Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 12:28 PM

28 posts, read 194,992 times

Advertisements

[quote=CHICAGOLAND92;226604]I mean, are there really nice pockets in the county (McMansions, clean, etc)? .

Clinton is one good community, Summit Creek, and I'm not saying this because I live here but I can vouch for this community from personal experience. I consider Clinton close to anything especially the Metro.
Again, this my personal opinion.

By the way, considering diversity, folks here in Clinton are the kind of people I can really consider "folks" and that's coming from an asian guy. God bless and good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 12:31 AM

4 posts, read 19,177 times
I lived in Clinton for fourteen years of my life, was born in D.C. and honestly I would not move back now if you gave me a home there. I just moved my mother out from there three years ago, it would take us at least a half hour to get out of her drive way to a two lane highway, unless it was around midnight to about 5 am. You get checked leaving the Walmart up there like you are a criminal, nothing stays open past 9/10 pm except the convience stores. When I went to Surrattsville High School there was never gangs and the population was about 50/50. Prince Georges' County has lost the old feeling that we all could be family and get along. The year I moved away from Clinton the murder rate (reported) for D.C. and area was 389 June, 1988.
One of the summers my daughter spent time with family in Clinton and Abington the sniper was on the loose, and was found living not far from where I used to live.
If you like a fast paced, look over your shoulder, high prices and high taxes, GO FOR IT!

Old 01-26-2007, 12:52 AM

4 posts, read 19,177 times
P.S. I used to be able to ride my horse from my home(2 blocks away from Dangerfield and Old Alexander Ferry) on Woodyard Rd. to Roseryville Road and to Merry Mount Equestrian Center and feel safe, I wouldn't today! There is still some beautiful country side if they haven't been ruined by golf courses. With Andrews and the Naval Comunication center right there in Clinton there is a lot of Military. I can not stand to go "home" and be treated like a criminal just for shopping. I still have family that live there and in Abington, "what used to be Waldorf", actually all over Maryland, but I still would not move back.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:30 AM

28 posts, read 194,992 times
Thumbs up I somewhat second the motion to TNtrouble.

After what you said, it somewhat hit me like a big boulder. I really admire and very glad you said the things I had taken for granted in regards to Clinton. It's funny you feel the same way when you shop in Wal-mart hahahahaha! I really don't get it hahaha they look at your receipt just like you stole something. anyway, what ever makes them happy... lol

all in all, what you just said i totally agree.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,789 times
Default Prince Georges

I am a native Washingtonian. I have lived in NC, NYC and presently live in Prince Georges, Upper Marlboro which I find to be an excellent blend of city country. I previously lived in Peppermill Village, which was VERY suburban when we moved there, dirt roads, no lights, etc, but had declined and now is in the midst of a strong revitalization.

My children are adults and for the most part were educated in the county school system, where I rec'd some of my education. My oldest children own their own homes and have professional careers, one lives in the county, the other lives in Detroit. They both volunteer in the community as do I. I have a very nice life in Prince Georges! I work here too! I love it!

No its not crime free, but I grew up in the city and returned for several years, where shooting was an every night thing and I have not heard a single shot in Upper Marlboro in the nearly 10 years that I've lived here. It is not like (some parts of) NC where everyone knows your name and speaks. Its not like (some parts of) NYC where no one knows your name, no one speaks and no one cares. Again, I find it be a pleasant blend of city/country. For the most part I find everything to getting better. As far as the education is concerned, I believe that many parents trying to maintain these lifestyles are working themselves to death and cant committ to the schools the level of support that is needed, another reason I volunteer. When you put your child in some private schools they require parent involvement and that is one of the reasons that they succeed!

I dont claim to be affluent, moneywise but I do enjoy family & friends in a wonderful neighborhood. I say if you can afford to give of your time and become involved then live here, you'll experience a rich exciting diversity, just outside the door of our nations capital. If not we understand, we are the best of both

jacquism

Old 02-01-2007, 08:15 AM

311 posts, read 1,380,607 times
Re TnTrouble's post -- You really give an inaccurate picture of Clinton. First of all, the sniper was NOT found to live in Clinton -- his ex-wife lived there after separating from him and by all accounts he never attempted to come to her house, although she was afraid he would.

Second, you site murder rates for 1988 -- almost 20 years ago! The murder rate has decreased substantially in all parts of DC-metro area since then. In fact, I believe 1988 - 1990 was around the peak and it began a steady decline since then. I have noted that 2007 seems to have gotten off on a bad footing for murders, but NONE of them have been even close to the Clinton area.

I will also grant you that the Clinton Walmart sucks, but that's only because it's the closest WalMart to DC -- get the picture? Cheltenham Square, areas of Brandywine Road and Accokeek are all good areas.

As for the public schools -- avoid at all costs.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:36 PM

26 posts, read 188,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post

Second, you site murder rates for 1988 -- almost 20 years ago! The murder rate has decreased substantially in all parts of DC-metro area since then. In fact, I believe 1988 - 1990 was around the peak and it began a steady decline since then.
I know know about all areas in the DC area declining Homicides.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:07 AM

14 posts, read 78,251 times
Here is a URL of 'everything Clinton'
//www.city-data.com/city/Clinton-Maryland.html

And this one is Upper Marlboro:
//www.city-data.com/city/Upper-...-Maryland.html

I love love love those resources, they are from on city-data.com's front page.

I lived in Clinton for 26 years, I currently live in Upper Marlboro. Upper Marlboro is my personal preferance of the two. I totally agree with TnTrouble's take on Clinton - true, the 'sniper' didn't live there though, only the mommy of his kids. But so - that's over! He did 'stalk' her during the sniper-period, he would sit outside of/near her home, in the car. That wasn't known until after he was arrested. I had been living in Clinton and (still) working in Rockville at the time - so glad that's over. Remember sitting in traffic tie-ups, having your vehicle inspected out of the blue, and hiding while pumping gas into your car? Ugh!

TnTrouble - I know what you mean about once-upon-a-time being able to ride horses around Clinton! I used to ride on Piscataway Road and through Cosca Park and vacinity - no way no how anymore!

Old 02-05-2007, 01:39 PM

9 posts, read 39,512 times
I grew up in Prince Georges county, some in Clinton but mostly in Fort Washington. Both areas are excellent in regard of being extremely close to DC and less expensive than Arlington or other NoVA areas.

Schools- I went to Friendly High School and although I was in the honors classes, I was not at all prepared for college and think the school system could use a lot of improvement.

Crime- My parents house has been broken into once and they have had a car stolen twice. Both times the police really didn't seem to give that much attention to trying to find the culprits because they were very busy with other crimes.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:44 AM

135 posts, read 604,247 times
Default Coming Back to PG County

If you do come back don't be suprised the first time you go to a 7-11 and you have to walk thru 100 illegal aliens to get in and out of the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland