Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:56 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times

Advertisements

The title thread is delibarately worded simply to create discussion, etc. Sorry in advance.

Nontheless, you get a predominate black area, like PG. You look at the numbers, and since it is majority black, it is assumed that there aren't any white people.

But, looking at wikipedia, you still have 27% white people in PG.

Additionally, PG is actually quite wealthy....and I get the impression it would mostly be from the black families (or individuals). I'd assume wealthy and white would probably be in MoCo or Fairfax or somewhere.

That being said, there is apparently a lot of NOT wealthy black families or individuals as well...at least thats way everyone describes PG.

Nontheless, amongst all of that going on. You DO have white people throughout PG. Where are they? WHat are they doing?

Are they way out on the rural fringes...happily doing whatever they've always been doing?

Are a large portion of them actually linked to the University of Maryland, and simply there on a temporary basis.

Are a lot of them little old ladies and older gentleman...who got stuck there as everything around them has changed demographically in their lifetimes?

Are they gentrifying souls. Are they working class? Are they 'liberals trying to make a difference' with whatever that entails - and I am not sure myself. Or are they just people who see good value for a buck?

Nontheless, what's the story with the white people of PG County?

Also, since I get the impression that at least half of the posters are AA themselves on here...where would you recommend a white person looking at PG County as a potential destination, to move to? I'm thinking the northern PG county area closest to MoCo....but curious if there are any surprise places I've overlooked...and why you recommend those particular places? (Also, not thinking of distant rural PG destinations - but the closer to DC the better).

(I'm white, in case someone was curious).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 05:01 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
I've met quite a few who like PG and see no sense in moving to Montgomery, Howard, or Fairfax.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:04 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,980,627 times
This is an interesting question. There is definitely a significant population of whites who still live in PG. I will break it down like this places like Brandywine, Fort Washington, Accokeek, and parts of Clinton maintain a significant population of white people in the southern part of the county. These places culturally are much different than the rest of the county, much slower, and they are all much closer to Charles County. I suspect it is much easier to live in these areas because they are still close to other counties but closer to the city limit, making for a better commute. Fort Washington is also a bit weird too because I've noticed over the past two years, a dramatic increase in the number of white people living there. I'm sure the affordable waterfront homes, beautiful parks, and the relatively close proximity to the city would attract just about anyone.

As you go north into the central part of the county you have a tendency to see a few (very few) white people in places like Seat Pleasant. Well apparently way back when, towns like that were predominantly white (I'll let someone older than me speak on that), and some just never felt the desire to leave. Other than that you might find some white people in Upper Marlboro but most of the central part of the county is predominantly black.

Okay so that leaves the northern part, which probably has the largest white population of all the three sections of PG. You have places like College Park, Laurel, Bowie, Greenbelt, and Beltsville that have always had a significant white population. College Park is for obvious reasons. Laurel, I suspect it has more to do with the fact that it again culturally doesn't resemble the rest of PG but it's also part of two other counties. Bowie and Greenbelt has always had a large white population in their old town sections and it has been suspected that some of the population tries to keep 'control' of those parts of town. We had a conversation on here about Bowie historically segregated population, but I've heard that Greenbelt has been just as bad. I strongly believe that people are staying more in these parts because the towns are traditionally (for the most part) are the safest in the county, have some of the best schools, more jobs, has some of the best amenities (shopping, parks), close to other counties that may have even more amenities, and the housing is much cheaper than surrounding counties. Of course all of these things are just my opinion.

If I were to recommend a location in this county, rather white or not, I would highly recommend the northern part in a place like Bowie. Bowie is by far the flagship of this county and really brings the things that just about anyone would desire.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:27 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,445 times
I'm white and live in PG County. Between me, my bf, and my ex-husband, most of our families still live here. Many of my friends that are white live here. There really are quite a few of us around. I have lived here my whole life (actually, a few years in Virginia and some time in Howard County). I currently live in Laurel and have for 15 years. I grew up in Langley Park and have also lived in Riverdale, Hyattsville, and Beltsville.

I made a post in the past regarding being white in PG. To be honest, I never knew PG was predominately AA until I came to this forum. Also, Southern, Central, and Northern PG are vastly different areas. I have to be honest and say that there are areas that I would never consider moving to (not because of the AA element but the crime element). Growing up, Suitland, District Heights, Landover, Clinton, Oxen Hill, etc., seemed so far away and, to this day, I know nothing of those areas and never have needed to go there.

Some fail to comprehend that PG has areas that are as different as night and day. I don't think all the negativity people have against PG is a always race-based thing, I believe it is more of a safety and well-being issue. However, a few bad areas should not reflect on the county as a whole.

I stay here because this is where the work is. I've worked for the Federal Government and contractors to the Government. I stay in PG because, for me, it is familiar and I haven't had anything negative happen to me as a result of living in this county. Yes, given the chance, I would love to move, but not just out of PG, but out of the whole Metro-DC area. However, while I am here, I am more than content to stay in PG.

As a side note and not to offend anyone (although I'm sure I will (sorry)), but I have noticed that some of the whites in the inner beltway areas tend to be more on the lower income side and have lived in the area since it was predominately white. I think there are quite a few whites that need the affordability and familiarity of PG and that PG will always have a white presence.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:37 PM

Interesting thread so far.

From meatkins, I researched all those cities you mentioned and more. FORT WASHINGTON stands out. Not for having white people in particular, but interestingly saw it has 10% asian - i.e. filipinos. That is kind of interesting. It also has proximity to DC and Alexandria...and that nice highway straight down, that would probably be quite easy to get in and out of DC for jobs. A bit peninsular as well with coasts and such...although it also appears to be a very large geographic region. Nontheless, an interesting find to research more.

Northern PG struck me before as a good location. The schools not in particular, but from everything else, from what I can tell, but the housing prices are definitely worth it compared to the housing prices across the county line.

I also just opened my awareness to a few other places. Riverdale Park was previously off my radar. Looks a bit Spanish with black and white. Very close proximity to a subway and University Park is just there.

Viewing google maps, Mount Rainier up to North Brentwood looks kind of interesting. I got a wife and kid though. But I like the eclectic houses...not sure what those neighborhoods would be like, for a wife and kid, who are more safety-conscious than I am.

Beltsville/Greenbelt...I can't figure them out. They're just outside of the Belway, and seem more suburban suburban. More of a bland way. Whereas inside the beltway, the terrain seems more eclectic, varied, colorful in some way. Can't tell if that's a google map thing, or it's a reality.

Nontheless, you've both opened me up to a few other neighborhoods to examine and research. PG does seem like a good combination of proximity/affordability...just looking for a good combination of a sense of safety of enough for the wife to approve.

Further question, what's the story with Adelphi?

(Take in mind, this is also very future-minded as well, no immediate move for awhile - just examining possibilities).

Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,188 times
Tiger Beer,

I can only speak for myself, but I can honestly say that the color of other people's skin doesn't matter to me one way or another. I like to think that many other people in Prince George's county, regardless of race, feel the same way. My wife and I chose to live in Fort Washington because it works best for us. We have no desire to live in Fairfax or MoCo. Meatkins was pretty close to the mark when he noted waterfront and close proximity to the city.

You ask for specific places for "a white person looking at PG County as a potential destination, to move to." My response is: Would you find it disturbing to live next door to hardworking, successful African Americans? If you say no, you will have plenty of options in PG. Anyone who says yes has problems that go far beyond finding a place to live and I sincerely hope they don't come to my neighborhood. In my experience, African Americans have far more problems when they move into "white" neighborhoods than whites do moving into predominantly African American neighborhoods.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
You ask for specific places for "a white person looking at PG County as a potential destination, to move to." My response is: Would you find it disturbing to live next door to hardworking, successful African Americans? If you say no, you will have plenty of options in PG. Anyone who says yes has problems that go far beyond finding a place to live and I sincerely hope they don't come to my neighborhood. In my experience, African Americans have far more problems when they move into "white" neighborhoods than whites do moving into predominantly African American neighborhoods.
That's a non-issue for me, but I know what you mean.

Actually it was a catch-all inquiry, I was both curious about caucasians living in PG, and PG, and letting people know I was caucasian. I wasn't really looking for a white area to live, as there are none. They're either mixed or their black.

I guess if I would have worded it more appropriately, I would have said 'where are the mixed areas'.

That being said, if there are all black areas that are wealthy and everyone is successful AND somehow affordable...than even better. (Actually that sounds like Fort Washington)

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-10-2011 at 02:06 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 05:26 PM

175 posts, read 651,825 times
There are tons of whites its just that people go by what other people say and have never been down there. I'll give y'all a list of predomitly white communities in pg:

University park

College park (although i tend to see more latinos down there)

Andrews afb

Parts of upper marlboro

Berwyn heights

Greenbelt??

Brandywine (theres not much there but counryland but you see some down there)

Historic hyattsville

I heard theres some in clinton believe it or not.l

Almost all the parts of pg on the se dc side are black, the college park side is more white. Its not that hard to figure out.

Congrats to my guess the 123rd prince georges post on this forum!!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:48 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
I lived in some apartments off metro and there was a White Couple that moved in and enjoyed themselves. These apartments are in Landover btw.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:40 PM

57 posts, read 162,286 times
I moved to PG in 96 from Richmond, VA and work as a tax accountant. I can afford to live in MoCo, Fairfax, Howard, DC and Alexandria but prefer PG, because it's not heavily commercialized or densely developed. But I'm now ready for a change, most likely a move to out of MD. I want to live in a state that has a tradition of two-party rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland