Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 05:27 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times

Advertisements

Well, well, well. Looks like that main street may get some life after all. Too bad it looks the way it does right now. That hotel is lookin mighty necessary after this:

Quote:
After more than 20 years, the Washington International Horse Show, one of the biggest horse shows in North America, is set to return to Upper Marlboro, Maryland.

Starting this weekend, one of the biggest competitions on the continent is finally coming back to the county. The last time the Washington International Horse Show was held in Prince George’s County, it took place at the old Capitol Centre (known at the time as U.S. Air Arena). After that, it moved to what’s now known as Capital One Arena.

For those in the horse show industry, this event is on par with the Super Bowl or even the Olympics, since international competitors will be present, as will the U.S. Olympic team that competed in Tokyo in 2020.
https://wtop.com/prince-georges-coun...pper-marlboro/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 06:49 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,072,655 times
I'm sure the horse show site must be the Show Place Arena, a 5,800-seat facility with major events of all kinds, year-round, located within walking distance of downtown Upper Marlboro.

https://The_Show_Place_Arena

These events for many decades have included the annual County Fair. In earlier days the site was called the Marlboro Race Track.

https://www.countyfair.org

Old 10-21-2022, 03:40 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Biggest problem you have is they don't want it! The Zoning laws will not allow many of the things suggested and if you go for anything other then work or Jury duty like a weekend it's a ghost town. Remember just about a half mile outside of town you have a nice shopping center and it's not on 301

Old 10-21-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Biggest problem you have is they don't want it! The Zoning laws will not allow many of the things suggested and if you go for anything other then work or Jury duty like a weekend it's a ghost town. Remember just about a half mile outside of town you have a nice shopping center and it's not on 301
It's not really about where is there to shop. But it's a main street that has potential. If someone either allowed it or gave it a little spark. I mean at least a Christmas store? lol. Or a seasonal store that sells Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving stuff. No banners with horses on them to give a nod to the area's history.

There's a grill but I've had better food at a cafeteria. I'm not saying it has to be a Silver Spring. But can we get a facade grant to freshen up all the building facades? Fix some of the sidewalks. Get a little bodega or a deli that sells wine, cheese, cured meats. Etc. Not to compete with a grocery store, but to liven up main street a tad.

Old 10-22-2022, 06:19 AM

67 posts, read 64,170 times
The Town of UM has a history of being difficult to work with. The residents are very active and fight development tooth and nail. I would guess that’s part of the reason most of the county services have relocated to Largo. They have quite the uphill battle. However, they have recently annexed nearby areas to include the Show Place arena so maybe they’re finally getting with the program. I agree Main St could offer so much more than bail bond services.

Old 10-22-2022, 06:45 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
It's not really about where is there to shop. But it's a main street that has potential. If someone either allowed it or gave it a little spark. I mean at least a Christmas store? lol. Or a seasonal store that sells Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving stuff. No banners with horses on them to give a nod to the area's history.

There's a grill but I've had better food at a cafeteria. I'm not saying it has to be a Silver Spring. But can we get a facade grant to freshen up all the building facades? Fix some of the sidewalks. Get a little bodega or a deli that sells wine, cheese, cured meats. Etc. Not to compete with a grocery store, but to liven up main street a tad.
You ignored what I said in my post, they don't want it!

Old 10-22-2022, 08:27 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times
So many want to pay their money at the Courthouse and then get the hell out of UM.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
So many want to pay their money at the Courthouse and then get the hell out of UM.
I don't blame them.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
You ignored what I said in my post, they don't want it!
I read your post. I'm talking about appearance. Not just retail. But hey, if they want their main street to look like a piece of crap, it speaks to the people that are in leadership.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Jones View Post
The Town of UM has a history of being difficult to work with. The residents are very active and fight development tooth and nail. I would guess that’s part of the reason most of the county services have relocated to Largo. They have quite the uphill battle. However, they have recently annexed nearby areas to include the Show Place arena so maybe they’re finally getting with the program. I agree Main St could offer so much more than bail bond services.
And that was my point. I'm not talking about creating a new city around main st. But just clean it up a little. I've seen better main streets in more rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland