Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2023, 06:47 AM
 
4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Reputation: 3902

Advertisements

Seriously this has to be the worst road "improvement" I have ever seen. Why are we taking a 3 lane rd down to a two lane rd for a bike lane on a busy suburban road. This is not DC or some urban environment. I have driven this road almost every day for the past year. It took forever for them to do this construction, and once they're done. Traffic is somehow worse. Oh and BTW I have never seen anyone cycle on this road ever, so IDK who asked for this. Someone should really get fired over this garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2023, 09:25 PM
 
2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Reputation: 2601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Seriously this has to be the worst road "improvement" I have ever seen. Why are we taking a 3 lane rd down to a two lane rd for a bike lane on a busy suburban road. This is not DC or some urban environment. I have driven this road almost every day for the past year. It took forever for them to do this construction, and once they're done. Traffic is somehow worse. Oh and BTW I have never seen anyone cycle on this road ever, so IDK who asked for this. Someone should really get fired over this garbage.
Two teens died while biking along OGR in the last couple years (yes, cyclists do exist even if you don't see them). That's the reason people "asked for this." SHA has already said they'll do a post-install review of the project to see if the cost/benefit matches projections. If not, e.g. if traffic delays are worse than expected or road conditions are less safe, they'll presumably restripe the road to its former configuration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2023, 10:55 AM
 
4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Reputation: 3902
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Two teens died while biking along OGR in the last couple years (yes, cyclists do exist even if you don't see them). That's the reason people "asked for this." SHA has already said they'll do a post-install review of the project to see if the cost/benefit matches projections. If not, e.g. if traffic delays are worse than expected or road conditions are less safe, they'll presumably restripe the road to its former configuration.
I think there could have been a better way to do it. I would have never considered biking on that road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2023, 03:55 PM
 
2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Reputation: 2601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I think there could have been a better way to do it. I would have never considered biking on that road.
The teens weren't biking on the road, they were on the sidewalk and fell into the roadway. One was due to residential trash cans blocking most of the sidewalk and causing the kid to lose his balance when trying to maneuver around; I don't recall the cause of the second fatality. Seeking a buffer for the immediately adjacent sidewalk was one reason for the redesign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2023, 05:32 PM
 
4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Reputation: 3902
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
The teens weren't biking on the road, they were on the sidewalk and fell into the roadway. One was due to residential trash cans blocking most of the sidewalk and causing the kid to lose his balance when trying to maneuver around; I don't recall the cause of the second fatality. Seeking a buffer for the immediately adjacent sidewalk was one reason for the redesign.
Yeah. The sidewalks are pretty narrow. Definitely an issue. I just don’t see how lane reduction is going to work in the long haul especially with so much car centric development in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2023, 05:11 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Reputation: 10450
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
The teens weren't biking on the road, they were on the sidewalk and fell into the roadway. One was due to residential trash cans blocking most of the sidewalk and causing the kid to lose his balance when trying to maneuver around; I don't recall the cause of the second fatality. Seeking a buffer for the immediately adjacent sidewalk was one reason for the redesign.
That’s interesting. Maryland cities have many sidewalks immediately adjacent to the road. When I first came to Maryland years ago I noticed that right away. I always wondered why there wasn’t a small strip of grass, or some other buffer, separating it from the road. I think that’s the positive of the redesign. Losing a lane is the negative side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2023, 08:52 AM
 
211 posts, read 237,566 times
Reputation: 246
A proper sidewalk would have some green space as a buffer from the road. Expansion of the sidewalk space would make more sense, since it also benefits pedestrians, though thus would be a more costly option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2023, 01:42 PM
 
5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Reputation: 7184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCarea View Post
A proper sidewalk would have some green space as a buffer from the road. Expansion of the sidewalk space would make more sense, since it also benefits pedestrians, though thus would be a more costly option.

Expansion of sidewalk space without taking the space from the roadway would probably mean purchasing land from all the adjacent landowners. You want to try that in MoCo? They will fight you every inch of the way and once the decision is made to actually purchase the land they will fight you on the valuation. And every year they tie you up the land value increases. And until you get EVERY piece of land you can't start the actual construction.


So you steal the land from the roadway in the current RoW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2023, 04:08 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
16,272 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Reputation: 27575
I grew up right off Old Georgetown Road, and yes I biked it often as a teen. I am old enough to remember when it was widened from 2 lanes to 6, houses that had just been built by the Y had their front lawns taken away. I sure hope they knew this was coming when the purchased the homes.

I'm still a bike rider so I can appreciate the idea of safety, it's a miracle me or any of my friends didn't get hurt or killed. But I also keep in touch with the locals and nobody is happy about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2023, 11:16 AM
 
1,261 posts, read 692,686 times
Reputation: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Seriously this has to be the worst road "improvement" I have ever seen. Why are we taking a 3 lane rd down to a two lane rd for a bike lane on a busy suburban road. This is not DC or some urban environment. I have driven this road almost every day for the past year. It took forever for them to do this construction, and once they're done. Traffic is somehow worse. Oh and BTW I have never seen anyone cycle on this road ever, so IDK who asked for this. Someone should really get fired over this garbage.
Everyone is complaining, I just got cutoff the other day, so keep your wits.....I heard they might go down Tuckerman Lane now...who is responsible for all this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top