Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2020, 12:51 PM

44 posts, read 46,633 times

Advertisements

I am an active participant on the Nextdoor neighborhood connection app/web platform. I've noticed within the past week that postings have been completely removed by the leads (moderators). These postings have been discussing issues of race in our neighborhoods. I clicked on an email notification about updated postings to the discussion, only to receive the message that the posting was gone. Turns out that posting was discussing instances of real or perceived racial insensitivities in our neighborhoods.

When I got online I asked others if they could see the post and if it were just me. Others said the posting was gone and they began asking why. Finally a lead/moderator indicated that the post had been removed because he (the lead) didn't like it's tone and substance. He (the lead) indicated that there were other places where people could have these kinds of discussions. Nextdoor was suppose to be focused on positive and uplifting discussions, not negative discussions. Included in the posting was a listing of what a black mother tells her son to do before he leaves the house and while he is out and about, referenceing this online posting: https://www.intheknow.com/2020/06/04...ung-black-man/

There was a pile on from members asking why the post was taken down and supporting the continued conversation about race as a teachable moment, especially now with the demonstrations going on for weeks. These discussions were actually quite positive and many members chimed in confirming their value.

The next day, I logon and the first thing I see is that my account has been disabled for violating "community guidelines." Accordingly, I'm not using my "real name." Yeah right? I use my first and middle initials and my last name. Then I started reading online about Nextdoor and the manner in which they have dealt with comments relative to race, Black Lives Matter and all that is going on with demonstrations. The leads seem to regularly take these discussion down. Members have been complaining. So in proximity to my inquiry about a missing post, support for continuing discussions and challenge to the lead, I'm told that my account is disabled. I'm not using my "real name", which is the same name I have used on Nextdoor for 5 years. Has this happened to anyone else? Glad Nextdoor is being exposed for what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 02:44 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBornAndRaised View Post
I am an active participant on the Nextdoor neighborhood connection app/web platform. I've noticed within the past week that postings have been completely removed by the leads (moderators). These postings have been discussing issues of race in our neighborhoods. I clicked on an email notification about updated postings to the discussion, only to receive the message that the posting was gone. Turns out that posting was discussing instances of real or perceived racial insensitivities in our neighborhoods.

When I got online I asked others if they could see the post and if it were just me. Others said the posting was gone and they began asking why. Finally a lead/moderator indicated that the post had been removed because he (the lead) didn't like it's tone and substance. He (the lead) indicated that there were other places where people could have these kinds of discussions. Nextdoor was suppose to be focused on positive and uplifting discussions, not negative discussions. Included in the posting was a listing of what a black mother tells her son to do before he leaves the house and while he is out and about, referenceing this online posting: https://www.intheknow.com/2020/06/04...ung-black-man/

There was a pile on from members asking why the post was taken down and supporting the continued conversation about race as a teachable moment, especially now with the demonstrations going on for weeks. These discussions were actually quite positive and many members chimed in confirming their value.

The next day, I logon and the first thing I see is that my account has been disabled for violating "community guidelines." Accordingly, I'm not using my "real name." Yeah right? I use my first and middle initials and my last name. Then I started reading online about Nextdoor and the manner in which they have dealt with comments relative to race, Black Lives Matter and all that is going on with demonstrations. The leads seem to regularly take these discussion down. Members have been complaining. So in proximity to my inquiry about a missing post, support for continuing discussions and challenge to the lead, I'm told that my account is disabled. I'm not using my "real name", which is the same name I have used on Nextdoor for 5 years. Has this happened to anyone else? Glad Nextdoor is being exposed for what it is.
Unfortunately, Nextdoor is privately owned and has been criticized for racial profiling. Therefore, they may be a tad sensitive to racial discussions.

You may get better mileage by attending your next neighborhood civic association meeting and bringing up a forum for racial discussion there. You may not get very far with mods at a privately hosted social media site.

If you are into IT and like to tinker, hosting your own forum or social media site is fairly easy these days. Of course you'd have to advertise and let people in your neighborhood that it exists. Then you can be the mod (God) for the site. :-)

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 06-16-2020 at 02:57 PM..

Old 06-17-2020, 05:35 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBornAndRaised View Post

It's their right ,I don't blame them.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:30 PM

16 posts, read 16,770 times
That's on Nextdoor no matter where you live. People can't take the truth and are too sensitive so they always report you for keeping it too real! Moderators are very sensitive too. I think Nextdoor is for people that can't handle facebook. lol I've been kicked off multiple times but always get back on.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:42 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
I would suggest another venue for you

Old 11-06-2020, 06:46 AM

9,154 posts, read 6,202,297 times
I always consider NextDoor the ideal venue for "where's my cat" and can you recommend a plumber. A friend found a new house on that platform. Perfect. I'm not "too sensitive" but that not what I use Nextdoor for. Especially these days when vitriolic diatribes have replaced rational discussions.

I don't want philosophical discussions and hard hitting questions on that platform. That's why CD exists.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:59 AM

58 posts, read 45,252 times
I don't know, seems like they are getting into conversations lately that tread on the color divide. Some complaining about recent crime and who is responsible etc. and some snapping back. The argument is along the pathetically predictable "lines" -- it was pretty obvious when the main actors in the exchange had profile pics, those complaining were predominantly white, those defensive were predominantly black.

Real good conversation though, kinda like that one you see on timeline documentaries from like 1968. We are really getting somewhere!

Old 11-18-2020, 03:53 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
I see the newbe is going through all the old threads.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:49 AM

47 posts, read 56,866 times
OP, maybe Parler is more your speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland