Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 06:42 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,689,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
1. Do you KNOW your neighbor?

I know this is not the South where neighbors actually care to know each other and build relationships but we can't always suspect the worst of someone if we don't know them.
What the hell does that mean???

........"not the South" WTH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 07:42 AM

27,627 posts, read 28,723,867 times
Some people think everybody should like the same music they like.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:17 AM

7,084 posts, read 9,584,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
What the hell does that mean???

........"not the South" WTH?
You have never heard of sothern charm, slow, easy going, more friendly southern towns where neighbors are a little more involved with each other?

Of course there are exceptions. There always are. For example, my own neighborhood is very close and people speak and know each other. But they are older. It is an older neighborhood.

Growing up we never really knew or talked to our neighbors. It could also be the transitory nature of the DC region. People move here for jobs, careers, etc. then tend to move away in 5-10 years.

Of course this is my own opion.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:42 AM

20,165 posts, read 9,060,402 times
Best of luck moving to your new location, getting out of PG County is the right move. So many uncivilized people live there.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
You have never heard of sothern charm, slow, easy going, more friendly southern towns where neighbors are a little more involved with each other?

Of course there are exceptions. There always are. For example, my own neighborhood is very close and people speak and know each other. But they are older. It is an older neighborhood.

Growing up we never really knew or talked to our neighbors. It could also be the transitory nature of the DC region. People move here for jobs, careers, etc. then tend to move away in 5-10 years.

..........................then you need to express that it's your opinion only .

Old 12-15-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Best of luck moving to your new location, getting out of PG County is the right move. So many uncivilized people live there.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:03 PM

45,471 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:

That may be a lot of it. There was a time early in my political career that if you gave me a Town address I could describe the house and tell you who lived there. Haven't been able to do that for years. People cycle in and out here so fast the moving truck might as well just stay.

After the coastal flooding a couple months ago I was talking to a guy who said that in all the time he'd lived in the house (he claimed 18 years) he'd never seen it, said he'd been there for years.

I almost told him he was full of ****. For one, I'd gone to every house in Town three years ago and that house was empty then. Before that it was an empty lot and before that an unlivable house tied up for 20 years in an estate. For two, until the surge wall was completed four years ago that lot was flooded at every abnormal high tide.

One of my neighbors died a couple years ago, he's lived on the corner almost as long as we've been in this house. I didn't, in almost 30 years, ever learn his name. Partly that was because when he and his wife first bought the house he moved his teen age kids into it while he and his wife lived outside of town. Gave the kids somewhere to party unimpeded.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That may be a lot of it. There was a time early in my political career that if you gave me a Town address I could describe the house and tell you who lived there. Haven't been able to do that for years. People cycle in and out here so fast the moving truck might as well just stay.

After the coastal flooding a couple months ago I was talking to a guy who said that in all the time he'd lived in the house (he claimed 18 years) he'd never seen it, said he'd been there for years.

I almost told him he was full of ****. For one, I'd gone to every house in Town three years ago and that house was empty then. Before that it was an empty lot and before that an unlivable house tied up for 20 years in an estate. For two, until the surge wall was completed four years ago that lot was flooded at every abnormal high tide.

One of my neighbors died a couple years ago, he's lived on the corner almost as long as we've been in this house. I didn't, in almost 30 years, ever learn his name. Partly that was because when he and his wife first bought the house he moved his teen age kids into it while he and his wife lived outside of town. Gave the kids somewhere to party unimpeded.
We moved into or neighborhood in 85 (we built the house) we would have block parties .We knew everyone and yes since then many have moved only four originals as I call us left but we still know everyone (17 homes on the street) .Don't do the block party thing anymore because of age differences and such . Many like the herb now, myself and others can't stand it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
View detailed profiles of: