Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:44 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,213,194 times

Advertisements

Spare the crying..it was republican president and republican lead congress that for 6 years did nothing about illegal immigration or employer hiring. You want illegals to go away just quit hiring them....its really not that hard of concept...

Old 06-28-2008, 10:51 PM

10,149 posts, read 15,847,496 times
Psychofan, no, I personally will never be in job competition with illegals but....a lot of things. Illegals strain our hospitals and other public services. They area strain on our economy because they come here to cheat the system and get benefits like welfare and food stamps without paying taxes, and they send money away back to their home countries. They are responsible for a lot fo the crime in Maryland and Virginia, such as MS-13 being the nation's most violent gang. A lot of hospitals have shut down because illegals without insurance are abusing them. Illegals also have a high rate of drinking and driving on our streets and highways. I also think of other Americans who ARE losing jobs to illegals, such as inner-city residents and some people in rural areas.

Above that, its an emotional thing. Its not fair that my parents came here legally and earned the right to be American and these people jump the border and act so arrogant, like we owe them everything. They honestly seem to believe they are entitled to sneak into our country and demand things from us. And its a pet peeve when someone moves into my community or my country and openly and proudly refuses to respect our culture or our way of life. I don't like it when people move in and try to change our way of life. I'm posted some stuff about Yankees moving our state and bringing their brash, rude, unfriendly, harried attitudes here without respect for our way of life. Its the same with illegal aliens coming to our nation and refusing to learn our language and openly hating this country and waving their own flags from their homes and cars and even marching in support of illegals.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:53 PM

10,149 posts, read 15,847,496 times
Iscalder, ghetto is a type of mentality and lifestyle like you find in the inner cities. It doesn't have to be racially related. I've had friends describe white ghetto areas in Frederick, Philly and Boston. People are overemphasing the racial aspect now with that term. I know white people who are punk ghetto trash and black people who are uppity, elitist arrogant snobs. Its your mentality and your values, not your color.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:54 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,292,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Iscalder, ghetto is a type of mentality and lifestyle like you find in the inner cities. It doesn't have to be racially related. I've had friends describe white ghetto areas in Frederick, Philly and Boston. People are overemphasing the racial aspect now with that term. I know white people who are punk ghetto trash and black people who are uppity, elitist arrogant snobs. Its your mentality and your values, not your color.

Main Entry: 1ghet·to
Pronunciation: \ˈge-(ˌ)tō\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural ghettos also ghettoes
Etymology: Italian, from Venetian dialect ghèto island where Jews were forced to live, literally, foundry (located on the island), from ghetàr to cast, from Latin jactare to throw — more at jet
Date: 1611
1: a quarter of a city in which Jews were formerly required to live
2: a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure
3 a: an isolated group <a geriatric ghetto> b: a situation that resembles a ghetto especially in conferring inferior status or limiting opportunity <the pink-collar ghetto>

Old 06-29-2008, 05:06 PM

6,957 posts, read 11,230,346 times
I think a little historical perspective is needed to understand the "illegal" immigration issue. Lower income people, who don't speak English, who live in their own inward looking communities, who send their hard earned money back to the homeland have been the model of immigration since the middle of the 19th century. First it was the Irish, then the Italians, Greeks, Poles, and Russian Jews, now it is Hispanics.

Every time a new group comes to America, these same arguments are brought up. People thought the Irish were a inferior race, worth less than enslaved Africans. Italians were dirty and violent. Poles were stupid, Greeks and Jews were not trustworthy, and so on. The common theme is that all of these groups acculturated into the American society. All of the immigrant's children and grandchildren learned English, they got educated, and within a few generations, often times soon, they took a place along side all of the other American groups.

If we use history as our guide, we must accept the fact that this same pattern will happen with the current Hispanic immigrants. In fact, I would argue it already is. Is their some cost involved? Are their legal barriers that our government has erected that didn't exist 100 years ago? Will the current self-identified "Americans' have to put aside misconceptions, prejudice, and our own sense of entitlement to the American dream to accept new people? The answer to these questions is of course, YES. But going back to larger theme I am trying to get across, we need to view this situation with some perspective of the history of our country, and our own ancestors to understand and move forward on the issue.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:57 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,404,859 times
Moderator note:
This is a topic of national interest and not just a Maryland specific issue. If members would like to further this discussion, please do a search in the Politics and Other Controversies forum and I'm sure you will find like threads.
Thanks.
7th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland