Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 11:22 PM

35 posts, read 28,786 times

Advertisements

Sorry you are going through this. People can just think of themselves and not other people. I remember stating the night at an ex friends house while her girlfriend’s daughter and boyfriend(18 years old) blasted music full blast from Midnight to 4 in the morning in an Apartment complex.

Maybe asking politely if they can turn down the music. Or calling the cops which sometimes doesn’t do much but worth a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 04:43 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Some kinds of music were meant to be played loud. Some people think it’s cool to play it loud and disturb others. I don’t know why they think that.

Old 12-11-2021, 02:43 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
45 decibels is literally the sound of "average home noise" on various dB charts. My dishwasher is rated 48 dB and I have to pause and listen to tell that it's actually running. That we're talking about daytime, weekend hours makes this even less offensive, but if you have a problem then actually speaking to your neighbor makes a whole lot more sense than contacting the cops 5 times.

Last edited by bufflove; 12-11-2021 at 02:58 PM..

Old 12-11-2021, 03:30 PM

204 posts, read 128,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBornAndRaised View Post
I'm trying to understand behavior and maybe get suggestions on a how to approach the problem. I live in a neighborhood of single family homes. I have neighbors who "entertain" outside in their yard. This past weekend, one resident blasted music in the backyard for 8 hours straight. It registered 45dB inside my house with my windows closed for the entire time. There was nowhere in my house I could go to escape the music. I have another neighbor who entertains in the front yard and on the front driveway, well into the early morning hours. Their music is loud as well. So far these 2 have not entertained at the same time. Do people really not give a darn that their neighbors for at least a block or 2 away can hear their music all day? Are people this selfish and uncaring about others? I do not understand this behavior at all.

Sadly, yes. Some people just don't care about others. I feel for you because this type of situation can really impact your ability to enjoy your home and quality of life.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:17 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
I'm getting ready to put my house up for sale at the first of the year, not exclusively due to that, but it was one of the deciding factors.

My next door neighbor blasts awful rap music all weekend long while he works on whatever it is he is working on, out in his yard, by himself.

He must be on the government dole or something because neither he nor his wife, who appear to be no more than 40, ever seem to leave the house during the week for a job.

I used to enjoy the solace of my yard on Sunday afternoons, really the only free time I have away from work, but now if I want to go out there I am the one that must don headphones.

I am hoping so much that whoever buys my house is equally discourteous.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:32 PM

464 posts, read 311,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
45 decibels is literally the sound of "average home noise" on various dB charts. My dishwasher is rated 48 dB and I have to pause and listen to tell that it's actually running. That we're talking about daytime, weekend hours makes this even less offensive, but if you have a problem then actually speaking to your neighbor makes a whole lot more sense than contacting the cops 5 times.
Except he said “45 db inside his own house”. That’s annoying.

And the dishwasher example isn’t a good one since more modern dishwashers are quiet.

If I’m inside my own home and I hear constant music from outside that’s annoying regardless how loud. Also, certain sound like the bass or some vocals can be worse

Old 12-12-2021, 09:08 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
Except he said “45 db inside his own house”. That’s annoying.

And the dishwasher example isn’t a good one since more modern dishwashers are quiet.

If I’m inside my own home and I hear constant music from outside that’s annoying regardless how loud. Also, certain sound like the bass or some vocals can be worse
Huh? Yes, modern dishwashers are quiet and are still (mostly) louder than 45 dB. That's the point. But by all means, if someone is playing music and it's bothersome then do something about it. Like, you know, pretend it's pre-internet time and actually speak with your voice to someone. Ranting on CD obviously doesn't solve anything.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:48 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
First thing that strikes me is that you know the decibel level ,....who keeps that stuff lying around? Two , is this done all the time? I have had family functions at my house and I know I bother others when it happens ,I try to look out for them but it is a small neighborhood it's hard .It's why when they have party's and such I try to be tolerant.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:17 PM

44 posts, read 46,051 times
I wanted to know the decibel level because it's louder than anything I hear inside my house with the windows closed. I have a smartphone with a decibel meter app. And, this noise inside my house is louder than my dishwasher. I cannot hear the kitchen dishwasher loud and clear when I'm in the basement. But, that's how loud this music is over many hours. There is nowhere in my house - with the windows shut tight - that I can go and not hear the music, which by the way is cranked up really loud over the sound of the banging, hammering and sawing. This starts at around 7 AM and can persist into the evening as late as 9PM. There's construction and music in the dark with bright (construction) lights and very loud music. This has not been an occasional annoyance. This is every weekend and during the week for the last 4 weeks while this construction is going on. It's reasonable to tolerate the loud music a few times but this is Saturday and Sunday every weekend as if the entire neighborhood is being entertained. And even when there is no construction this is loud music blasting over a large outdoor speaker. The last time that occurred it started at noon and stopped at 9PM. These folks act like they have no neighbors.

Old 12-14-2021, 05:44 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I'm getting ready to put my house up for sale at the first of the year, not exclusively due to that, but it was one of the deciding factors.

My next door neighbor blasts awful rap music all weekend long while he works on whatever it is he is working on, out in his yard, by himself.

He must be on the government dole or something because neither he nor his wife, who appear to be no more than 40, ever seem to leave the house during the week for a job.

I used to enjoy the solace of my yard on Sunday afternoons, really the only free time I have away from work, but now if I want to go out there I am the one that must don headphones.

I am hoping so much that whoever buys my house is equally discourteous.
1. Do you KNOW your neighbor? Not that they exist, but actually talk to them casually when you see them?
2. Just because they don't commute doesn't mean they are on the government dole. Some people work remote like I do and some could have worked hard enough to retire early. Some may be on disability. Stop assuming because you don't see them in a suit and tie and leaving early in the morning that they are on public assistance.
3. IF you have a relationship with your neighbor, offer some nice headphones for Christmas and as that they wear them outside when they work.

I know this is not the South where neighbors actually care to know each other and build relationships but we can't always suspect the worst of someone if we don't know them. He could have a hearing issue. I know when I visit my brother-in-law, the TV is always played loud as if he has hearing loss. He doesn't play it loud to specifically annoy his neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
View detailed profiles of: