Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2019, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,540 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just sold our home in DC, and will be closing on a home in the Preserves of Piscataway in Accokeek. We absolutely love the area from what we have seen so far. Initially Accokeek was not on our radar at first but the commute is doable, we will using 223 to 5 and head into the city that way since we both work in DC. I'm just trying to get a better feel of the area since I haven't seen too much online. Not worried about schools since my stepson is in his senior year and my daughter's (from previous marriage) are adults now, we're relatively young (I'm in my early/mid 40s and wife is in her late 30s). I think my 2yr old grandson would love it here when he visits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 07:44 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Still pretty exurban in general. Though that may change soon. Most people travel on Indiam Head Highway to get to work. There aren't a lot of stores in Accokeek, however they aren't too far away.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:04 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasho001 View Post
My wife and I just sold our home in DC, and will be closing on a home in the Preserves of Piscataway in Accokeek. We absolutely love the area from what we have seen so far. Initially Accokeek was not on our radar at first but the commute is doable, we will using 223 to 5 and head into the city that way since we both work in DC. I'm just trying to get a better feel of the area since I haven't seen too much online. Not worried about schools since my stepson is in his senior year and my daughter's (from previous marriage) are adults now, we're relatively young (I'm in my early/mid 40s and wife is in her late 30s). I think my 2yr old grandson would love it here when he visits.
DC?

Have you ever seen a opossum? A deer (well where you're going, several deer)? Heard peepers or crickets?

The above may sound mean but many rural pioneers who move from the city (any city) to a rural area have varying degrees of adjustment shock.

From noises to lack of noise to lack of shoppes and shopping to animals to sights.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
DC?

Have you ever seen a opossum? A deer (well where you're going, several deer)? Heard peepers or crickets?

The above may sound mean but many rural pioneers who move from the city (any city) to a rural area have varying degrees of adjustment shock.

From noises to lack of noise to lack of shoppes and shopping to animals to sights.
Actually, we have quite a few possum scurrying around the city and as far as deer goes, being from VA and being stationed in GA and WA I'm pretty familiar, although I will have to be careful driving at night. I know there will be some varying levels of adjustment I would be foolish not to think so. What is your sense of the particular neighborhood and the people of Accokeek in general.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:31 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasho001 View Post
Actually, we have quite a few possum scurrying around the city and as far as deer goes, being from VA and being stationed in GA and WA I'm pretty familiar, although I will have to be careful driving at night. I know there will be some varying levels of adjustment I would be foolish not to think so. What is your sense of the particular neighborhood and the people of Accokeek in general.
OK, I had to ask because of where I live and who has moved here over the last number of years.

I have no specific information about that particular area, my knowledge of Prince George's is more Upper Marlboro and Croom. I will say that it's good you don't have to worry about schools.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:12 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
You'll be spend a bit of time in Waldorf or Old Town Alexandria finding things to do .

Old 03-31-2019, 01:21 PM

599 posts, read 276,222 times
Accokeek = meh. Not much happening. Don't know where you're coming from in DC, but I'd imagine it will be quiet by comparison. As has been said - you'll get to know Waldorf much better than anything around Accokeek...

.... with the possible exception of B&J Carryout, a must! It's a local favorite for meals and ice cream: https://www.bjcarryout.com/

Careful on Indian Head Hwy. - one of the most dangerous roads in the DC metro for good reason. Watch your mirrors because they'll come at you from all directions.

Good luck with your move.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:38 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Check out the Facebook site "Nightmare on 210". It has 4,000 members / followers, ranting daily about the crazy drivers on Route 210. Frequent accidents occur around the intersection of Route 210 and 228 in Accokeek.

My family used to attend St. Mary's Church, right across from The Preserves. Be careful of the speeding enforcement camera on the Piscataway bypass road in front of The Preserves - as well as the speed enforcement camera coming down the roller-coaster-like hill on Piscataway Road (Route 223) near The Preserves.

Accokeek has a supermarket, a public library, a few carry-out restaurants, and a commuter lot serving both Metrobus and Md-DOT busses . Expect to do much of your shopping, dining, and entertainment, however, in Waldorf, MD.

I wrote part of the following article myself - although much of it pertains to the area over on the other side of Highway 210, near the River https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accokeek,_Maryland

Last edited by slowlane3; 03-31-2019 at 08:10 PM..

Old 04-03-2019, 03:43 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Check out the Facebook site "Nightmare on 210". It has 4,000 members / followers, ranting daily about the crazy drivers on Route 210. Frequent accidents occur around the intersection of Route 210 and 228 in Accokeek.

My family used to attend St. Mary's Church, right across from The Preserves. Be careful of the speeding enforcement camera on the Piscataway bypass road in front of The Preserves - as well as the speed enforcement camera coming down the roller-coaster-like hill on Piscataway Road (Route 223) near The Preserves.

Accokeek has a supermarket, a public library, a few carry-out restaurants, and a commuter lot serving both Metrobus and Md-DOT busses . Expect to do much of your shopping, dining, and entertainment, however, in Waldorf, MD.

I wrote part of the following article myself - although much of it pertains to the area over on the other side of Highway 210, near the River https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accokeek,_Maryland

It's been reduced to a one lane north bound due to a water main break and has been a living nightmare!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland