Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:38 PM

8 posts, read 68,422 times

Advertisements

I currently live in New York City and my parents and I are moving to MD. We've heard a lot of bad things so far about Prince George's County. Is it that bad? Also, we've been focusing on Bowie. Is it a safe area/is the crime rate high? My aunt told my mom to send me to Montgomery County for high school. I've been interested in Montgomery Blair High. Is it a good school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 06:29 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Bowie is as about dangerous as Manhattan during the day...your getting horrible advice. Pockets of PG county can be "tough" but overall it's a good area to live...Blair is a solid h.s. but it's far way from where your living....

Old 07-25-2010, 06:39 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Bowie's pretty nice. I've got a friend who lives near there, I think technically in either Mitchellville or Woodmore. The houses there look like what you'd find in Bethesda (very affluent and safe suburb) and I've never felt unsafe being around there.

As for blair, it's a pretty fine school but I don't think you'll be able to go there if you'll be living in Bowie. I could be totally wrong though, I don't know much about the public school systems. If you don't go to Blair, make sure you go somewhere like Bowie HS. A lot of the public high schools in PG County are crappy.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:16 PM

331 posts, read 903,573 times
If your from East New York, BK as stated in location, Bowie will be a picnic for you. Matter of fact most of Prince George's county will. Most of the bad areas are inside the beltway and the areas the border Northeast and Southeast D.C. Blair HS is kinda far Bowie so you may wanna look at Bowie HS or Eleanor Roosevelt HS in Greenbelt. Both are among the best in PG county can can give most Montgomery County high schools a run for their money.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 AM

845 posts, read 2,829,562 times
You can get opinions as well as statistics on both schools here: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community . Because the 2 schools are funded by different Counties' tax dollars, non-residents would have to apply for special permission to attend an out-of-County school, and pay a tuition. From my hearsay on both schools, I don't think either school is markedly better than the other. Both of hem are very racially diverse, but in different ways. Bowie is one of the best cities in Prince Geo. County.

Last edited by slowlane; 07-28-2010 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: I re-wrote in a separate post

Old 07-28-2010, 06:46 AM

Bowie is one of the best cities to live in Prince Georges County. Bowie, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bowie and Blair High Schools are both unusually large. They are both very racially diverse, but in different ways. Because they are funded by different Counties' tax dollars, any non-resident student would have to apply for permission to attend, and then pay a tuition. From my hearsay, I don't think either school is markedly better than the other. Click on these FOUR separate links, for plenty of information:
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Montgomery Blair High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowie_High_School_(Maryland)
Bowie, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2010, 06:57 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I take it from the original post that:
- Bowie in PG County is only one possibility of where to move to -- not the definite place.
- A Blair HS is only on possibility of a school you might attend.

Bowie and the high school your aunt mentioned are in two different counties.
You cant live in one county and go to school in another.

Just like you couldn't live in NYC and go to school in Nassau County or West Chester County,

Old 07-28-2010, 07:04 AM

Eleanor Roosevelt H.S. is an outstanding "magnet" high school with high standards, located in Greenbelt, MD which is not far from Bowie. You might also want to look into applying to Eleanor Roosevelt, if you live in Bowie. As I mentioned, Bowie overall is one of the best cities in P.G. County. Quite honestly, Bowie is also one city where "white" people would feel socially comfortable, in marked contrast to other parts of Prince Georges County which have overwhelmingly "minority" populations.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:50 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
Quite honestly, Bowie is also one city where "white" people would feel socially comfortable, in marked contrast to other parts of Prince Georges County which have overwhelmingly "minority" populations.

I have to admit this comment makes me uncomfortable whenever I read it. It's like a little warning: "yoo-hoo, some white people are here! Heave a sigh of relief! And avoid those overwhelming black areas!"

Plus, I didn't recall the OP providing her race. And I don't think Bowie is overwhelmingly white anymore. But I am sure someone will post some stats to prove or disprove this.

All that being said, I have found Bowie to be an overall really safe, really nice place. I've heard mixed things about Bowie High School, but the good news has outweighed the not-so-good.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 PM

321 posts, read 1,124,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
And I don't think Bowie is overwhelmingly white anymore. But I am sure someone will post some stats to prove or disprove this.
Bowie is almost evenly split between black and white. The numbers will probably be a little different when the next Census numbers come out, but as of 2008, Bowie was 47.1% white and 44.8% black
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland