Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you excited to learn of the new name for the WFT?
I am not excited at all ! 5 12.20%
I want the original Redskin name back! 16 39.02%
I cannot root for this ownership 9 21.95%
I dont care either way 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 01:54 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times

Advertisements

I don't think the new name matters at all. The name and all that was tied up on it was probably the most notable thing about the franchise, other than that you just have a team that hasn't been relevant in over a quarter century.

The "Admirals" "Federals" "Senators" etc. will basically be an expansion team without an inbuilt fanbase. If they don't succeed quickly, I don't think a sale + relocation can be ruled out at all. I hear St.Louis is looking for a team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 06:44 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"because it's beyond obvious that they will never win with this horrible man as the owner."

I predicted this when he took over.

Could never understand why Jack Kent Cook didn't bring his son into the "business", so he could take over the team.
Because JKC's will stated that his son had to sell the team and setup the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation. My recollection back then is that it came down to two buyers, Dan Snyder and two brothers, can not remember their names, Goldstein---something like that, who I think owned or used to own a hockey team? I also believe his son attempted to keep the team, but no dice. Dan had the cash...beginning of the end. Cooke's son has been living the life in Bermuda ever since.

Last edited by jmking; 01-14-2022 at 06:56 AM..

Old 01-14-2022, 09:38 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I was a hard core fan for over 40 years. Recorded the games and watched the wins again. As the losses and embarrassing off the field drama piled up I became apathetic. But the sexual harassments investigation interference, and the league making it clear that they will allow Dan Snyder to do anything and they will never remove him, has forced me to bail completely. I hate this man more than any man alive, he has stolen my love. So I really don't give a rat's ass what the team name is, I'm done.
I am heading that way myself.

Snyder's nature became obvious and on display with the double debacle of Marty Schottenheimer and Jeff George. But various "big splashes" like Spurrier, Gibbs II, and RGIII gave us reason to indulge in denial.

I have been a fan since 1971. I continued to cheer them on out of loyalty. But now we will basically have an expansion team owned by Snyder. It's time for a clean break.

The man really is a repulsive creature.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:36 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Similar applied to the Yankee's (still does).
But "hate" is too strong... disregard and contempt for the same DC shoulder chip vs B'more.
(yeah.. I just reversed your interpretation of all that)

a) Fan loyalty from wherever they came is diluted by carpetbaggerism.
b) The post 1960 era had the Orioles at the top of the standings.
Getting behind a winner is easy.
2nd favorite teams pick up the slack. An uncle was nuts about Vince Lombardi and the Packers.
That sentiment lingered on.
I do not see why you reversed the Baltimore/Washington thing. DC does not have the chip on their shoulder, that belongs to Baltimore. It was made perfectly clear when the DC baseball fans adopted the O's where the Baltimore football fans not only did not accept the Redskins they made no secret of their distain for them.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:35 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I do not see why you reversed the Baltimore/Washington thing. DC does not have the chip on their shoulder, that belongs to Baltimore. It was made perfectly clear when the DC baseball fans adopted the O's where the Baltimore football fans not only did not accept the Redskins they made no secret of their distain for them.
I do not understand it either.

When the Ravens reached the Super Bowl, I and every other Skins fan I know rooted for them.

I do not remember the original Senators. Growing up in the 70s, the Orioles were the natural team to cheer on. While I have adopted the Nats, I have not abandoned the Orioles. They are both my favorite teams. While the Battle for the Beltway is always fun, I feel funny rooting against either of them. Again, most of the legacy Orioles fans around here like both teams. It is a unique situation.

I go on Orioles forums and the dislike of the Nats is insane. It is not as if they are in the same division or have met in the World Series.

As I am likely to ditch the WFT, the Ravens would have been the natural go to for new team. But all this has soured me, so I will look elsewhere.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:21 PM

6,708 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I go on Orioles forums and the dislike of the Nats is insane. It is not as if they are in the same division or have met in the World Series.
Baltimore felt slighted that DC didn't embrace their team. But they also ignore the reality that Baltimore is a tiny media market and can't really support MLB. Visiting Yankee and Red Sox fans coming in for nearly 1/4 of "home" games sustain that team's stadium revenue.

It's bad for baseball to continue to keep a team in Baltimore, and not Nashville, Charlotte, etc, but doing the smart thing financially isn't one of MLB's strengths.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:25 PM

6,708 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The "Admirals" "Federals" "Senators" etc. will basically be an expansion team without an inbuilt fanbase. If they don't succeed quickly, I don't think a sale + relocation can be ruled out at all. I hear St.Louis is looking for a team.
Agree with all the comments about Snyder being horrendous, and the new name being a media circus, not a real change in direction. But the NFL has learned its lesson about leaving large media markets, and will not leave DC. Even when the Patriots threatened to leave for St. Louis in the 90s, Paul Tagliabue was pretty clear that they wouldn't leave metro Boston without a team.

The Snyder Football Team has become what the Orioles are to MLB - an opportunity for visiting fans from NY, Philly, and elsewhere to cheer on their team in an otherwise empty stadium.

Old 01-20-2022, 10:54 AM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Agree with all the comments about Snyder being horrendous, and the new name being a media circus, not a real change in direction. But the NFL has learned its lesson about leaving large media markets, and will not leave DC. Even when the Patriots threatened to leave for St. Louis in the 90s, Paul Tagliabue was pretty clear that they wouldn't leave metro Boston without a team.

The Snyder Football Team has become what the Orioles are to MLB - an opportunity for visiting fans from NY, Philly, and elsewhere to cheer on their team in an otherwise empty stadium.

I think it's different from say Boston because Baltimore is just down the road and already has a not insignificant fanbase in the D.C. area. It doesn't take too much fantasy to imagine the Ravens as the NFL team for the D.C. area as well.

Old 01-20-2022, 01:51 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Baltimoreans have long accused the DC area of trying to steal the Orioles and move the team further south, anywhere from Laurel to DC. And after the Colts left Baltimore, JKC tried to claim Baltimore as part of the Redskins' territory to deny Baltimore an NFL franchise for itself.

Old 01-20-2022, 06:24 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Baltimore felt slighted that DC didn't embrace their team. But they also ignore the reality that Baltimore is a tiny media market and can't really support MLB. Visiting Yankee and Red Sox fans coming in for nearly 1/4 of "home" games sustain that team's stadium revenue.

It's bad for baseball to continue to keep a team in Baltimore, and not Nashville, Charlotte, etc, but doing the smart thing financially isn't one of MLB's strengths.

But that's simply not true. As I and others have pointed out plenty of people we know in DC supported the O's after the Senators left. They most certainly embrace the Orioles

I also disagree that Baltimore can't support a team. You see Red Sox and Yankees fans would take the stadium over for the same reason Eagles and Cowboys fans overtake the FedEx Field. Losing for a long time will do that to any team regardless of where they play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland