Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2020, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,000 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone I am debating about buying in Hyattsville, MD, and commuting to Reston, VA. The home prices are completely different in Hyattsville for the same house by the same builder than in Reston. It's almost over a 300k difference. It is within walking distance to the metro station I believe a 2 min walk. I'd obviously prefer to drive but I wanted some feedback on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 10:28 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I don't think anyone can yet predict what traffic or transit will be like post-Covid. A lot will depend on how many people continue to work at home and are not called back to in person by their agencies or non-governmental employers or even get laid off permanently (which I really expect to happen).

Old 12-04-2020, 11:22 AM

340 posts, read 376,383 times
You are likely going up University Blvd/New Hampshire up to the Beltway, around the Beltway to 267 up to Reston? I used to like shopping at Tyson's when I lived in VA, I rarely go now bc it's too far for me. The beltway isn't smooth cruising near 270 during rush hour. I can't give you an exact time...but I'd expect at least hour of commute each way.

I do love living in the Hyattsville area though for what it's worth.

Old 12-04-2020, 12:30 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
That's sounds like an awful commute.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:07 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
I wouldn't.....

Old 12-04-2020, 08:06 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
Good advice above. Metro would likely be less stressful.
The only alternative route advice I can offer, and I'm not sure it's any better, quicker, less stressful etc. would be to work your way to Bethesda via 410, and other roads, then 190 River Rd to the Beltway. You'd probably need to drive the 410 portion a couple of times to figure out where the best shortcuts are. Study the map closely. I've done 650 to 355 inside the Beltway at 8.am in about 30 minutes several times.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:36 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
My office is in Chantilly. I live in Adelphi. I can usually make it to work in about an hour if I leave at 7:30am. Reston is not as far as Chantilly. So, you could make it in about 40 minutes. I also used to work in Ashburn, again, past Reston.

Driving back is always worse. Expect an hour plus average on the way back. One great thing is that there is a Metro stop in Reston. On the other hand, you'd have to go through DC on the metro to get to the Silver line.

If your job is within walking distance to the Reston metro stop, I'd try to commute via metro first. At least you get a chance to "sleep", read, or whatever on public transit.

Metro can be as expensive as driving depending on whether or not you take the Dulles Toll Road to Reston. Your job may subsidize public transit. YMMV depending on which mode you choose.

Add 10 minutes to all of my times because Adelphi is closer to the Betlway than Hyattsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland