Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 10:50 PM

4 posts, read 4,898 times

Advertisements

Has anyone living in PG County noticed that the "Private Property Concerns" submitted on PGC311.com are always closed as "No Violation" even if the pictures from the reporter show an unequivocal code violation, unless they involve permit issues?

In the case of permit issues, it appears the rather than simply closing as No Violation, the tickets are split into a "Construction Issue" ticket and a single citation is issued (presumably because it brings the county revenue) and then any further tickets are declined as duplicates. Meaning the offender is allowed to do whatever you want, as long as you pay the first fine to the County?

I thought I was crazy when my reports of a neighbor filling the street with mountains of food and trash and making my otherwise peaceful street a messy festival of rats were being ignored, but I'm now slowly coming to the realization that this is happening to everyone ???

Last edited by PGLivin; 07-11-2023 at 11:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 07:27 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGLivin View Post
Has anyone living in PG County noticed that the "Private Property Concerns" submitted on PGC311.com are always closed as "No Violation" even if the pictures from the reporter show an unequivocal code violation, unless they involve permit issues?

In the case of permit issues, it appears the rather than simply closing as No Violation, the tickets are split into a "Construction Issue" ticket and a single citation is issued (presumably because it brings the county revenue) and then any further tickets are declined as duplicates. Meaning the offender is allowed to do whatever you want, as long as you pay the first fine to the County?

I thought I was crazy when my reports of a neighbor filling the street with mountains of food and trash and making my otherwise peaceful street a messy festival of rats were being ignored, but I'm now slowly coming to the realization that this is happening to everyone ???
With these posts, I'm going to start asking these questions.

1. Did you talk to your civic association? Do you know if you have one? If not, maybe start one.
2. Did you contact the local representative? Council member? Senator? County Exec?
Sometimes a phone call or a letter helps document the issue and get it noticed by those that can take
action. It may be slow. It is a large metropolitan county with urban, suburban, and rural tiers. Not just
your neighborhood.
3. Screenshots of these issues on the website?
4. Did you document the issue with photos? Evidence works.

This is not happening to everyone. Sometimes as a citizen in a community it may take a little effort on everyone's part to improve your neighborhood. Complaining on a random online forum, where the people that can do something about it aren't even aware of, won't get you very far.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Or else it may appear that you are not bothered by it.

Some people prefer HOAs where there is a local authority that has the time and resources to address these issues a bit more quickly than at the county level. However, I thank God I don't live in an HOA. I feel if this is the land of the free, then let me be free to do what I want, within reason, on my property. That includes having cookouts in the front yard. :-)

Old 07-12-2023, 08:29 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:

Code Enforcement in most jurisdictions would much rather have compliance/remediation than write violations. Prince George's County is no different.

The laws are even written that way for most situations. Give warnings with statutory time limits to fix the problem, sometimes multiple chances, before a violation is written. The only caveat is if the violation is an immediate danger to health or safety and sometimes property (say a tree broken off above the ground overhanging a sidewalk).

I'll use your garbage issue as an example.
Code Enforcement officer comes out and sees the trash.
Writes the violation and notifies the property owner. This will take a couple days for the process.
The property owner has ten days to mitigate the situation.
Code Enforcement reinspects after ten days and the issue hasn't been fixed.
Another notice is sent, again with a ten day mitigation process.
Code Enforcement reinspects after ten days.
If the violation is still present a violation is issued.
There's another ten days to mitigate and now the property owner can appeal the violation to Circuit Court.

That's the due process written into State law.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 07-12-2023 at 08:43 AM..

Old 07-12-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Code Enforcement in most jurisdictions would much rather have compliance/remediation than write violations. Prince George's County is no different.

The laws are even written that way for most situations. Give warnings with statutory time limits to fix the problem, sometimes multiple chances, before a violation is written. The only caveat is if the violation is an immediate danger to health or safety and sometimes property (say a tree broken off above the ground overhanging a sidewalk).

I'll use your garbage issue as an example.
Code Enforcement officer comes out and sees the trash.
Writes the violation and notifies the property owner. This will take a couple days for the process.
The property owner has ten days to mitigate the situation.
Code Enforcement reinspects after ten days and the issue hasn't been fixed.
Another notice is sent, again with a ten day mitigation process.
Code Enforcement reinspects after ten days.
If the violation is still present a violation is issued.
There's another ten days to mitigate and now the property owner can appeal the violation to Circuit Court.

That's the due process written into State law.

Thanks for all the information. It seems a foundational assumption you're making here is that a warning is being issued? These tickets are all being closed with the following disposition. I've called and asked and the agent told me this means an inspector visited and saw nothing was wrong.

Outcome No Violation
Response The property was inspected and no violations were found.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the information. It seems a foundational assumption you're making here is that a warning is being issued? These tickets are all being closed with the following disposition. I've called and asked and the agent told me this means an inspector visited and saw nothing was wrong.

Outcome No Violation
Response The property was inspected and no violations were found.
I'd have to see the pictures but also realize that not everything is a violation.

I know you won't like that answer.

Old 07-12-2023, 02:06 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
So what's the violation? Are they actually putting trash in the street? Or do you just mean they put trash out for garbage pickup? Is it not bagged to your liking? Is it not in a bin to your liking? Do you have an HOA or local government that has jurisdiction rather than the county? You wrote a long tirade but it didn't actual contain much relevant information.

Old 07-12-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
So what's the violation? Are they actually putting trash in the street? Or do you just mean they put trash out for garbage pickup? Is it not bagged to your liking? Is it not in a bin to your liking? Do you have an HOA or local government that has jurisdiction rather than the county? You wrote a long tirade but it didn't actual contain much relevant information.
You know, I didn't think of that piece. If he's in a municipality then the County might not have jurisdiction (although with the way municipalities are set up in Prince George's with their relationship to the County that would be somewhat rare).

Old 07-12-2023, 03:26 PM

I am saying that every single case of 'Private Property Concerns' in the County (whether submitted by me or someone else in an entirely different part of the County) to my understanding from viewing PGC311 data is being closed as 'No Violation' unless it is an 'Alteration Without Permits' case.

I thought it would be helpful to everyone to raise what appeared to be a systemic issue of mismanagement; sounds like it is not helpful to others here, so I will continue to pursue offline.

Old 07-12-2023, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I am saying that every single case of 'Private Property Concerns' in the County (whether submitted by me or someone else in an entirely different part of the County) to my understanding from viewing PGC311 data is being closed as 'No Violation' unless it is an 'Alteration Without Permits' case.

I thought it would be helpful to everyone to raise what appeared to be a systemic issue of mismanagement; sounds like it is not helpful to others here, so I will continue to pursue offline.
Contact your District County Council member.

As far as "no violation" goes, if the issue gets fixed after a Code Enforcement contact then there isn't a violation.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:23 PM

44 posts, read 46,051 times
Quote:

You are not alone. There are a lot of us out here who have the same observation. What happens is then the service request just gets submitted again. If anyone wants to entertain themselves all they need do is scroll through the "status" of service requests to see the number of requests that have been re-submitted because they were closed out without any detailed explanation and without "resolution". For some they have had the same problem for 3 years or more and still nothing is being done. It is especially notable for "private property concerns". It's as if somebody does not want to do the work.

There was a hearing held by the county council earlier this year seeking comments from the county residents regarding DPIE. They got an earful. There is a problem with code enforcement and I dare any council member to say otherwise. Also, there are not enough inspectors to field service requests for the county. I believe the current budget finally includes additional inspectors, but for the size of the county and the number of legitimate service request there are still likely not enough inspectors for expeditious resolution.

It is not your imagination. There is empirical evidence to support your perspective. That's what's so frustrating. It takes forever to get codes enforced and honestly, you cannot depend on reporting it to 311. You've got to wear people out associated with DPIE and wear your council member out and wear out the police department with your complaint until you get satisfaction. If the service request is closed out without sufficient resolution, resubmit it and include the service request numbers and dates for all the earlier submissions for the same issue, so that someone will be held accountable for doing nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland