U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,561 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be in Silver spring (Holy Cross hosp.)for the adoption of our son. He is due mid May. I have been looking for hotels and they are all so expensive. I'm not sure I want to bring a newborn to a hotel for the first few weeks of his life either! I have advertised on Craigslist, and have sent many emails to adds left.... no reply yet. We are uncertain how long we will have to be in maryland and can't go over any state boarders untill we are cleared to come back home to Arizona. The due date of of this little guy has just changed- from june 28th to Mid May.... I'm in a panic! We don't care what part of Maryland we stay in, as long as it is safe! Any ideas would be great! We are Ok with small guest home, basement apartment, studio apt, Bed and breakfast.... even a hotel that is safe and clean enough to bring a newborn to. We could be stuck in maryland from 1 wk to 1 month....

PLEASE HELP!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 03:24 PM

240 posts, read 988,346 times
Have you thought about an extended stay hotel like Extended Stay America. When I moved, I stayed in a hotel for about a month. The price was equivalent to rent for a month. It has refrigerator and appliances so you can cook. It also has a laundry, phone, wifi etc.

I believe there is one in gathersburg, md. There are a few of the extended stay chains. No deposits necessary.

Hopes this helps.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,498 times
Residence Inn by Marriot is a pretty nice hotel. They are also extended stay so they have kitchens, living rooms, pots, pans, dishes, dishwashers, microwaves, toasters and some rooms have fireplaces. If you get a two bedroom it's really cool each person has their own bathroom. They also serve free hot breakfast and have light meals for dinner 2 or 3 times a week. It's really clean and the people were very nice. There is also a laundry room, indoor pool, game room with a pool table, and an excersise room.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,118,730 times
you might be able to rent a condo or Town homes for less instead of paying for Hotel. Hotel with a New Born is just not safe.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:58 AM

350 posts, read 1,598,816 times
I agree with the extended stay hotel ideas- it's probably your best bet. Not many apartment/condos rent on a weekly or monthly basis, and those that do may attract a crowd that you don't want to associate with. A nice extended stay hotel (not the cash and go variety) mostly attracts business travelers. There's no reason for a reputable hotel to be considered unsafe.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:29 PM

1,054 posts, read 4,912,976 times
Craigslist.org sometimes has temporary rentals--week or two or a month or two--often just house sitting for someone. Many folks are more than happy to rent to a family instead a bunch of recent college kids who would destroy things.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:01 PM

11 posts, read 42,311 times
Congratulations to you on the upcoming adoption. I don't have any advice on where to stay, but I wanted to say that I wouldn't automatically consider an extended stay hotel with a newborn as unsafe. One thing which is good about newborns is that they don't move around on their own - no need to worry about them getting to electrical outlets. That being said, I've never traveled with a baby without bringing my own pack and play and you may want to bring one with you. Buy a new one, check it out, at home so you know how to assemble it correctly, and have the baby sleep in there. I'd stay away from using a hotel crib or renting a crib from somewhere. Another thing I'd look for with any accomodations is on premises laundry facilities, as you're likely to be doing lots of laundry with a newborn and a kitchenette so you'd have a stove on which to warm bottle and sterilize them. Good luck to you!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:16 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,118,730 times
Hotels are unsafe. When you consider germs. Hotels,hospitals have plenty of germs.

I remember watching a tv show where they took swab of different hotels and the results came back with high levels of germs,bacteria. One thing about hotels is you can not open the windows to allow fresh air to come into the room. Babies need fresh and clean air.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:41 AM

350 posts, read 1,598,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredred View Post
Congratulations to you on the upcoming adoption. I don't have any advice on where to stay, but I wanted to say that I wouldn't automatically consider an extended stay hotel with a newborn as unsafe. One thing which is good about newborns is that they don't move around on their own - no need to worry about them getting to electrical outlets. That being said, I've never traveled with a baby without bringing my own pack and play and you may want to bring one with you. Buy a new one, check it out, at home so you know how to assemble it correctly, and have the baby sleep in there. I'd stay away from using a hotel crib or renting a crib from somewhere. Another thing I'd look for with any accomodations is on premises laundry facilities, as you're likely to be doing lots of laundry with a newborn and a kitchenette so you'd have a stove on which to warm bottle and sterilize them. Good luck to you!
Very good point about the pack and play- I wouldn't use a hotel crib either- and pack and plays are easy and very portable. Hotels are perfectly fine- if you're worried about germs, I'm pretty sure that your infant won't be using the remote or touching the light switches, and I'm sure that as new parents you'll be washing your hands frequently. I sometimes bring antibacterial wipes to hotels for things that they don't clean, like remotes. But a hotel would probably make your life a little easier- you wouldn't have to worry about cleaning or buying things like towels and dishes, so it will give you plenty of time to bond with your new baby- and you wouldn't be staying in a stranger's house. I'd call the hospital and see if they have any recommendations.
And a lot of hotels have private balconies for that fresh air.
Congratulations!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland