Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 06:08 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
It's not really about where is there to shop. But it's a main street that has potential. If someone either allowed it or gave it a little spark. I mean at least a Christmas store? lol. Or a seasonal store that sells Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving stuff. No banners with horses on them to give a nod to the area's history.

There's a grill but I've had better food at a cafeteria. I'm not saying it has to be a Silver Spring. But can we get a facade grant to freshen up all the building facades? Fix some of the sidewalks. Get a little bodega or a deli that sells wine, cheese, cured meats. Etc. Not to compete with a grocery store, but to liven up main street a tad.
We who?

Go the next Town Meeting (fourth Tuesday of the month) and give them a piece of your Adelphi resident mind.

https://www.uppermarlboromd.gov/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 12:44 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
PG county planning in general doesn’t care about dense small towns. The reason Hyattsville became what it is now is because of the city of Hyattsville planning committee.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
PG county planning in general doesn’t care about dense small towns. The reason Hyattsville became what it is now is because of the city of Hyattsville planning committee.
And the same thing holds for Upper Marlboro. Any change has to come from the municipality.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:20 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And the same thing holds for Upper Marlboro. Any change has to come from the municipality.
True. They’re just very small.

Old 11-06-2022, 02:17 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
And that was my point. I'm not talking about creating a new city around main st. But just clean it up a little. I've seen better main streets in more rural areas.
Good for you, how many are County hubs, Courts, Government?

Old 11-09-2022, 07:52 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default Boredatwork

I think that area is supposed to remain rural apart of the land preservation in PG county. Even if it were built up whats the point? Its ok to not build up every area possible. There's really nothing to clean up its just old over there. There's no trash or litter just a little country looking.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:23 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I think that area is supposed to remain rural apart of the land preservation in PG county. Even if it were built up whats the point? Its ok to not build up every area possible. There's really nothing to clean up its just old over there. There's no trash or litter just a little country looking.
No one is asking for main street to be built up. Just dressed up. It's the main street of the county seat and a half a mile away from a historic venue. I figured there'd be a little pride shown for that reason.

It has been said in this thread that the locals want their main street to continue looking the way it does. So, it is what it is.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
No one is asking for main street to be built up. Just dressed up. It's the main street of the county seat and a half a mile away from a historic venue. I figured there'd be a little pride shown for that reason.

It has been said in this thread that the locals want their main street to continue looking the way it does. So, it is what it is.
Some of it, and I have decades long experience, is that the business/property owners have to do a lot of it. And the first thing that happens if the idea comes from the local government is that those owners start crying how hard it is make it as a small business.

Just Christmas decorations becomes a major exercise in frustration, forget about painting a building. That's when cries of having to go bankrupt start being heard.

I have to say that is a major change from when I first got involved in local politics. Then the business people lived in or near the community and saw themselves as partners with the municipality. Every committee had at least a couple of business people on it. Now, not so much. In fact, if you tell them you need some business representatives on something the common response is that they close their business at whatever time and after that their time is theirs. Of course, they also complain about everything.

That's how I went from early in my political life as being known as a strong supporter of business to being anti-business. I finally got tired of their bull**** about everything.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:14 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some of it, and I have decades long experience, is that the business/property owners have to do a lot of it. And the first thing that happens if the idea comes from the local government is that those owners start crying how hard it is make it as a small business.

Just Christmas decorations becomes a major exercise in frustration, forget about painting a building. That's when cries of having to go bankrupt start being heard.

I have to say that is a major change from when I first got involved in local politics. Then the business people lived in or near the community and saw themselves as partners with the municipality. Every committee had at least a couple of business people on it. Now, not so much. In fact, if you tell them you need some business representatives on something the common response is that they close their business at whatever time and after that their time is theirs. Of course, they also complain about everything.

That's how I went from early in my political life as being known as a strong supporter of business to being anti-business. I finally got tired of their bull**** about everything.
Thanks for sharing your inside perspective. I wasn't aware that it could be that frustrating at times. Good to know. I'll keep that in mind.

Old 11-10-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your inside perspective. I wasn't aware that it could be that frustrating at times. Good to know. I'll keep that in mind.
It's even more fun when the business people don't get along and start two competing business groups with somewhat opposing aims.

Like I said, it all changed when the local owners closed/sold and people from elsewhere "followed their dream".

There are several "dreams" that I would consider the most..........questionable but I have to give the prize to the homemade gourmet dog food store. In second place would be a group-businesses that focused on beach related items that opened in January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland