Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 07:40 PM

211 posts, read 237,566 times

Advertisements

“ The new District 4, which detractors say is shaped like a gerrymandered “bow tie,” also includes Takoma Park, Silver Spring and, to the dismay of some of its residents, North Bethesda.

North Bethesdans have flooded the council with objections to the inclusion of their neighborhood in that district, preferring instead to be grouped with Bethesda or Rockville.”

https://bethesdamagazine.com/bethesd...stricting-map/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 09:21 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
So more typical racial politics in Montgomery County, all about how Latinos and Jews have separate racially based interests, despite all of Montgomery County already being Democrat. Maryland as a whole is gerrymandered especially how Montgomery County was combined with Western Maryland to dilute the Republican voters of Western Maryland. This has real implications as despite Western Maryland lying on rich coal and natural gas reserves, the Congressman in that district will still support the war on coal and the Paris Accord because that's what the liberal elites of Potomac and Bethesda demand.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:23 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
Let's be real. This is not the Montgomery County of the 80's or 90's. The Northern VA and even Baltimore-area suburbs are more desirable at this point.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:48 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Let's be real. This is not the Montgomery County of the 80's or 90's. The Northern VA and even Baltimore-area suburbs are more desirable at this point.
Agree. Although I am no longer in the region, I visit friends and family often, and MoCo suburbs are definitely not the chic suburbs they used to be. Riding down Rockville Pike and seeing all the tacky strip malls and all the old 90’s style office parks around MoCo is a little depressing. In the 90’s-early 2000’s MoCo used to be the analog of the NoVA suburbs, but that is definitely not the case anymore. I think population growth really hurt the county. It is so crowded, and as a result is kind of dirty, especially in the core area. It’s not as pristine and upscale as NoVA or even Howard County (which I think is now more of a premier county in terms of homes, schools, etc.). Of course Bethesda, Potomac, etc. are still really nice, and there are a good number of less crowded suburbs farther west, but MoCo doesn’t have the same prestige it once did, not that long ago.

Old 12-16-2021, 12:02 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Agree. Although I am no longer in the region, I visit friends and family often, and MoCo suburbs are definitely not the chic suburbs they used to be. Riding down Rockville Pike and seeing all the tacky strip malls and all the old 90’s style office parks around MoCo is a little depressing. In the 90’s-early 2000’s MoCo used to be the analog of the NoVA suburbs, but that is definitely not the case anymore. I think population growth really hurt the county. It is so crowded, and as a result is kind of dirty, especially in the core area. It’s not as pristine and upscale as NoVA or even Howard County (which I think is now more of a premier county in terms of homes, schools, etc.). Of course Bethesda, Potomac, etc. are still really nice, and there are a good number of less crowded suburbs farther west, but MoCo doesn’t have the same prestige it once did, not that long ago.
Wait, what? So MoCo was chic back when it was almost exclusively "tacky stip malls and office parks," but now it's not chic because..."dirty?" I take it "chic" and "dirty" are just coded? Or do you seriously think 90s MoCo was chic?

Old 12-16-2021, 01:01 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post

Never! LOL

Old 12-16-2021, 01:03 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

Ridiculous! Housing prices in Montgomery County also kills this asinine assertion. But carry on Midwesterner.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:45 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Ridiculous! Housing prices in Montgomery County also kills this asinine assertion. But carry on Midwesterner.
And how do Montgomery County’s prices compare to NoVA’s, Southern Boy? Get at me with that info dug!

Old 12-16-2021, 09:22 PM

211 posts, read 237,566 times
tbh, I’m only a fan of district 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland