Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2021, 03:59 PM

45 posts, read 52,599 times

Advertisements

Hello folks...

I've lived in the DMV for about 5 years now, starting out renting in NoVA and then buying a house in MD. When I lived in VA, there seemed to be a REALLY intense local rivalry between the two states. Either it was a rant about "Maryland Drivers" (they're just as bad on the VA side), or a diatribe about how "I could NEVER live in Maryland."

I was surprised to move to MD (been here for most of the time) and find that this side... just doesn't really reciprocate. If anything, it's a bit of a shrug and "Yeah, Alexandria is nice" or "My cousin lives down in Fairfax." There's just not much sense of rivalry, just "Yeah, NOVA is there, on the other side of the river. It's a place that exists." The whole thing just seems really strange and one-sided:

VA: "Hi I live in Northern VA"
MD: "Cool, I've been there before."

MD: "Hi, I live in Maryland"
VA: "Ugh, the drivers! And the stupid flag! Your taxes are so high! VA is SO much nicer! Tysons is growing! We have longer metro lines! I could NEVER live there."

Of course, it's not everyone, and the people who have lived here longer seem less prone to it, but still, it's... odd.

What's the deal with it, from the perspective of folks who have lived here longer? Was it more mutually reciprocated at one time? Is it a lingering effect of Fairfax having been more rural and less developed than MoCo in the past, feeling judged by the other side?

(Posting this in the NOVA forum as well, just to get a balanced perspective)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 05:57 AM

8 posts, read 5,994 times
Yes, don't have anything to add really except that, as a MD resident, Greenbelt, specifically, for some 5 years now, I never knew there was a supposed rivalry. My experience with NoVa is as you described it, just a place that...well... exists. I know a couple of colleagues from work who live there, I know of a couple of people in my neighborhood who commute to Alexandria and thereabouts for work, they hate it (not bc of it being Va, just the commute), other than that, nothing really.

Interesting to know there is a perceived rivalry between the two areas.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:07 AM

123 posts, read 76,082 times
I don't know about Virginians, but I can confirm the Maryland side of your hypothesis.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:36 AM

211 posts, read 237,566 times
I’m a newcomer to the DC area, so I was only aware of the rivalry when my NoVa friends mentioned it, lol.

My general impression is that NoVa was very recently developed. The buildings along the Metro line in Arlington appeared to be relatively new. MD seems to have higher proportion of old money, with Chevy Chase area being well established, whereas NoVa consists of many recent transplants in the area with decent paying upper-middle class jobs. Because the upper-middle class are strivers and competitive in nature, they are more prone to rivalry mentality. Rivalry culture thus dominates NoVa, whereas old money and DC culture has greater influence in MD. Just a theory, lol.

In regards to drivers, I do see MD drivers being more aggressive generally.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:55 AM

4,596 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeofbelair View Post
MD: "Hi, I live in Maryland"
VA: "Ugh, the drivers! And the stupid flag! Your taxes are so high! VA is SO much nicer! Tysons is growing!

We have longer metro lines! I could NEVER live there."
"Stupid flag"??

The Maryland flag is about the coolest state flag of them all (the only possible rival is Arizona's).
Virginia's flag is... the state seal on a blue background... borrring.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:48 AM

23 posts, read 19,044 times
As someone who grew up in NoVA and moved to MD, I can confirm that a lot of development in VA is pretty new and there are a lot of transplants. My family transplanted from somewhere else back in the day. There are a lot of perceptions of Maryland but honestly, I barely knew anything about Montgomery County when I was there. It was just a place I heard about on the radio that seemed to have bad traffic.

Northern Virginia used to be sleepier but yes, there were impressions of Maryland as being higher tax, higher crime and generally less affluent. I've seen a bit of the rivalry with Virginia on the Maryland side. I've run into a few people who were competitive about Northern Virginia or they would make jokes about Virginia and I'd remind them that I grew up there.

I think both regions have their benefits and now I interchangeably go between them whenever I want but I have friends who act like going 20 minutes in Maryland is going to another planet when they will drive much further in Virginia. The whole area is growing.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:30 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
I’ve heard plenty of Marylanders complain about Virginia drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
View detailed profiles of: