Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you excited to learn of the new name for the WFT?
I am not excited at all ! 5 12.20%
I want the original Redskin name back! 16 39.02%
I cannot root for this ownership 9 21.95%
I dont care either way 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 12:52 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times

Advertisements

The Snowflakes would be the most fitting given the politically correct motives! I know several people of Native American descent who are not offended by Redskins or Indians or Braves, but I guess they don't get to speak for Native Americans, only the most overly sensitive and easily offended of any group gets to speak for that group!

Or it can be some kind of swamp creaturel, and the unofficial name for the stadium would be the DC Swamp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 09:38 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,439,885 times
The Brigade is the best out of those options.

The Redskins took so long to retire. What a super offensive name, glad it happened.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:49 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The Snowflakes would be the most fitting given the politically correct motives! I know several people of Native American descent who are not offended by Redskins or Indians or Braves, but I guess they don't get to speak for Native Americans, only the most overly sensitive and easily offended of any group gets to speak for that group!

Or it can be some kind of swamp creaturel, and the unofficial name for the stadium would be the DC Swamp.
Agreed. I've always been disappointed that New Orleans didn't name their team the "New Orleans Coona$$es".

"Saints" is offensive to Protestants.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:02 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How about the Washington Planters as a reference to the colonial plantations in Virginia? Oh wait probably too reminding of slavery

How about the Tobacconists? Eh, probably the same.

They could use Senators. Canada's Capital Ottawa has a team named Senators. Does Canada's form of government even have senators?

I think they will choose Federals to match the Nationals, and Capitals. But Agents be a cool name, and even the Statesmen be nice.
Yes Canada has a Senate. Located in Ottawa.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:29 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
They should drop "Washington" from the name because it can be confused with the State of Washington and go with "D.C.____" such as D.C. United. Maybe the "D.C. Heroes" or "D.C. Avatars" or something like that (as allusion to the popular comic book publisher).
More like the D.C. Jokers

Old 01-10-2022, 06:33 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beco View Post
The last 8 names I've heard floating around are as follows:

Admirals
Redhogs
Commanders
Presidents
Armada
Brigade
Defenders
Sentinels and
Washington Football Team

Are you in the least bit excited about this?
No...I will get excited when that smuck sells the team.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I never understood the hate for the Redskins in places like Baltimore, it was the entire reason I turned on the Ravens when they were stolen out of Cleveland. DC lost a team too, the Senators. When that happened in less than a decade their fans adopted the Orioles. Most everyone I knew in Montgomery County was an O's fan, they were on TV every night and it was a natural progression.

But the people of Baltimore did the exact opposite once they lost the Colts. The openly turned on the Redskins for one reason, it's Washington and the chip on the shoulder was very obvious. One told me they resented the Redskins being "forced" on them with the games being on TV. Not sure how that was any different than the O's being "forced on DC baseball fans. There is no difference of course other than the chip on the shoulder about DC.

That is why this has been so difficult for me. As I said I can't do it with Daniel Snyder anymore, that cover up in the sexual misconduct investigation was the final straw. I've gone from hating the Ravens to rooting for them in the playoffs when the played Pittsburgh to trying to root for them openly. I've been trying for 3 years but my heart is just not into it, you can't just adopt a team because you want to. The NFL is my favorite sport by far and here i sit without a team. This really sucks.
I'm also 64, born and raised in DC and metro area..Been a fan my whole life. Not anymore, I'm done. The harassment issue done it for me. That knuckle head, Snyder's lackey George Michaels was instigated and should be held accountable along with his master, little fatboy Snyder. Dumping the name pissed me off, however, the dumping of the logo made me even angrier. There is nothing offensive about that logo of an American Indian, designed by a American Indian. Also the elimination of the team band. Snyder owns this mess, this cultureless team lock stock and barrel. The Washington Redskins do not exist anymore, thanks to that man/boy.

As far as Baltimore goes, have you been there lately? It's gone too......what a mess!!

Old 01-10-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
They should drop "Washington" from the name because it can be confused with the State of Washington and go with "D.C.____" such as D.C. United. Maybe the "D.C. Heroes" or "D.C. Avatars" or something like that (as allusion to the popular comic book publisher).
Washington DC was here before Washington State. George Washington's estate is nearby Fairfax, VA. Fort Washington is even closer, Prince Georges Co, MD. This area was his stomping grounds. So I disagree.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
The Brigade is the best out of those options.

The Redskins took so long to retire. What a super offensive name, glad it happened.
I'll bet you've boo hoo'd your entire life over that name and logo. I'm offended by that name Manhattan. Oh, the horror of it all.

Name the team the Washington Potomacs.....Oh, can't do that, it would offend another group of babies.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:15 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I'm also 64, born and raised in DC and metro area..Been a fan my whole life. Not anymore, I'm done. The harassment issue done it for me. That knuckle head, Snyder's lackey George Michaels was instigated and should be held accountable along with his master, little fatboy Snyder. Dumping the name pissed me off, however, the dumping of the logo made me even angrier. There is nothing offensive about that logo of an American Indian, designed by a American Indian. Also the elimination of the team band. Snyder owns this mess, this cultureless team lock stock and barrel. The Washington Redskins do not exist anymore, thanks to that man/boy.

As far as Baltimore goes, have you been there lately? It's gone too......what a mess!!
Agree with the first part, not the second. Any name that refers to the appears of a group of people is out of touch with the world today, that includes the logo. I had no problem with the name change, of course calling yourself Football Team for 2 years is downright embarrassing.

As for Baltimore you do not have to be familiar with places like North Avenue and West Baltimore to root for the team. Baltimore is closer to me than DC, it should not be a problem to transition. But when your heart is in one team it's just not that easy to switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland