Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 03:01 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
If you're near 301 in Bowie. You can get to Baltimore in under 30 minutes. It's a pretty straight shot.
Best I can tell, you're agreeing with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 10:07 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Washington View Post
Was having a discussion with a friend the other day about Bowie. He seems to think Bowie is in its own world culture wise and has a mix of other parts of the DMV and Maryland. I.E it's a different from the rest of PG and has elements of Annapolis and AAC mixed in.
1at you have to describe what you mean by culture.

Considering Annapolis is a waterfront town and Bowie has ZERO,.....!

Old 09-06-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeofbelair View Post
Bowie is definitely on the edge. Annapolis is closer and easier to drive to than DC. DC is slightly closer/more convenient than Baltimore, but just barely. Of note, the Washington Post has little news from Bowie. Ditto for Baltimore Sun. Capital Gazette has a "Bowie" section in its local news. Throw up an antenna, and DC stations come about as well as Baltimore. Want NPR? WYPR and WAMU are about the same strength. Your natural gas comes from Washington Gas, but your electricity is from Baltimore Gas & Electric.

The closest large shopping centers outside of the city are in Parole (~10-15 minutes) and Waugh Chapel. The strip of businesses and restaurants is more or less contiguous from Bowie Town Center to Waugh Chapel. Social groups and clubs (Bowie-Crofton Camera Club, Bowie-Crofton Garden Club, churches attendance, bowling leagues, youth sports, etc. seem to straddle the river. To add to this, Bowie values its autonomy in many regards from the county: The city runs its own police department, water, sewers, waste management, park/trail system, snow removal, senior and youth services, leaf removal, street maintenance, etc.

Now... culturally, I suspect there's a bit of a racial difference in opinion here. Bowie had some outflow to the Crofton area (mostly white), and inflow from DC and closer in PGC (mostly black). For white residents, the social ties to nearby Anne Arundel communities will seem obvious, while black residents will likely feel strong cultural ties to family and friends in Lake Arbor, Kettering, Mitchellville, etc. So, whether Bowie feels more like its naturally linked to Crofton, Gambrils, Davidsonville, Parole, etc. or Glenn Dale, Kettering, Lake Arbor, Greenbelt, etc. Neither is wrong, just a different frame of reference.

(Also worth noting that people will refer to their area as "Bowie" even if they live well outside of the city limits. Parts of Lake Arbor, for instance, have Bowie ZIP codes. The 20720 and 20721 area codes include small parts of the city at their eastern edges, but - in particular 20721- extend well inward, almost to the beltway)
" Annapolis is closer and easier to drive to than DC.
Annapolis is CLOSER to D.C then Bowie! news to me.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:43 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
1at you have to describe what you mean by culture.

Considering Annapolis is a waterfront town and Bowie has ZERO,.....!
Bowie has Allen Pond. A man made small lake yes, but they do have a lot of people fishing. I'd say Bowie is a transitional area between the rest of PG county and place like Crofton and Odenton.

Old 09-12-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Bowie has Allen Pond. A man made small lake yes, but they do have a lot of people fishing. I'd say Bowie is a transitional area between the rest of PG county and place like Crofton and Odenton.
So, you want to compare the Chesapeake Bay with a pond?

Man, am I glad I moved out of MD!

Old 09-18-2020, 04:15 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
If you're near 301 in Bowie. You can get to Baltimore in under 30 minutes. It's a pretty straight shot.
Yea you can easily get from Baltimore to Bowie in 30 minutes. I used to go to therapy in Bowie and did it routinely.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:20 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Old timers? I'm 26 and refuse to call anything west of 193 Bowie.
I feel that way about Hunt Valley. It's Cockeysville, and much of west of York Road is Texas.........

Sorry for the off topic.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland