Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 06:38 AM

39 posts, read 54,672 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

My mother is looking to move to the Crofton/Gambrills area? She is looking to buy. My grandmother will be living with her. It will be just them two. During her search, she is noticing that a lot of people are selling their homes. Some owners are even knocking off the price well under the going market price of other homes in the area; especially homes in the Crofton Valley subdivision and around the Waugh Chapel shopping Center in general.

This concerns her because it seems like the owners of the houses are looking to get out of the area. Crofton and Gambrills seem to be nice areas, but she would like to know about the crime there? There is an article from 2011 titled "Is Crofton Becoming A Crime Mecca Of Anne Arundel County?" that is very concerning. I know crime can happen anywhere, but it seems like things have or might be changing in that area for the worse. Thank you so much for reading. I would really appreciate any insight and/info that I can relay back to my mom.

Here is a link to the article:
https://www.eyeonannapolis.net/2011/...rundel-county/

A couple of highlights from the article are:

-The community is still reeling from the fatal beating of Christopher Jones as he rode his bicycle home in May 2009.

-March 17 2011 saw a home invasion where an armed suspect broke in and robbed a sleeping woman.

-A party got out of hand in June 2011 and ended up with a shooting and one man in critical condition in shock-trauma.

In an thread from 2010 about "Crofton (safe neighborhoods) (Bowie: apartment, crime, townhome)", this was someone had to say about crime in Crofton:

Since I moved away, relentless overdevelopment has caused very serious traffic problems out there, particularly on Rt 3. There are a few cheap apartment and townhome complexes that have become ghetto (for the area), and unfortunately they've become home to irresponsible minority communities that are seen (fairly or unfairly) to be responsible for the noticeable increase in crime and youth delinquency. Again, I say this with first-hand knowledge, as I also lived for a while in one of those complexes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 06:43 AM

58 posts, read 45,157 times
I lived in Odenton (actually, directly across from Ft. Meade) back in 2013-2014 and it was always to my understanding that Crofton area was nice in comparison. That isn't to say that it is or was crime free but it certainly was regarded as a nice area.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:20 AM

712 posts, read 1,092,636 times
Based on my own personal opinion of being in Crofton/Gambrills a lot, I would say most of the homes that your mother is seeing for sale near Waugh Chapel is due to the increase in traffic and housing on and around Route 3. Crofton is no longer just a small, sleepy bedroom community. They are adding housing and businesses along Route 3 at a pretty quick pace and those who were once attracted to Crofton and bought into it due to its ruralness are now fleeing to other parts of AA county that aren't being overdeveloped. The same thing is happening in Bowie. And with the increase of housing, retail, and restaurants, there will most likely be an increase in crime but I don't think crime is that bad to the point where people should be scared to live in/walk around Crofton, especially the historic gated area.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:14 PM

39 posts, read 54,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reklaw86 View Post
I lived in Odenton (actually, directly across from Ft. Meade) back in 2013-2014 and it was always to my understanding that Crofton area was nice in comparison. That isn't to say that it is or was crime free but it certainly was regarded as a nice area.
Thanks for the reply. I always heard it was nice. I know there is no place that is crime free, but just hoping things haven't got out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
Based on my own personal opinion of being in Crofton/Gambrills a lot, I would say most of the homes that your mother is seeing for sale near Waugh Chapel is due to the increase in traffic and housing on and around Route 3. Crofton is no longer just a small, sleepy bedroom community. They are adding housing and businesses along Route 3 at a pretty quick pace and those who were once attracted to Crofton and bought into it due to its ruralness are now fleeing to other parts of AA county that aren't being overdeveloped. The same thing is happening in Bowie. And with the increase of housing, retail, and restaurants, there will most likely be an increase in crime but I don't think crime is that bad to the point where people should be scared to live in/walk around Crofton, especially the historic gated area.
Thank you for your reply. The area does seem like it is getting a little busy. A little crime is understandable; especially with overdevelopment as long things don't get too crazy.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:19 AM

34 posts, read 32,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post

Unfortunately, almost no places in Anne Arundel County are free from over-development anymore. It's happening in Arnold and Severna Park as well. I also hear it's happening in Pasadena, too. At this point the only places in AACo that still remain quiet are Davidsonville, Crownsville, parts of Edgewater, and Harwood.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:57 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Crofton is certainly not dangerous.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:49 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
You don't need to concern yourself with crime in Crofton. It's an incredibly safe area.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:00 AM

59 posts, read 44,620 times
I’ve lived on Route 3 for 12 years and it’s pretty safe. Yes it’s congested but so is most of Maryland. There are pockets of Odenton and Gambrills that are pretty quiet and crime is relatively low. Piney Orchard and Waugh Chapel are pretty nice areas. Two Rivers in Southern Odenton is still developing and nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland