Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:27 AM

4 posts, read 11,992 times

Advertisements

Greetings.

I was passed the address to this forum from a US work colleague and looking through some of the questions and responses this seems a good place to get some advice on the best places to live in the Maryland area.

We are looking to relocate this July and my work will be based in Gaithersburg but our priority is to make sure that out 2 boys, aged 7 and 5 get into a decent school and have plenty of room to run around when they are at home. Chances are that the company will only provide one car so we either have to live close to work or close to school, I am all for the latter.

Ideally we would be after a House/Condo and would need to have it fully furnished as we will not be shipping all our worldly goods over, just the basics like clothes and some toys for the boys, as this will only be for 12 months.

I would appreciate any recommendations suitable for young families.

Charlie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 06:33 AM

15,409 posts, read 25,725,485 times
Schools being important, I would recommend you look at North Potomac, or even Potomac. Gaithersburg schools would generally not be reommended, although my kids go to a good elementary school that is within the city limits. The Kentlands, which are in Gaithersburg, might also be a good place to consider living in.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the information.
Work colleagues have mentioned Lake Seneca, Germantown and Montgomery Village does anyone else have any thoughts.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:55 AM

Those sound good too, but if you look back on this forum you will see a lot of negatives about portions of Montgomery Village.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:10 PM

629 posts, read 944,529 times
I live in Montgomery Village. There are 3 or 4 public elementary schools that serve the area. Schools will bus the children in if they live more than a mile or so away.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:42 PM

40 posts, read 266,537 times
From what I have heard, the best schools in Gaithersburg are part of the Wootton high school cluster. The Rio/Washingtonian Center area of Gaithersburg is nice and has good access to shopping and feeds into Wootton. Kentlands feeds into Quince Orchard high school cluster, which is supposedly ok but not as good as the "Wootton schools". If you're willing to live on the border of Rockville/Gaithersburg, you might consider the Richard Montgomery high school cluster of schools (supposedly second to the Wootton schools but better than Quince Orchard schools).

I would second what another poster said about the Gaithersburg high school cluster, that it is not considered a reccommended school cluster.

If good metro access would alleviate the car problem, you might consider one of the planned communities close to Shady Grove metro station.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:55 AM

Thanks again for all the advice.

One thing I should have mentioned before is our 7 year old was born with a blocked ear canal and has some learning difficulties. He has a certificate in the UK which means that he gets additional teaching support for 15 hours per week. This basically equates to having a teacher's assistant sit with him around 3 hours per day to make sure he is listening and understands what the teacher is asking him to do, as well as helping develop his communication skills. He is keen to learn and well behaved but needs someone to keep his attention focussed from time to time.

Is there such a thing as teacher assistants in the U.S?

Old 05-01-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieabbottuk View Post
Thanks again for all the advice.

One thing I should have mentioned before is our 7 year old was born with a blocked ear canal and has some learning difficulties. He has a certificate in the UK which means that he gets additional teaching support for 15 hours per week. This basically equates to having a teacher's assistant sit with him around 3 hours per day to make sure he is listening and understands what the teacher is asking him to do, as well as helping develop his communication skills. He is keen to learn and well behaved but needs someone to keep his attention focussed from time to time.

Is there such a thing as teacher assistants in the U.S?
Montgomery County Schools are good schools, and I have heard good things about special education needs, but have no experience with them. That said, I do know some things since I am Hard of hearing. The school will sit down with you and make an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) which will be the time to address things like that. Once it is made, then that is what they follow as their guide to his education.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:25 AM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,409,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieabbottuk View Post
Greetings.

I was passed the address to this forum from a US work colleague and looking through some of the questions and responses this seems a good place to get some advice on the best places to live in the Maryland area.

We are looking to relocate this July and my work will be based in Gaithersburg but our priority is to make sure that out 2 boys, aged 7 and 5 get into a decent school and have plenty of room to run around when they are at home. Chances are that the company will only provide one car so we either have to live close to work or close to school, I am all for the latter.

Ideally we would be after a House/Condo and would need to have it fully furnished as we will not be shipping all our worldly goods over, just the basics like clothes and some toys for the boys, as this will only be for 12 months.

I would appreciate any recommendations suitable for young families.

Charlie.

charlieabbottuk,

I would really do your homework on this one. I'm assuming you have a realtor or your company is helping you somewhat find housing that suits your. If not I'd locate a good realtor that handles leasing and talk to them. I also understand that Olney, Maryland which is very close to Gaithersburg is a very nice community still. It's I've heard #17th place to live in the US according to Money magazine or Forbe's..don't remember. The schools are also suppose to be good as well.

My wife and I are re-locating to Bethesda Maryland sometime in August because wife is Active duty Navy. We are looking at the Olney area as well.

As far as special needs for you 7year old son, I'd really do some checking with the Montgomery County school system Reps. to see how they can help you. The schools systems here are not run the same like you home country of England.

I hope this helps some and WELCOME TO AMERICA.

Bunky

Old 05-30-2008, 01:43 PM

Thanks for all the assistance and advice.

My family and I have just returned from a 5 night stay in Montgomery County where we were able to check out some schools and have a look at the type of housing we would be able to rent with our budget.

It looks like we will be concentrating our efforts on the Potomac area and would like to rent somewhere within the Beverly Farms or Dufief Elementary schools catchment area but I am happy to listen to alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland