Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 07:56 PM

116 posts, read 104,943 times

Advertisements

If you live in Kettering, Ft. Washington, Mitchellville, etc...where do you dine in the area?

Preference for high end or slightly below(ex: Ruth's Chris, Houston's, etc...). Definitely not Applebee's, Ruby Tuesdays nor Chillis. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 06:35 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McDaniels Sr. View Post
If you live in Kettering, Ft. Washington, Mitchellville, etc...where do you dine in the area?

Preference for high end or slightly below(ex: Ruth's Chris, Houston's, etc...). Definitely not Applebee's, Ruby Tuesdays nor Chillis. Thanks
Here's a good list broken down by neighborhood and category...

Restaurants in Prince George's County

Old 08-28-2021, 01:53 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
Here's a list prepared by a local foodie group 15 years ago. Some are no longer open. No one paid to be on this list. Many are hole-in-the-wall types and are chosen for food quality rather than decor.
More bread, less circus.

Langley Park
Red Chillies*(Formerly Tiffin and Udupi Palace)*-*website*- Northern and Southern Indian which originally resulted from the merger of Tiffin and Udupi Palace
Taqueria El Mexicano*- (301) 434-4104*- Recommended by both Washingtonian, and also by a DonRockwell member who says the chile rellenos are wonderful, the mole looks great too
Pollo Wow!*- (301) 408-4707
Pupuseria y Taqueria La Miguelena (Review) - Intersection of University Blvd. E and Merrimac Dr.

College Park
Fishnet*-*website*-*@Eat_Fishnet*- A fantastic "seafood shack" with a semi-Turkish twist, owned by the great Ferhat Yalcin
251 North*-*website
The Original Ledo Restaurant*(Review) -*website
CB Chinese Grill*-*map
Northwest Chinese Food*-*website*(Sort of)
Unforgettable Flavors*-*website
Pho Thom*(301) 582-7530
Krazi Kabob*-*website
Marathon Deli*(301) 927-6717
Bagel Place*-*website
Jerk Pit*(301) 982-5375
Pita Plus*- 4427 Lehigh Rd. - Closed
Yami Yami*- 4511 College Ave. - Closed
China Cafe*(Review)*- 4370 Knox Rd. - Closed
Ratsie's Terrapin Eatery*- 7400 Baltimore Ave. - Closed

Beltsville
Yia-Yia's Kitchen*-*website*- A family-owned gyro house, very crowded, and very popular, I found the gyros to be over-salted and nothing special, but I'm in a minority
Pho 88*(301) 931-8128*- Along with Pho Hot in Annandale, a contender for the best Pho in the DC area
Da Rae Won*(301) 931-7878*- Come here for the*"jjajangmyeon" - Korean noodles in a wonderful, mild black bean sauce
Myong Dong (Oriental Noodle)*(301) 595-4173
Seoulia*(301) 595-3340
Little Deli and Cafe*(Formerly My Las Delicias Cafe)*-*Menupix
Swahili Village*-*website
Manila Mart*-*Facebook
Gah Rham*-*website*-*map
Cafe Rue*-*website
Gringada*-*Facebook
Dining in Beltsville and Laurel

Hyattsville
Vigilante Coffee Roasters*-*website*-*@VigilanteCoffee*-*An important independent coffee roaster, whose beans are available at numerous local retailers.
Chez Dior*-*website
Rebecca Ethiopian*(301) 429-1030
Shagga Coffee & Restaurant*-*website
Franklin's*(301) 927-2740
Hank's Tavern & Eats*-*website
Old Dominion Brewhouse*-*website
Uptown Bakers*-*website
Dining in Hyattsville
Greenbelt
Hunan Treasure*(301) 982-2012
Beijing of Greenbelt*(301) 345-3996
Siri's Chef's Secret*(Beltway Plaza Mall) - 6000 Greenbelt Rd. - Closed

New Carrollton
New Carrollton Cafe*(Amtrak Station)*(301) 459-3498

Lanham
Just Jerk*(Intersection of Routes 564 and 450)*- Authentic, carryout only Jamaican roadside stand

Landover
Gold Crust Baking Company*-*website
Dining near FedEx Field*-*Facebook*-*mapForestville
Cafe Rue*-*websiteMorningside
Jiffy Shoppes*-*website
Mount Rainier
Island Style Ice Cream*-*website*(Broken as of 11/29/14)
Glenarden
KBQ*(Review) - 9101 Woodmore Center Dr., #322 - Closed
Riverdale (Little Mexico)
Taqueria La Placita*(301) 207-4477*- Perhaps the best taqueria in Little Mexico, consider straying from the typical cuts of meat
El Tapatio*(301) 403-8882

Bowie
Jerry's Seafood*-*website*-*@Jerrysseafood
Rip's*Country Inn*-*website
Upper Marlboro
Caribbean Flava*(301) 574-2003
Suitland
Food For Life*-*website
Oxon Hill
Desserts by Gerard*(301) 839-2185*- A surprisingly good pastry shop, run by the former Pastry Chef at the Watergate, and in business for probably the last 25 years

Temple Hills
The Tender Rib*-*website

National Harbor*-*Map
Voltaggio Brothers Steak House*(MGM Hotel)*-*website*-*map
Fish*(MGM Hotel)*-*website*-*@fishbyjose*-*map
Old Hickory Steakhouse*(Gaylord Hotel)*-*website
Ginger*(MGM Hotel)*-*website
Bond 45*-*website
Java Coast (Review) -*website
McLoone's Pier House*-*website
Pienza Italian Market*-*website
Goodies Frozen Custard & Treats*-*website
Fiorella Pizzeria e Caffè*-*website
Sauciety*(Marriott Westin Hotel)*-*website*-*map
Dining at National Harbor*-*website
Ketchup*- 152 Waterfront St. - Closed
Harrington's Pub and Kitchen*- 177 Fleet St. - Closed

Laurel
Pasta Plus*-*website*-*This was *the* go-to restaurant in Prince George's County in the late 1980s, with great dishes including fresh pasta, recent reports say it's still good
Curry Leaf*-*website*-*On my very short list of restaurants to try in Laurel, Curry Leaf has gotten good reviews, uses only Halal meats, and specializes in South Indian cuisine
Kogi Underground*(Towne Center)
Mango's Grill*(301) 776-8834*
Olive On Main*-*Facebook
I Love Pho*-*website
Sapphire*-*website
Casey's Crab Company*-*website
Kabu*-*website
Toucan Taco*-*website
Laurel Tavern Doughnuts*(301) 362-7551
Bella*-*website
Pepperjack's*(301) 490-7998

Dining in Beltsville and Laurel
See also*Mission BBQ
Bay 'n Surf*- 14411 Baltimore Ave. - Closed
Pasta Nostra*- 7423 Van Dusen Rd. - Closed
Taqueria la Veracruzana*- 8730 Cherry Ln. #4 - Closed.

Curry Leaf above is now closed and the chef has moved across the street to Amber Spice in the Marlow SC.

Old 08-28-2021, 01:55 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times

Old 08-29-2021, 12:01 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Washington DC.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:16 AM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Washington DC.
Annapolis.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:56 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McDaniels Sr. View Post

No Ruth Chris' or Houston's in PG, but you could try Copper Canyon, or maybe a Jaspers if you're looking in the central part of the county. Otherwise National Harbor as expected has plenty, there's places North in the county around Hyattsville area, but I do go into Annapolis or Alexandria often as well.

Last edited by the resident09; 08-30-2021 at 12:32 PM..

Old 08-30-2021, 05:42 PM

340 posts, read 376,383 times
Burton's in Riverdale Park is very close to fine dining and the food is good.

Old Maryland Grill in College Park may reopen after the pandemic. It is fine dining, but it's "temporarily closed." Unfortunately, the food wasn't great imo. I'll give it another chance sometime, since they are in the flagship hotel of the university, I expect that it will reopen eventually.

Old 08-30-2021, 06:30 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
I thought Houston's went kaput several years ago. There used to be one in Rockville and Bethesda.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:39 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
Burton's in Riverdale Park is very close to fine dining and the food is good.

Old Maryland Grill in College Park may reopen after the pandemic. It is fine dining, but it's "temporarily closed." Unfortunately, the food wasn't great imo. I'll give it another chance sometime, since they are in the flagship hotel of the university, I expect that it will reopen eventually.
I agree. Burton's, unfortunately, is as close to fine dining as we can get up the northern part of the county. OMG was promising. But it's hard to get a white table establishment near a college campus. The focus is too much on cheap eats for students.

I'm trying to think of a suburban campus that has more than just pizza joints, Asian food, and fast food.

Kapnos Taverna was good. But just bad fortunes with the owner. Pennyroyal Station is nice.

I think OMG needed to be a recognizable chain. Something like Capital Grille or Ruths Chris. New restaurants have a steep hill to climb when they start. And OMG was the FIRST upscale restaurant to open in a college town not quite on the upswing like College Park.

We'll see what happens near the Metro and at the Southern Campus project.

We need more non-student residents with the extra money to splurge on a $50 steak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland