Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2022, 05:05 PM

44 posts, read 46,415 times

Advertisements

The logo on the Prince George's County Government website says "Proud. Get to Know Us". With the new www.PGC311.com website and app anyone can now see the Service Requests that are being submitted to the county regarding such things as "Private Property Concerns", "Abandoned Vehicles", "Missed Trash Collections", and "Flooding and Water Run-Off Issues". To review the service requests it looks like the county is certainly not "gorgeous" and the matter of pride is questionable.

Prince George's County is frequently disparaged by folks in nearby jurisdictions. I try to make the case that they are misinformed, especially with regard to, for example, crime. But your eyes don't lie and you see what you see, both as you drive around the neighborhoods and you read the submitted service requests. They are coming in fast and the problems are similar county-wide. It's sad. The decline in the quality of life began before the pandemic and seems to have been accelerated the decline.

Take a look at www.PGC311.com. On the home page go to STATUS at the top of the page. Select STATUS and then look below the red banner on the left side for ALL SERVICE REQUESTS. You can select a request, OPEN it, see the date it was submitted, see its description and - maybe most importantly - see the date when the county expects the issue to be resolved. THIS IS.... I don't know what? Sad? Unacceptable? Incompetence on display? What?

Remember Prince George's County has candidates vying for votes. Some are incumbents. How do they explain what has happened, especially in our residential neighborhoods? Why the absence of enforcement of county ordinances to address this deterioration and restore "gorgeous Prince George's"? And for brand new candidates for office in the county, what are you going to do about this mess?

The county is also working on its next budget. What happened tot he promises to get more inspectors in order to address just the kinds of service requests being submitted? What line items are in the next budget to address these quality of life issues?

I am a native Washingtonian and I live in Prince George's County so no need to jump on me about pointing the finger as an outsider. I don't like it one bit and I'm trying to decide if I stay or go because frankly I'm tired of begging county government to do its job. I'm not proud of this mess. I'm frustrated and angry. What are they doing with my tax dollars? How do you feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 10:35 AM

47 posts, read 56,784 times
The county adding the option to add two bulk pick up items to your weekly trash run was good initiative by the county to try and cut down on the illegal dumping. The new compost program seems like a great idea to help with waste too. Sadly, I was the only family on my block to request a bin.

Regarding the 311 website. We have no real way of quantifying if the number of requests are a lot but given the size of the county we should expect a decent amount of requests. Outside of the "private property concerns" the expected resolution dates seem pretty decent.

I want better for the county too but I'm not sure if it will happen regardless of who is in office if the residents don't do their part as well. Plenty of people do their part but the amount of trash on the side of the roads suggests that plenty are not holding up their end of the deal.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:48 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
I don't think them having a website for complaints is any good indicator of its decline. Wouldnt most say PG is on the rise compared to where it was in the 2000s?

It is visibility is less nice than most of the surrounding counties (more litter and abandons cars, less new development, worse retail, more fast food, fewer entertainment options, older shopping plazas, poor landscaping and roads, etc, etc) but it seems to be improving not declining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland