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeTongue View Post
Yes/No

NoVA - you can get inside the beltway (the Fairfax County part), which improves the commute, but most of the homes I'd expect you to find are those 1 story ranchers and the split foyer homes. You'll have to go on Zillow to really find what you want and if its been updated. I don't think Fairfax schools are that great either.
Unless something has drastically changed in the last couple years, Fairfax County school tend to be near the top of school systems in the country. Certainly in the area. MoCo & Loudoun counties are the only ones that really rival Fairfax.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 4,765 times
Hi. For the OP and second poster, I would recommend Potomac Overlook, National Harbor. The location is great for your various commutes. Its on the water, walkable, and has great amenities. And you can get a resale or new construction in the low to mid 600s. The homes are starting to see a nice uptick in sales and resales since the Amazon announcement also. I'm guessing since we are about 4 miles away.... Many of the residents, who don't use the public schools, choose to go the private route in DC, NOVA, or MD. All 3 areas are extremely close, which gives you a plethora of school choices. …...Full disclosure. My wife and I live here and love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland