Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:05 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Watkins Mill (G'burg), Northwest (G'town), Gaithersburg, Quince Orchard (G'burg), and Seneca Valley (G'town). And yes they're all on Newsweek's top HS list. And yes I know how much you hate Jay Matthews and that list since the corrupt HS administrators force students to take AP's so they'll rank highly so you can spare us the lecture, but have you noticed that the schools on the list (including the schools in Prince George's County) are also well-regarded by organizations/publications other than Newsweek and have the best reputations.
If those schools are "awesome," then I suppose Churchill, Whitman, Wootton, and BCC would be considered sublime to you?

I don't "hate" Matthews's list. I just think it's extremely flawed.

What other orgs and publications are you referring to?

Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report

Old 10-18-2009, 09:37 PM

658 posts, read 1,785,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
If those schools are "awesome," then I suppose Churchill, Whitman, Wootton, and BCC would be considered sublime to you?

You could also argue that U.S. News' methodology is just as flawed as Matthews. It places a emphasis on minority enrollment and percentage of economically disadvantaged individuals enrolled at these schools. For some schools, including TJ and the MoCo schools that were deemed "Gold", the minority populations and percentage of economically disadvantaged students are low. Are we really suppossed to be impressed that TJ, a magnet school with less than 2% free and reduced lunch students scored well? I'm actually more impressed that Stuart, in Fall Church with has higher minority students and low income population made it on the list.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:47 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post
You could also argue that U.S. News' methodology is just as flawed as Matthews. It places a emphasis on minority enrollment and percentage of economically disadvantaged individuals enrolled at these schools. For some schools, including TJ and the MoCo schools that were deemed "Gold", the minority populations and percentage of economically disadvantaged students are low. Are we really suppossed to be impressed that TJ, a magnet school with less than 2% free and reduced lunch students scored well? I'm actually more impressed that Stuart, in Fall Church with has higher minority students and low income population made it on the list.
What's your bone about TJ and minorities? Did you notice that TJ is majority minority? It's about 55% asian.

BTW, both US News and Newsweek can be flawed, but Newsweek only focuses on AP tests to determine a schools ranking, which is pure bunk.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:02 AM

658 posts, read 1,785,560 times
Quote:
What's your bone about TJ and minorities? Did you notice that TJ is majority minority? It's about 55% asian.

BTW, both US News and Newsweek can be flawed, but Newsweek only focuses on AP tests to determine a schools ranking, which is pure bunk.
I have no bone with TJ or minorities considering I'm South Asian myself. I don't think I said anywhere that TJ was not a superior school, but the method that US News is using has flaws within the method they are measuring the top schools. Same with the MoCo schools that ranked high on their list. Furthermore, Asians are not considered economically disadvantaged minorities since the median income of Asians is the highest amongst elasticities in the US.

And yes, I agree that Newsweek's rankings are equally flawed.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:18 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
Quote:

I wouldn't use "sublime" but I think that would be a fair assesment of 3 of the top 100 public schools in the country (that's out of ~27,000 i.e. in the top 0.37%). Yeah, but those school I mentioned aren't "awesome" at all. Only a really terrible parent would send their children to any of those schools. MCPS really sucks. I wonder why Matthew's list so widely cited?

For the record, three different publications/orgs (Newsweek, Education Week, and the College Board) rank Maryland #1 for high school education so I don't understand why you keep bashing MD schools (first in PGC, now in MoCo).

-MARYLAND’S STATE EDUCATION SYSTEM RANKS NUMBER ONE OVERALL
-ANOTHER NUMBER ONE RANKING FOR MARYLAND SCHOOLS
-MARYLAND PUBLIC SCHOOLS LEAD THE NATION ONCE AGAIN

Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
Thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland