Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 09:34 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that the news anchors on channel 4 have been reporting local sports news this month. IIRC, channel 4 had 3 sports anchors (Dave Johnson, Cary Chow and Moises Linares). They all can't be sick or on vacation. If they were, channel 4 would usually bring in a sports reporter from the NBC Sports Washington cable channel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 04:32 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
The news anchors have been doing the sports since the pandemic started. Of course early on there weren't sports. I noticed the regular sports reporters weren't on then. What are the other stations doing?

Old 10-27-2020, 10:10 AM

Actually Dave Johnson has multiple sclerosis and may have taken time off dealing with his health issue. But the other two have been on air at NBC4 until the start of this month. At least one other local station has sports anchors. At ABC7, Olivia Garvey recently replaced Erin Hawksworth. Not sure about Fox5 or WUSA9. Don't watch those stations. One thing for sure, the local sports anchor gig is not what it used to be. No more big name personalities like George Michael, Tim Brant, Steve Buckhantz, etc.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:42 AM

724 posts, read 402,958 times
I caught this headline just browsing the forums, but I live in Metro Detroit and have also noticed that the sports segments on local news has been slowly dying off since the pandemic. One of the issues is that given that so little is going on in the sports world, they only have a small "final segment" to present sports. Sports is usually always the shorter final segment, but during the pandemic, that time has gotten even shorter and it doesn't make sense to have a dedicated sports anchor squeeze in that information. I've also noticed that the local sports anchors are definitely not "full time" (everyday) like they used to be. They show up on some days and not others.

Many sports anchors all over the country have been laid off or furloughed. The pandemic has shined a light on what is "essential" and what isn't. Now I love sports (and sports personalities), but I can't say I blame these executives for slicing salary by reducing their time and pay. I honestly get any scores I want to see from my app/computer, and while I really like the personalities of the new sports anchors, I'm not sure how valuable they are from a revenue perspective. It's probably cheaper for the companies to just give their 5 min segments to the news anchors who they are already paying.

The pandemic has affected so many things in our everyday lives......

Old 10-27-2020, 07:05 PM

We had baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer this past summer and are now transitioning to football and college sports. There's also sports gossip, which in DC centers around the Washington Football Team. The programing is there. Yet at least one of the local news stations has seemed to de-emphasize sports.

I'm not really sure how local news stations earn their income. If its advertising, I'd bet there are more sports fans out there than, lets say, "crime" fans. And I don't think anyone would notice if each news station "lost" one crime beat reporter instead of a sports reporter.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:09 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Actually Dave Johnson has multiple sclerosis and may have taken time off dealing with his health issue. But the other two have been on air at NBC4 until the start of this month. At least one other local station has sports anchors. At ABC7, Olivia Garvey recently replaced Erin Hawksworth. Not sure about Fox5 or WUSA9. Don't watch those stations. One thing for sure, the local sports anchor gig is not what it used to be. No more big name personalities like George Michael, Tim Brant, Steve Buckhantz, etc.
Dave Johnson is still working , he is on the radio everyday for WTOP in DC.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:42 AM

724 posts, read 402,958 times
Quote:
We had baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer this past summer and are now transitioning to football and college sports. There's also sports gossip, which in DC centers around the Washington Football Team. The programing is there. Yet at least one of the local news stations has seemed to de-emphasize sports.

I'm not really sure how local news stations earn their income. If its advertising, I'd bet there are more sports fans out there than, lets say, "crime" fans. And I don't think anyone would notice if each news station "lost" one crime beat reporter instead of a sports reporter.
There was overall very low fan interest in COVID-shortened seasons. They are all seasons with an asterisk. It's not that there wasn't news; it's that there was a stretch of time when there were no sports going on (or things were really slow) and many stations probably realized that sports anchors, while nice, are not necessarily "essential." "Sports gossip" is nice, but doesn't justify all the salary. Many people get sports news online or podcasts.

Also, from what I have seen; "crime" is now mixed into general news. There are no "crime" fans, but all news stations report crime as part of the general news.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Dave Johnson is still working , he is on the radio everyday for WTOP in DC.
Good to hear he's still out and about.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
There was overall very low fan interest in COVID-shortened seasons. They are all seasons with an asterisk. It's not that there wasn't news; it's that there was a stretch of time when there were no sports going on (or things were really slow) and many stations probably realized that sports anchors, while nice, are not necessarily "essential." "Sports gossip" is nice, but doesn't justify all the salary. Many people get sports news online or podcasts.

Also, from what I have seen; "crime" is now mixed into general news. There are no "crime" fans, but all news stations report crime as part of the general news.
It's kind of crazy, but the local news here in the DMV, starts with a crime story. And then it goes on to report crimes occurring in other parts of the country, as if it in any way affects me. I think it's called crime creep. They do this despite national stats showing most categories of crime have fallen over the past decade. This kind of sensationalism has crept over into weather. Between the two, sports news has become a 1-minute segment. There's very little local news. Local news has become unwatchable.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:47 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
I remember never missing the Sports Machine w/ George Michael.

That said - I've not watched local sports news in... I don't know how long. With multiple ESPN networks, sports specific networks, and every college conference with their own networks, it's no surprise you no longer have household names in the local scene. Careerwise, you're likely eyeing the national stage like those mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland